Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

Exclusively a pick player and have been for 38 years.
No-one has ever commented on it in that time... :huh: Don't get it.

As has been said, if you can play well and it sounds good, then so what..? Perhaps it's a throwback to the early days when electric bass was looked down on by 'doghouse' players... the first electric bass players were ex-doghouse and tended to play with their fingers.

It was only when the likes of Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn (both previously guitar players) started using picks with electric bass that it began to appear on hundreds of hit pop records... the rest his history. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO, NASA, NATO, TUC, BBC and so on. Edited by discreet

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1339835068' post='1695022']
I pick all of my basses. Often by travelling to a reputable music shop, having a mooch around, playing a few and finally exchanging hard earned cash for the one that I like the best.

Sorry, that should be "choose" or "select" or a different verb.

As you were.
[/quote]
[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339839848' post='1695113']
You see a fair few relic jobs on Ebay where the owner must have used a pick.

[/quote]

Not PICKAXE :P

I've only skimmed through this thread, but I reckon it should be down to what the the song needs. Anybody still play wth their thumb ?

I started with my thumb, then 2 fingers then 3, Allright, I know... :gas: Nowadays only 2, the rest dont work right ....Fingers always looked more 'Pro' to me when I was a kid.

I have used a pick, but didnt for so long that it takes an effort now. Can you still get those completely unuseable thick felt picks that used to be around ?

Edited by BRANCINI

I don't get this, its obvious both finger and pick style are skills that can be pushed to the limits and can't be done well with serious practice over time

Love the Intricate sounds and control finger style can give,

Love fast accurate aggressive pick line, where the slightest error would spoil it

Edited by lojo

I always found this a funny one - I tried (unsuccessfully I might add) to learn guitar first, a few years ago, and I just never really got on with it. Naturally I preferred to play with my fingers and I just couldn't use a pick for the life of me. Having a 'gap' between what I could feel really threw me... so when I decided to give bass a go a few years later naturally i played with my fingers first. I'd always loved the way that a bassist's fingers glided from the higher to the lower strings with such an effortless, butter-smooth motion :D (That's something I still haven't quite nailed either)

And again when it came to a pick, I just couldn't seem to get it, so I avoided using one. I think the first song that I learned that forced me to use a pick was Ace of Spades, and that was the one I always practiced on, and that's what let me nail playing fast with a pick... I think it was a confidence thing more than anything, as is often the case. I think it's down to the song though, what sounds and feels right

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339794827' post='1694654']
Mostly just 15 year old kids who think just because they have learned how to play their favourite Mark King song using just their fingers, it means they are the best bass player who has ever lived and everyone who uses a bit of plastic must therefore be inferior. Do you think any of these dickheads have ever tried using a pick for any length of time? Maybe if they did, they would realise that it actually does wear out your hand, trying to play fast and accurately on just one string. Picks aren't just for pussies or failed guitarists. I use a pick maybe about 75% of the time. I try to let the music dictate what I play, rather than just because that's what my favourite fret-****** does...

/rant.
[/quote]
these must be some of the very same people i see posting ads on joinmyband and similar <_<

usually my age inhibits me from applying to join their little band (but moreover decency and good taste is the real answer) :D

Play both and cover all bases.

Cant really see why one would suggest one over the other. We play to make songs sound good n fat n groovy, pick or fingers? tomatoe tomato.

I guess anyone wiling to point the snob finger is insecure and seeks feelings of superiority through belittling others. All very silly if you ask me.

Just play and sound the best you can. Job done

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1339850951' post='1695382']

Just play and sound the best you can. Job done
[/quote]

+100.

"Real" bass players pay no attention to what others think about the silly "pick v fingers" arguement. They just play what's most comfortable to them, what is most pleasing to the ear, and what they think suits the music.

Job done !! ;)

I love playing with a pick on a few songs. They are covers an if the original was played with a pick then I will use one as well. Sometimes I actually favour a pick over fingers, like playing Killing in the name by RATM.

It's not just that bass players that use picks are inferior - it's that bass players in general are inferior. I mean, come on - don't we all secretly wish we could play lead guitar (as opposed to rhythm guitar, which is almost as inferior as bass) ?

Sometimes I feel so inferior playing behind a guitar solo, swooning over every flourish of wildly exaggerated notes, that I crumble inside and forget to play - but then the song falls apart and the guitarist screams at me to keep playing because now, all of a sudden, HIS playing is irrelevant and he actually seems to NEED me to keep playing. Can we really be worthless and irreplaceable at the same time?

As a closet guitarist, I am so confused as to what to do with the bass - do I play? When do I play? What do I play? Less is more? Pick or fingers? Lock in with the kick drum? Don't lock in with the kick drum? Meticulously plot the cruel and agonising death of everyone not in the rhythm section whilst playing a repetitive bass line ad nauseum between yet another heart breaking guitar solo?

Oh, cruel life - why can't I be as fluid as Jeff Beck? And as irony would have, Jeff Beck plays guitar with his fingers.............

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339851057' post='1695388']
I can't see why it matters - isn't is all about the music?
[/quote]
+1 Totally agree, I originally used a pick then converted to fingers and recently tried a pick again to get a certain sound for a song and I was totally useless :unsure: so I can appreciate the technique.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1339853614' post='1695425']
It's not just that bass players that use picks are inferior - it's that bass players in general are inferior. I mean, come on - don't we all secretly wish we could play lead guitar (as opposed to rhythm guitar, which is almost as inferior as bass) ?

Sometimes I feel so inferior playing behind a guitar solo, swooning over every flourish of wildly exaggerated notes, that I crumble inside and forget to play - but then the song falls apart and the guitarist screams at me to keep playing because now, all of a sudden, HIS playing is irrelevant and he actually seems to NEED me to keep playing. Can we really be worthless and irreplaceable at the same time?

As a closet guitarist, I am so confused as to what to do with the bass - do I play? When do I play? What do I play? Less is more? Pick or fingers? Lock in with the kick drum? Don't lock in with the kick drum? Meticulously plot the cruel and agonising death of everyone not in the rhythm section whilst playing a repetitive bass line ad nauseum between yet another heart breaking guitar solo?

Oh, cruel life - why can't I be as fluid as Jeff Beck? And as irony would have, Jeff Beck plays guitar with his fingers.............
[/quote]

man, i thought i was insecure.. :D

get a grip. bass is everything. :)