Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.6, Surrey, Saturday 29th September 2012

Hamster

Date: [b]Saturday 29 September 2012[/b]
Time: [b]10am - 5pm[/b]
Venue: [b]Jubilee High School, Surrey, School Lane, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 1TE[/b]

Venue link: [url="http://www.jubileehigh.surrey.sch.uk/"][color=#0f72da]Jubilee High School Website[/color][/url]
[url="http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=504208&y=164434&z=0&sv=KT15+1TE&st=2&pc=KT15+1TE&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf"][color=#0f72da]MAP LINK[/color][/url]

Okay, so here's the Register of attendees so far:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Hamster - Fender Hotrod P/J, Bareface Compact, Auralex Gramma Pad, SFX Thumpinator; either Markbass 800 Tube or Ampeg PF500 Portaflex
2. BigBeatNut - Rob Allen Deep 5, Status Electro, Lakland 55-02 Fretless, Markbass CMD121P, a selection of SFX micro pedals
3. Stingray5 - Musicman StingRay5 and Stingray fretless, Tune TWB-6, Trace Elliot BLX-80 combo, Boss GT-6B fx, Gramma Pad, (+ raffle bits & freebies).
4 OBBM - undecided on basses but Schroeder cab(s) and mini-rack Mk2 (+raffle bits)
5. Charic (tentative) - ACG Finn 4 (Drop C tuning), Yamaha RBX6JM, Modded Fender MIM, TC RH450, 2 x TC RS210, Line6 DL4 (delay pedal), Behringer Chorus Pedal
6. Happy Jack - Ampeg Baby Bass and (just for OBBM) at last I'll bring along a Hofner Verithin. If there's enough (any) interest, I could also bring along a Fishman Fusion pedal plus a rig to play through.
7. Macdaddy - custom shuker or custom Iceni Zoot or Hamer Blitz + raffle bits
8. Billyapple - Gibson Thunderbird, Un-Finished Wishbass Lobe, Matamp GT200 Head, Matamp 212 Cab, DHA VT1 Eq
9. Walman - (assuming it'll all fit in the smaller car I got last year as I was cutting down on gear ) Wal Pro1/Custom hybrid, 2 x G&L L2500 US, Tanglewater ClassicJ, Roland PK5 bass pedals w DSI MoPho synth, GenzBenz Streamliner 6, BF Super12T - alternatively a poll on which to bring may be required
10. OliverBlackman- going to bring the Tokai as it seems in a recent thread not many have experienced the 80's Jazz sounds.
11. Shockwave - Gibson RD and Gibson Grabber or Fender P-J Antigua.
12. dc2009 (tentative) - Warwick Corvette $$ 5 Special Edition, Lakland Skyline 55-01. Sansamp, SYB-5, Q-tron+, BSY600. Anything more will need a lift!
13. Eude (tentative) - ACG Finn SC Classic BO 5 string 33" Scale, ACG Finn SC Classic BO 6 String 33" Scale, Ibanez Promethean 5110C & EAD Foundation 112 3-way Prototype.
14.Bloodaxe (tentative) - Aria SB-1000 Frankenfretless, Ibanez Promethean 5110C [might add the SB-900 & Bloody ZZB Custom to this if anyone's driving from E or SE postcodes & I can blag a lift]
15. 51m0n - the usual guff (Roscoe, Berg, MB blah blah, if in doubt check my sig) + a very tentative PluxTheDuck & related kit
16. Urb - Sei bass plus laptop (maybe) and my fingers
17. Seashell - Fender Precision (MIM) and Ibanez SRX500. No rig!
18. Merton - multiscale 5 prototype, other things maybe, like Mikey's sleeping bag
19. Russ - Sei Bass 5-string fretted singlecut, Sei Bass 5-string fretless J, Ampeg SVT-7, Markbass 106H
20. Silverfoxnik - Roscoe Beck 5, Schecter Diamond P 5, BC Rich Eagle, Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600 head, SWR Triad, Boss ME-50B
21.Bassmanady-Yamaha BB 2005,Yamaha BB605
22. Hen Barn - Status Kingbass
23. 6feet7 - matching pair 1999 Fender Hotrod Precision & Jazz basses, GUS G3 Retro Active
24.Barneyg42 -Status S2 classic 5 headless, Status series 1 five, NGC Nanyo Bass Collection fretted and fretless,MXR pre into Crown poweramp into Acme low B and Barefaced Compact
25. Ashwood1985 - Streamer $$ 5, Thumb BO4, Silver Series Jazz Squire, maybe SR1000 FL, Roland D-Bass 210 combo, Sansamp BDDI, EBS Unichorus and IQ, maybe Bassmurf
26. ped - Vigier Passion, S2 1988, Roland V-bass, arse hair clippers
27.TheGreek - the unsellable Overwater J4, possibly my custom headless, GK backline 110
28. Sibob - Barefaced Compacts, Markbass LMII, Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (probably for sale), '71 Precision, '03 or '73 Jazz. Effects?
29.JHK-(99% sure) GB Spitfire five,TRB6P,TRB5P,MM Stingray five fretless,probably a little bit of EDEN gear.
30. Fat Rich - 70s P and J basses, 5 String Status S2, Hartke XL410[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]31. Tom Kent - Fodera Emperor 5 Standard, Fender Jazz (and maybe some others.. awaiting confirmation); Krampera KVB800 w/ B1T & B1B.. I'll see what pedals I can dig out.[/color][/font]
32. Si600 - Aria Pro II 5 String, Peterson Stomp Classic and TC Nova Dynamics.

Nik will be along sometime over the weekend to start to add some detail to the day. I expect we'll be asking for donations to a prize raffle as usual, so start dusting off your Alembics and '58 Fenders to donate!

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1339688965' post='1692787']
Date: Saturday 29 September[b] 2011[/b]
[/quote]

I'll need to get a quote on a pre-owned time machine. If I get one at a decent price anyone want a trip back with me?

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1339702666' post='1693109']
I'll need to get a quote on a pre-owned time machine. If I get one at a decent price anyone want a trip back with me?
[/quote]

If you do get the time machine in time, then I'd be happy to share petrol money / plutonium for the flux capacitor.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1339702666' post='1693109']
[/quote]
Lolz - the perils of posting in your tea breaks!!! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339705753' post='1693207']
I'll be there.

Need a drummer?
[/quote]

I'll let Nik answer that one. If Paul can't make it, I have a mate who is 60 seconds away from the school who is a pro rock (UFO) drummer who I can approach.

If you want to volunteer your services/skills to present a seminar/idiots guide to something then please contact silverfoxnik.

Jake Newman - Can I put you down for a Dubstep masterclass? - but you must wear a tuxedo.

Also - put your suggestions down for something (apart from bacon butties and free beer) that you would find really helpful. None of us are so proud that we think we know everything about every genre/aspect of bass playing.

Corporate Supporters: - If you are from a manufacturer/music shop/business that is involved with the low end - then get involved here! BassDay 2012 / NAMM 2012 it is not - but it is a great bunch of people who will spread the word about your product/services in your South East area.

Left field idea, I do vocal workshops. Would any of you guys who do backing vocals, lead vocals, or otherwise! be interested in a workshop on vocals? The technique I teach (SLS) gets voices in shape incredibly quickly and with others to hear you'd be surprised at how quickly results can be gained even in a short period of time. I'd be able to work with individuals and fix trouble areas in the workshop as well as do a Q&A on various things. I can also do one-on-one lessons whilst there if anyone is interested. Do post here to express interest and/or PM where relevant.

Alternatively, on a more bass-related front, I'd be happy to introduce some players to the wonders of bass synth!

I should be there as usual.

Dunno if anyone would want to put up with me banging on about anything again this year. If anyone does fancy another comical tirade about the perils of one knob compressors or the lies that abound in the world of recordings then feel free to ask....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339779286' post='1694314']
I should be there as usual.

Dunno if anyone would want to put up with me banging on about anything again this year. If anyone does fancy another comical tirade about the perils of one knob compressors or the lies that abound in the world of recordings then feel free to ask....
[/quote]

Yep, please do - either of the above. :D

Ok, what would be really interesting, and would put alot of myths to bed:

1) create a sampled loop of a bass playing live on the day.
2) play this out through a cranked valve amp into one of Alexs cabs
3) put an volt meter or similar measuring device on the output of the amplifier, so that we can get a rough estimate of the RMS voltage (yes, I know P=V^2/R - bear with me)
4) record the spl coming out of the speaker - possibly whist observing from the next county.
5) swap out the valve amp for a solid state amp
6) match the spl
7) measure the voltage RMS required to get the same SPL.
8) calculate the difference in power and / or dB required to match the two.

Does anyone have any kit to try out this experiment?

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1339967491' post='1697083']
Ok, what would be really interesting, and would put alot of myths to bed:

1) create a sampled loop of a bass playing live on the day.
2) play this out through a cranked valve amp into one of Alexs cabs
3) put an volt meter or similar measuring device on the output of the amplifier, so that we can get a rough estimate of the RMS voltage (yes, I know P=V^2/R - bear with me)
4) record the spl coming out of the speaker - possibly whist observing from the next county.
5) swap out the valve amp for a solid state amp
6) match the spl
7) measure the voltage RMS required to get the same SPL.
8) calculate the difference in power and / or dB required to match the two.

Does anyone have any kit to try out this experiment?
[/quote]

Sounds fun. I could donate a Matamp GT200 Head for the valve bit. And you'd be welcome to turn the knob to full if you like, I know I have.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339968116' post='1697091']
Sounds fun. I could donate a Matamp GT200 Head for the valve bit. And you'd be welcome to turn the knob to full if you like, I know I have.
[/quote]

Ahh, brilliant!

So, we need some kind of loop sampler, an SPL meter, a voltmeter, a couple of Compacts (Alex? :D), and a nice big solid state amp (Merton?)