Why become a member? ×

What Bass do you swear buy? Any thoughts on Sandberg?

bassickman

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338394519' post='1673893']

Swear [i]by[/i], or swear [i]at?[/i]

As some would say they're fugly.
[/quote]

It's all a question of taste. Some poor folk think Fenders look nice! :yarr:

Bought my first Sandberg last year (and 3 more since!) and haven't looked back. For me, I've never found another bass which is quite so comfortable to play, or just feels "right" in my hands. Most of them aren't particularly fancy, they're really well made workhorse basses IMO, but they just sound and feel great and the materials/construction quality at this pricepoint should really embarrass some of the big name manufacturers. If you're ordering a new one too, there's sooo many different options to choose from, and that's before you start getting into "custom build" territory. If you search, there's several threads on here about them.

I've had a couple of Basics (matt finish with ash bodies), a California PM (also matt/ash) and a Basic Ken Taylor (high gloss/alder). The one that really does it for me is the Ken Taylor; feels great and the tone is a little more rounded and less "modern", seemingly as a result of the Alder body. It's very light for a 5er too, I make it about 7.5 - 8lb on my (crappy) bathroom scales!

In fact I will be ordering a brand new Basic Ken Taylor 5 soon, just need to decide on the finish! BTW, there's a lovely Greenburst Basic 4 for sale on here..... :D

Edited by TRBboy

Zon Legacy.

My favourite bass shape, my favourite pre amp (Polyfusion). Love the way they look, sound & feel. The quality of them is astonishingly good.

Also recently bought a Spector Euro 5LX & that is a brilliant bass too - the best five string I've played (both my Zons are four strings - fretted & fretless).

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1338375703' post='1673419']
For me it's either a Stingray or a Sterling.
[/quote]

+1 Never played a bad Musicman yet - consistent and sound brill.
My 'go to' every time (and I love Fenders too!)

Ibanez Blazer.

Just bought my second, and will hopefully be buying many more in the future! They're an interesting take on the traditional P design, love the 80-'82 headstock design. Incredibly well built and the brass bridges really set them apart from other P-alikes! And all for less than £200 each.

Truckstop

As a noob, I do not know most of the basses mentioned here. However:

Ric - - Chris Squire's sound. I loved it, love it now and will always love it.

Warwick Thumb - - the first bass I heard that sounded absolutely effing fantastic without any effects, on just about any amp with controls flat. Now _that_ was Plug 'n' Play. Better ones may surely exist, but this was the one I heard some 20-25 years ago.

Music Man Bongo - - the sound, the EQ quality and versatility, the ergonomics, the build quality, the fantastic design, the neck feel.

Well I've been through a few basses (5 Warwicks, a couple of Yamaha trbs, a couple of Sandbergs, two wooden Status basses etc) and have ended up with a Fender Jazz CIJ 62' fretless and a bitsa fretted jazz. I've had the most compliments about the sound from playing these two basses, odd really :blink:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1338373406' post='1673372']

Do you want a good bass or a bass that people will think is cool..?
[/quote]

Are the two necessarily mutually exclusive?

Back O/T, Errr Fender Jazz? I have "superior" basses, but the Jazz just feels (better than) "right" to me. I guess the ergonomics suit me well as everything is in exactly the correct place.
That ought to make me a prime candidate for a "Super-Jazz" (Sei, Sadowsky etc.etc) but somehow they're just not the same.