Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

chaypup

I've got a dilemma that I would like to hear your opinions on.

I've got a nice holiday booked for 2 and a bit weeks in August - going to Croatia, then inter-railing through Italy, Switzerland France and Spain to end up at La Tomantina festival in Valencia. All this with Mrs Chaypup.

Now I've been offered the chance to tour with someone throughout the summer, and do some TV work too. The record company don't know exactly how many gigs or dates but say it 'should' be 2 or 3 gigs a week for July and August and all would be well paid. The only date they know for definite is at a good venue in London - on the missus' birthday!
When I was originally offered the gig I said that I had this holiday booked and they ummed and aahed but said they could get someone else in for that time but this seems a bit of an unprofessional way of doing things.

So, what would you do?

a) Cancel the holiday altogether and say I'll do the whole tour.
b )Wait till I know gig dates and hope I can re-jig the holiday around them.
c) Let them get someone in for the time I'm away and hope I keep the gig after that.
d) Turn down all the summer gigs but let them know I'd be available for future tours.

???

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1339595143' post='1691118']
e) Talk it over with Mrs Chaypup.
[/quote]

Well, she says she wouldn't stand in the way of me doing what I wanted to do and told me to do the gigs. I don't take her for granted though and wouldn't want to take the mickey.

I would actually tend towards either A or B - if your missus is supportive, and kudos to her, I know how it feels - just because you might actually lose not just this tour but the organisers/promoter themselves, who might like to keep the other guy instead.
It's down to how much you need them for future gigs and how likely you think they are to ruthlessly replace you.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1339595287' post='1691123']
Well, she says she wouldn't stand in the way of me doing what I wanted to do and told me to do the gigs. I don't take her for granted though and wouldn't want to take the mickey.
[/quote]

Then you're in the clear and can do the gigs - sounds like a good opportunity.

Couple of thoughts:

* Cost of cancelling holiday vs remuneration from gigs. Will you be quids out?

* Do the trip later - the countries you propose to visit are perfectly nice in September. Fewer tourists around, too, though many hotels, etc., may be closing up at season's end.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1339597488' post='1691194']
Couple of thoughts:

* Do the trip later - the countries you propose to visit are perfectly nice in September. Fewer tourists around, too, though many hotels, etc., may be closing up at season's end.
[/quote]

But if you cancel the gig you might not get the future work...

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1339595287' post='1691123']
[/quote]

Sounds like you have a loverly lady there. Do the gig then and make sure you re-schedule something extra special with all your earnings for your good lady.

Couple of thoughts:

[/quote]

You're right and if I offer to do the August gigs I'll ask to be recompensed cost of cancelling flights etc.
Doing the trip later would be a great option but I work in education so could only take that amount of time off in August.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339597217' post='1691187']
+1 to this, as long as your wife is okay with it of course.

Liam
[/quote]

Girlfriend not wife.. what do you call your unmarried other half in internetland? Ms Chaypup?

Couple of thoughts:

[/quote]

This seems the most logical, IMO. You could also throw in a special present for Mrs Chaypup, for being so supportive and understanding.

Depends on how the missus has answered. If she said, "do the gigs, if you want to", then you`re in bigtrub if you do. That "if you want to" is the sign that you will be forever classed as an evil-abomination-spawn of Adolf Hitler and Genghis Khan.

On a serious note, a chat with the missus yes, but definite dates from the company, so you are in the position to know exactly where you stand, and what may need to be changed.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1339594994' post='1691114']
The record company don't know exactly how many gigs or dates but say it 'should' be 2 or 3 gigs a week for July and August and all would be well paid. The only date they know for definite is at a good venue in London
[/quote]
Considering how close July is, I would be very reluctant to cancel the holiday. If they are not sure of the dates by now, then, there is every possibility that they won't happen.
Agree to do the gigs...OK, if they [b]do[/b] happen, then, you're down the cost of your holiday, but better that than no holiday [b]and[/b] no gigs. Trust me, I've learnt from bitter experience.

EDIT:
[i]'this seems a bit of an unprofessional way of doing things.[/i]'

Unprofessional by who(?) Nothing unprofessional about not being available.

Edited by SteveK