Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

Just because some bassists play simply and with economy doesn't necessarily mean that's ALL they can do...Adam Clayton gets a bit of a mauling, but what he does (in my opinion) is dead right for his band - with the guitarist firing off heavily effected arpeggios all over the place, if the Bassline was some overly complex techniquefest, U2 would sound like a million ball bearings being dropped down a lift shaft. Country Bassists play simply because they're not the focus and they don't want to get in the way of the melody. And quite right too.

Good playing is about feel, taste, and knowing when to shut the hell up.

Now, tell me about someone you think is good before we explore the mediocre.

Gotta disagree with Krist Nosavelic, Mike Dirnt and Jeff Ament! Just listen to Lounge Act, Longview and half the songs that Jeff Ament composed for Pearl Jam for proof of their playing :) They're all pretty solid, with some nice embellishment during most of the songs...hell, I sometimes get put off learning the songs accurately when looking at the tabs cos of how much work I'd have to put in getting them down accurately - though recently I have gotten used to playing simpler punk basslines, which might explain it :lol: Also love Rob Trujilo's tone - listen to the start of Metallica's Cyanide and tell me it doesn't do special things to you :P

I know I'm probably a bit late on the bandwagon for disagreeing with the OP's choices but I drank a large bottle of Boost on the way back from work just - it's the only energy drink that affects me - and I'm too busy dashing about trying to compose an epic concept album about rising up and destroying the crap they play on Capital Radio to read through the last three pages :gas:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1339543123' post='1690474']
Anyone that played in a 'punk' band, because sloppy musicianship and creative bankruptcy were supposedly 'credible' in the genre. Not surprised it died as quickly as it rose...
[/quote]

Awww, that came right under my post about being used to playing punk basslines :(

Least favourite? Perhaps somebody like Vic Wooten. No doubt he can run rings round most of us, his music is just not my cup of tea. Great work ethic and philosophy though.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1339549710' post='1690509']
Richard Hammond
[/quote]

Hey man, that clip of him and Al Murray on Top Gear was tasty!

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1339535741' post='1690279']
Sorry OP, but you're an idiot. First time I've slagged anyone off on this forum too.
[/quote]

Nice of you to start now.

I ask a simple Q that I could have worded better, put a list of bassists that inspired me (if you go & read the 10 fave bassists thread & read my post) & a couple of folk go defensive. How does it make me an idiot?

Jeff Ament? I've taken a lot of inspiration from Pearl Jam & Ten is one of my all time favourite albums. I was gonna put Tina Weymouth on the list & she's possibly my favourite bassist.
Like I said, I should have left the list off. It's not a poll.

If I've offended anyone, sorry about that. It wasn't my intention.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1339531237' post='1690134']
+1
And did you not listen to the intro to Lounge Act? Flipping great.
Also, Mike Dirnt, intro to Longview, also ****ing cool as.

And Sid might not have been able to play well, but he could swing the thing at your head better than most of us. :)
[/quote]

+1 on this. Of course Novoselic and Dirnt aren't 'trained' musicians, but they play with heart and soul and aren't afraid to express themselves where appropriate. Springing to mind as some of Novoselic's memorable lines for me are Lounge Act, Lithium, Stay Away, Pennyroyal Tea to name but a few. From Dirnt Longview, Welcome to Paradise and When I Come Around are definitely not your bog standard lines.

I once saw an interview where Novoselic talks about serving the song..says it all really.

Also, surprised to see Jeff Ament on the OP's list. He was really different from the early 90's grunge players. I'm pretty sure there isn't one song on the 'Ten' album that has standard 4 string fretted bass. He tastefully used fretless, 12 string and 8 string basses throughout the album. On Vs, which I think he was fantastic on, he adopts an electric upright for a lot of songs too. Some memorable Ament lines, for me at least, are Jeremy, Breath, Glorfied G, Rats and Present Tense.

Each to their own I suppose, but best or worst bass player lists are always going to divide opinion.

Shoulda called the thread Bass players who don't float your boat. It gives more room for maneuver instead of an outright put down.
For me it's Billy Sheehan. Yes he's very a gifted bloke who can fly about the neck like EVH,
but all that tapping, hammering on/off electric drills etc did nowt for me at all! :)

Dunno why this thread is getting such a slagging, it's just someone trying to spark some conversation, and at 4 pages and rising, surely that's what a forum is about?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339531199' post='1690133'] they play what is needed in the song & very little else.
[/quote]

To me, that's what a bass player should be really, to play and lay down what the song needs to drive it or make it groove and get people moving. I've never had any time for fretw***ery and unnecessary slapping when it can detract from the song, just cos the player 'can'. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

I think it all depends on how, for yourselves, you define [i]worst[/i].

It's a subjective value judgement, and complicated by the fact that we'll all choose different values. The OP called it along the lines of "pretty simple rock basslines", or somesuch - but for me, that's why so many of those players have been successful. Knowing what works best for the song, and then nailing it: simple [i]but effective[/i].

Sure, maybe for some they play what's needed for the song and little else - [i]but what do you suppose the purpose of the bass is, if not to directly serve the song?[/i]

We can think back to a recent thread where a BC'er had had his basslines re-recorded, as an example of where not serving the song fully can leave a player.

And, of course, if you have the [i]too simple[/i] side of the argument, you can also have the [i]too complicated[/i] side - we have some very technical players, well lauded on here, who do not ship records; who will not get on the radio with any regularity; and who will not be appearing in my music collection, simply because fret w***ery - for me - is the dullest expression of a musician's ego :)

I think I'd like Rob from Metallica more if he just raised his bloody strap!
It drove me insane on Saturday! More so when he did high register stuff!

FWIW - I've read way worse threads on BC than this. I just think it was poorly worded . Get off the OP's case. ;)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1339589459' post='1690967']
I think I'd like Rob from Metallica more if he just raised his bloody strap!
It drove me insane on Saturday! More so when he did high register stuff!

FWIW - I've read way worse threads on BC than this. I just think it was poorly worded . Get off the OP's case. ;)
[/quote]

Haha, I'm fully supportive of this - it has [i]backache [/i]written all over it. Also, it has a touch of Rob squatting over some kind of chemical toilet, as he walks around stage like he does.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1339575164' post='1690618']
Dunno why this thread is getting such a slagging, it's just someone trying to spark some conversation, and at 4 pages and rising, surely that's what a forum is about?
[/quote]

Exactly! Some people need to chill the feck out! :)

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1339573680' post='1690604']
For me it's Billy Sheehan. Yes he's very a gifted bloke who can fly about the neck like EVH,
but all that tapping, hammering on/off electric drills etc did nowt for me at all! :)
[/quote]

Yeah. His tone sounds like a buffalo farting under water too.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339571866' post='1690568']
I think this is possibly the worst thread I've ever seen on Basschat...
[/quote]

Why? Because you don't like it? I think it's rather fun...

I enjoy it when precious people get their knickers in a twist! :D

Edited by Conan

Claytonbashing mystifies me.

One of the lines you see frequently trotted out by old punks is that [i]the great thing was that you didn't have to be able to play to be in a band[/i].

Therefore Clayton, I put it to you, is the living embodiment of punk. 30 years later he is still in the band and still not able to play. Punk not dead as long as Clayton lives. Stick your spirit of 77 up your arse, you all sold out where he is still proudly flying the flag.

Not only that, but he gets paid too. Regularly. Not only that, but he gets supermodels. Regularly. Not only that, but his regular gig is not the Badger And Brake Lever playing Boney M covers, but football stadiums [i]and he doesn't even play football!!![/i]

Mock him not, for he is a quite clearly a genius.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1339575164' post='1690618']

To me, that's what a bass player should be really, to play and lay down what the song needs to drive it or make it groove and get people moving. I've never had any time for fretw***ery and unnecessary slapping when it can detract from the song, just cos the player 'can'. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
[/quote]

It's certainly an interesting , provocative and unfortunately worded topic. But it's not a hanging offence and nobody has died.
I agree with the above - I'm a lover or rubbish players & also not so rubbish too - what's wrong with root notes... maybe an ocassional fancy flourish with a 3rd/fifth!! :shok: Just to show off, mind.

Liked the Adam Clayton link - If i was him i'd be well chuffed - I did actually think it was him!