Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1339847289' post='1695301']
these must be some of the very same people i see posting ads on joinmyband and similar <_<
[/quote]

Precisely. Like those lot who are just like "+++AWESOME+++ new band looking for drummer, bass player, rhythm guitarist and singer. Must be age 14-17 etc..."

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339856517' post='1695481']
Precisely. Like those lot who are just like "+++AWESOME+++ new band looking for drummer, bass player, rhythm guitarist and singer. Must be age 14-17 etc..."
[/quote]
...... ability not as important as commitment and ideas and enthusiasm

..................... </yawn>

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1339853614' post='1695425']
It's not just that bass players that use picks are inferior - it's that bass players in general are inferior. I mean, come on - don't we all secretly wish we could play lead guitar (as opposed to rhythm guitar, which is almost as inferior as bass) ?

Sometimes I feel so inferior playing behind a guitar solo, swooning over every flourish of wildly exaggerated notes, that I crumble inside and forget to play - but then the song falls apart and the guitarist screams at me to keep playing because now, all of a sudden, HIS playing is irrelevant and he actually seems to NEED me to keep playing. Can we really be worthless and irreplaceable at the same time?

As a closet guitarist, I am so confused as to what to do with the bass - do I play? When do I play? What do I play? Less is more? Pick or fingers? Lock in with the kick drum? Don't lock in with the kick drum? Meticulously plot the cruel and agonising death of everyone not in the rhythm section whilst playing a repetitive bass line ad nauseum between yet another heart breaking guitar solo?

Oh, cruel life - why can't I be as fluid as Jeff Beck? And as irony would have, Jeff Beck plays guitar with his fingers.............
[/quote]

Thankfully, I have never felt inferior (unconfident at times...yes) as a bassist, and no, I never had the wish to play anything other the bass, though it is good to be able to play more than one instrument. You are correct when you say that when the bassist stops playing, then the whole shebang falls apart. So why think you'r inferior ?

As for what/when/how to play, this is where the "musician" (rather than the bassist) kicks in. A good rule of thumb is let your ears dictate. Generally, if it sounds good, then it is good.

I used to play the bass with my Dad's teeth but, unfortunately, they were cremated with him so I had to go back to using my fingers.

I started using a pick when I was playing HM but,as my technique improved, I jsut found I got a sound that I liked more using my fingers. I never use a pick on bass (do on guitar) but, when you hear guys like Steve Swallow and Bobby Vega, how can anyone look don their noses at those who go down that route. Anthony Jackson used a pick on a lot of the Al Dimeola stuff he did. As did Tim Landers when they played that stuff live.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrO29hsWgto[/media]

Here is AJ in action - sound is iffy but worth a look, especially AJ's fills at 7.10ish. Really original stuff.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keAuhMKCCKE[/media]

I'm of the opinion that the very best players would be competent at fingers, pick and slap.

I play fingers and slap 99% of the time. But if a tune needs a pick, then it gets a pick.

Funnily enough I play with fingers for a very simple reason... I kept losing picks!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1339859359' post='1695530']
I'm of the opinion that the very best players would be competent at fingers, pick and slap.
[/quote]

I agree. I always think the best player is someone who is not just great at one particular technique, but a whole range of different styles and techniques across the board. To be honest I probably would have thought the same about whenever I lose picks if it wasn't for the fact that I play guitar as well lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I play fingers and slap 99% of the time. But if a tune needs a pick, then it gets a pick.

[b]Funnily enough I play with fingers for a very simple reason... I kept losing picks![/b]
[/quote]

that was me too ! lol.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339856239' post='1695473']
And stop calling them picks. Real bassists use plectrums.
[/quote]

[GIT] I think you'll find that's [i]plectra[/i]. [/GIT]

But you're right, of course. Plectra are rugged and manly. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

Absolutely.

I can't play with a plectra (?) or whatever it is we're calling picks now, and feel that my playing is very incomplete as a result. :(

FWiW (not much), from childhood and on, I was lead to believe that real guitarists and real bassists used a pick. I was told as much. When I tried a wire instrument myself, I'd feel an idiot for using my fingers.

Now have 10 different picks that I got for free with my basses, and forget to use them almost every day. Am not giving up though.

[i]One day I'll be one of the small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a plectrum[/i].

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339836197' post='1695047']
I know, sorry. Just a bit angry about stupid kids posting comments on some bass facebook page last night.[/quote]

:) No need to apologise, Ed. It's just me being old and grumpy again. Surprised you missed the smut, though.

AFAIC, using a pick, fingers or slapping are just means to an end. Tools which are suitable to the task in hand, if you like. You'd use a hammer to bang in a nail and a screwdriver to - well, you get my drift.

We all know this and I don't see why we so frequently get analytical or defensive about it. I just can't imagine a thread on a woodworking forum where someone would say "Hammers - they're for failed brickies" and they'd give it more than a hollow laugh.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Posted Today, 03:15 PM[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1694921"][/url]Johngh, on 16 June 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

Geddy[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339856121' post='1695471']
Less likely to beat you to death if you told him he wasn't a real bassist..
[/quote]

...and not likely to be found playing with a pick - even when playing guitar.

I started out with a pick in the early 80s, have no idea when I ditched it & don't recall making a conscious decision about it. Sometimes I come across songs where I think it would be better if I did use one, but I struggle with them these days & certainly don't think it's an inferior technique. Besides, Chris Squire is one of my favourite bassists, a definite pick user and I wouldn't describe him as 'not real'.