Why become a member? ×

How much power is enough?

Haydenr25

As i've just left school and now need an amp powerful enough for practice. I've been using a 25watt amp with one drummer, one guitarist and one vocal microphone through a moniter wedge. Would a similair 25watt amp be powerful enough to keep up ? Or maybe a 35watt ?

Thanks

My guitarist plays through a Marshall 100watt 2x12'' speaker amp, my drummer plays moderately loud, but at school we had to use Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt and that kept up with our drummer. I don't want my bass being drowned out due to lack of power and being able to keep up with one guitarist, one drummer and a vocal amp, possibly a moniter wedge. Not used for gigs, just band practice :)

I'd suggest that if a 15 watt amp can keep up with the drummer, then he's [i]not[/i] moderately loud.

If 15 watts has been ok so far then you’re at a volume level I know very little about, but if I was faced with a 100 watt Marshall, with the guitarists I know, the least I would aim for is 300 watts and a 212 cab or 2 112 cabs.

Budget is up to £150, but if a bargain is present I can push to £200. Based in West Midlands, England.
Bearing in mind the drums won't be mic'd and this is just for practice, where we are playing gigs the gear is provided along with a PA system.

Edited by Haydenr25

Total volume available is roughly dictated by a combination of the amplifier power, the speaker size/sensitivity and the voicing (how deep it'll go).

I recently sold an older UK-made Ashdown Electric Blue (130 watts into 1x12) for about £90 that would be perfect in this scenario. Look for the older Electric Blue and MAGs as they are cheap as chips and they're well-made and reliable, more recent ones made in China less so. Otherwise an old Peavey or Trace Elliot should do the job, around 100-200 watts into either 1x12", 1x15" or 2x10" speakers.

I am frankly amazed that a 15 watt combo has been enough to play with anything but the quietest drummer using brushes! Probably doesn't produce any actual bass, since bass eats watts like nothing else. But you'll realise what you've been missing as soon as you try something with a bit more power, £100 secondhand spent wisely should be plenty

[quote name='Haydenr25' timestamp='1339351341' post='1687295']
By 15 watts I mean a 15 watt guitar amp was enough to keep up with my drummer, on 6-8. I was using a 25 watt bass amp pretty much cranked to keep up with the drummer/line 6 15 watt amp.
[/quote]

a good 100/150w combo will be fine!

i mean this is now gone but im sure something like this will pop up again soon

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177989-behringer-bxl3000a-combo-for-sale-l50/

people bash there amps but honestly they are a good starting point!

andy

For my own personal use, I agree with chris b, and say 300 watts minimum. Cab-wise, either a 2x12 or 4x10.

But, a 150 watt combo, into either a single 15 inch speaker, or two 10 inch speakers should be loud enough in many bands.

And if you buy on here, when you have enough money to upgrade (because you will, as we all do) you`ll be able to sell it on again for approx what you paid for it, whereas with new gear, instant depreciation.

This question comes up pretty often so I wrote a brief article on the topic [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html[/url] The advice you are getting is pretty sound all round and for your budget you should find something fairly useful I'd also recommend Peavey or Ashdown secondhand. Good Luck

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339356286' post='1687381']
For my own personal use, I agree with chris b, and say 300 watts minimum. Cab-wise, either a 2x12 or 4x10.

But, a 150 watt combo, into either a single 15 inch speaker, or two 10 inch speakers should be loud enough in many bands.

And if you buy on here, when you have enough money to upgrade (because you will, as we all do) you`ll be able to sell it on again for approx what you paid for it, whereas with new gear, instant depreciation.
[/quote]

So for my serious reply +1 to Lozz

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339353305' post='1687330']
a good 100/150w combo will be fine!

i mean this is now gone but im sure something like this will pop up again soon

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177989-behringer-bxl3000a-combo-for-sale-l50/"]http://basschat.co.u...o-for-sale-l50/[/url]

people bash there amps but honestly they are a good starting point!

andy
[/quote]

I have a friend who frequently gigs one of these with no issues, i hate his tone but that's not the amps fault. I think your best bet would be a used Peavey or Ashdown off here, or maybe a Line 6 LD150 if one pops up.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I've gigged with a 30 watt 1x12 & it's been fine (although pushed). However, that was NOT in a pub, but in a town hall & no PA support to @ 100 people.

The Peavey TNT or Ashdown MAG gear would most likely be an excellent starting point.

As for how loud a thing goes, it's down to a lot of factors & wattage only being a tiny factor.

Buy once. Is my advice and so save money long term, (like what we do on here :blush: ) even if you have to borrow to get the right bargain now. Agree with Lozz, on watts and the trace / Peavey used kit suggestions,
Another suggestion is swap amps with your guitarist, the ratio of watts for bass and guitar would be about right then :)
Also go out and get the book "Stuff good bass players should know" by Glenn Letsch (Hal- Loenard) Its all in there and more, I bought it twenty years too late. and still learnt stuff

Edited by deepbass5

I took a 15 watt Laney RB1 to a band rehearsal to compete against a single guitarist going through a 35w Laney and a loud hard hitting drummer with a double kick drum. I had to put it on 9 on volume, 9 on the gain, scoop the bass out and up the mids and highs all the way and I could just about hear it. I've got an Ashdown 220 Touring (1x12 speaker, not putting out the full 220 through that, perhaps 180? Maybe less?) and that competes just fine on 4-5 on volume and same on gain. A bit too loud at times but no one's complained yet!

I agree with the advice that if you buy something that will last a long time now then it's worth going for. £200 second hand should get you something decent. I borrowed a mate's 100w Laney Linebacker combo and it was good enough for practice. Made in England 1987 and still going strong without any servicing, I'd have bought it off him but he'd originally bought it off Reef's bassist years ago so wants to keep it. Anyway, I digress...

Don't make the mistake I made when I first started out i.e. to go for new underpowered cheap gear (carlsbro cobra 90 watt combo anyone). Go for something secondhand with a bit of power. Ashdown EB 150 combos are very loud, sound great, are relatively light to carry and are really cheap secondhand. Laneys are good for the money too. Don't get anything under 150 watts because frankly once your drummer learns to hit those skins of his anything less will not be powerful enough.

Edited by gjones

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1339409518' post='1687918']
This question comes up pretty often so I wrote a brief article on the topic [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html"]http://www.ultimate-...ng_it_loud.html[/url] The advice you are getting is pretty sound all round and for your budget you should find something fairly useful I'd also recommend Peavey or Ashdown secondhand. Good Luck
[/quote]

Nicely informative article for someone like me who knows nothing beyond a practice amp :)

I don't quite get the last paragraph though. I read it that to get 120db with a 98db/w speaker at 1 meter you suggest 200w, but if that goes through a 95db/w speaker then it needs a 400w head, or only 100w with a 102db/w speaker? Told you I knew nothing!

I'm cogitating over a GK MB200 and a BF Compact, but that's way in the future and only if things go right at the moment :)

Edited by Si600

A speaker has an efficiency and this is defined as how much sound, or how loud, a speaker will go given an input of 1 watt at a distance of 1 meter.
A figure of 98db means that with 1 watt input that speaker will have an efficiency of 98db. An increase of 3db is a doubling of output so a 101db speaker will be twice as loud as a 98db speaker. As the 101db efficiency speaker is twice as efficient as the 98db speaker it will only require half the amplifier power to get the same volume hence, [i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]120db with a 98db/w speaker at 1 meter you suggest 200w, but if that goes through a 95db/w speaker then it needs a 400w head, or only 100w with a 102db/w speaker[/b]. [/font][/color][/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There is a lot more to it than that of course, but that is the basic principle.[/font][/color][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I hope that explains it for you[/font][/color][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif].[/font][/color][/i]