Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

Mostly just 15 year old kids who think just because they have learned how to play their favourite Mark King song using just their fingers, it means they are the best bass player who has ever lived and everyone who uses a bit of plastic must therefore be inferior. Do you think any of these dickheads have ever tried using a pick for any length of time? Maybe if they did, they would realise that it actually does wear out your hand, trying to play fast and accurately on just one string. Picks aren't just for pussies or failed guitarists. I use a pick maybe about 75% of the time. I try to let the music dictate what I play, rather than just because that's what my favourite fret-****** does...

/rant.

Edited by Johngh
Language

The big ****** for me is that I really wanted a violin bass to use with the [url="http://www.getbackband.co.uk/"]Getback band[/url] but could I find a Youtube vid with someone using just their fingers? Could I buggery.

Just those big macho pick players

I use a pick for maybe 4 songs in a night and the rest is pure fingers.

One of my all time favourite bass players is big Chris Squire and guess what? he uses a pick

Edited by Johngh

I've never used a pick, I just Feel slightly limited when I use one (plus they hurt my hand/wrist). Justin Chancellor is a massive inspiration of mine and he uses a pick. Loads of great players use them just personally I don't enjoy using one. I think a lot of people just assume because they use one they can't play with fingers, which is just silly

I sometimes don't consider myself a "real" (or more accurately, experienced) bass player because I don't use a pick. I've just not developed my technique with one because it comes harder to me than finger style. I've just had more practice with finger style I guess.

Aren't we a wee bit early with this year's Pick thread? I'm [i]sure[/i] someone told me it was arranged for August.

Oh well "Fingers ... drone ... pick ... yadda yadda ... hybrid style ... stick it between one's teeth or a quick palming action? ... blah ... what's right for the song ... double thumbing ... double entry..." (Will this do?)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1339795958' post='1694704']
I think a lot of people just assume because they use one they can't play with fingers, which is just silly
[/quote]

I can't play with a pick :lol:

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1339798589' post='1694779']
Does anyone really believe that? Seriously?
[/quote]

Yep, as I said above I genuinely did for ages :blink:

I come from playing the e-guitar and i think personally playing with a pick with bass is kind of awkward. It doesn't leave the surface of the string quite the way that I'm used to / I expect it to, so makes me feel funny while playing and my timing goes off a bit because of it. So I'll just stick to using fingers methinks.

The concept of 'pick playing being for amateurs' or whatever is moronic. Luckily most people get this now, and those that don't generally don't have a good understanding of music and are happy to propagate that lack of understanding to a wider audience... enter Youtube and such.