Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.6, Surrey, Saturday 29th September 2012

Hamster

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1339967491' post='1697083']
Ok, what would be really interesting, and would put alot of myths to bed:

1) create a sampled loop of a bass playing live on the day.
2) play this out through a cranked valve amp into one of Alexs cabs
3) put an volt meter or similar measuring device on the output of the amplifier, so that we can get a rough estimate of the RMS voltage (yes, I know P=V^2/R - bear with me)
4) record the spl coming out of the speaker - possibly whist observing from the next county.
5) swap out the valve amp for a solid state amp
6) match the spl
7) measure the voltage RMS required to get the same SPL.
8) calculate the difference in power and / or dB required to match the two.

Does anyone have any kit to try out this experiment?
[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea !

It'd also be good to hear some different basses & different rigs A/B'd against each other when played in the Jam Room with a drummer .

Oh buggeration! I'm on my way back from my honeymoon that weekend - we're literally passing the door on our way back up the M4/M25. D'yer think my new missus will mind me popping in for a few hours? Might need to do some explaining as to why there's a bass and amp in the car on the way down :blink:

This will be the second Bash I've missed - last year it was my sister's turn to tie the knot that weekend :happy:

All the best
Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1340014552' post='1697505']
Oh buggeration! I'm on my way back from my honeymoon that weekend - we're literally passing the door on our way back up the M4/M25. D'yer think my new missus will mind me popping in for a few hours? Might need to do some explaining as to why there's a bass and amp in the car on the way down :blink:

This will be the second Bash I've missed - last year it was my sister's turn to tie the knot that weekend :happy:

All the best
Ian
[/quote]

Could be the shortest marriage on record if you try to come to the Bash, Ian?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1340010460' post='1697412']
It'd also be good to hear some different basses & different rigs A/B'd against each other when played in the Jam Room with a drummer .
[/quote]

Yes, especially if they all use different and expensive tonewoods ....

:ph34r:

Great! Re vocal workshop, can people let me know things that they find difficult, or what sort of help they'd be looking for,

e.g. i sing lead but am unhappy with my tone
i sing backing vocals but don't feel confident
i find my voice jams up at a particular place and I can't go higher...
i find i struggle with consistency across my range
i find i lose my voice very quickly and/or regularly
etc

If people chip in then I know what I need to cover in detail, or which bits to skip over entirely. The more honest you are the more I can give you what I can.

+1!

I would also be interested in a little singing workshop! My problem is that my volume is all over the place, I either sing very quietly for some notes and very loudly for others. I also have quite an abrasive voice, need some tips on how to tame it a little. Id like a Billie Holliday sort of quality if thats ok?

Truckstop

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1340035296' post='1698004']
Could be the shortest marriage on record if you try to come to the Bash, Ian?
[/quote]
Yup :P

I've decided to err on the side of caution, so I'm missing out this one chaps :(

Better luck next year I guess!

Ian

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1340193865' post='1700720']
Swimming not your strong suit?
[/quote]

I swim like a well turned out killer whale, just not whilst losing control of my bowels and hollering in a poor impersonation of a one man s**t storm....

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1340182673' post='1700380']On the vocals issue, the thing I suspect most people will want to ask about is singing and playing a bassline at the same time ...[/quote]
Sure. We can look at that, though a lot of being able to do that comes down to proficiency and confidence with both instruments in their own right (voice + guitar/bass), as well as knowing both parts you're trying to do really well by themselves.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1340184966' post='1700461']Id like a Billie Holliday sort of quality if thats ok?[/quote]
I'm really not sure how to respond to this.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340274716' post='1702005']
He wants to be a girl. :D[/quote]

*shudder*

Which of course reminds me of this...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgAveqH5jTc&t=0m44s[/url]

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1340180509' post='1700306']
Great! Re vocal workshop, can people let me know things that they find difficult, or what sort of help they'd be looking for,

e.g.
i sing backing vocals but don't feel confident
i find i struggle with consistency across my range

[/quote]

These two. I was doing some "ooohs" over a chorus on Sunday and our guitarist turned ot me and said "ooh, nice!" so the next chorus I totally f**ked it up :)

FYI, if anyone is interested in getting some idea of what I can offer for a workshop you can visit [url="http://www.markjwgraham.co.uk"]www.markjwgraham.co.uk[/url] I've also got a growing blog at [url="http://www.markjwgraham.co.uk/blog"]www.markjwgraham.co.uk/blog[/url] that also has clips of issues you might recognise in yourself and how we can address them.

[/schpiel]