Why become a member? ×

I have a good bass and I have a good amp... Why do I need a pedal?

bassickman

lol, how many times will people ask this. What is "need" in music anyway?

You need a pedal to tune up. Then you need a pedal to reign in any very harsh peaks. A pedal to bring out those glorious high mids and one to boost your booming lows. Another couple of pedals for your funk, fuzz, filter, phaser, flanger...

Of course you need some imagination as well otherwise you'll be standing behing a bunch of great bass tones and thinking "I only wanted one good sound"

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338302365' post='1672376']
lol, how many times will people ask this. What is "need" in music anyway?

You need a pedal to tune up.
[/quote]

I like a tiny bit of octabass on a fretless, haven't felt the need for much else.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Ultimately depends on what I'm playing. For example this evening I shall be rehearsing with a prog rock/metal band, so a little bit of dirt and chorus seems to work quite well. In a couple of weeks I've got a rehearsal with a covers band and will just go clean :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1338303868' post='1672415']
If you want to be trying to break new ground in the drum and bass/dubstep area then you have pretty much no choice...
[/quote]

Surely you would be breaking "new ground in the drum and bass/dubstep area" by NOT using shitloads of effects?

I've got loads of pedals to get my sound & sometimes I wonder...

Do I really need a bass?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338309430' post='1672527']
has there ever been anyone who's posted on the Amps & Cabs forum saying," i have an accoustic bass, why would i want an amp ?"
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177673-getting-an-acoustic-bass/"]You might want to look here...[/url]

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1338303868' post='1672415']
If you want to be trying to break new ground in the drum and bass/dubstep area then you have pretty much no choice...

http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com/album/analogftw-ep
[/quote]

Dude you make me blush!

Yes this has been covered lots - at least 3 identical threads in the last month. That link contains music which is all live bass and live drums. I do NOT use a clean tone once during any of the recordings or live work... Effects are as much am instrument as the bass itself - in fact, in some tracks I force pedals to self oscilate and play them without touching the bass. For me I NEED them - and I too have a good bass and good amp.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338308781' post='1672514']
CHRIST, not again !!! :(

can we please have a sticky topic for this-kind-of-thing Shep ??? Pleeeease...
[/quote]

Good idea. I'll search out all the threads on this topic and compile them and start a sticky...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1338309416' post='1672526']
Surely you would be breaking "new ground in the drum and bass/dubstep area" by NOT using shitloads of effects?
[/quote]

Can't argue with that!

Though many guys are doing it with no pedals now - just a midi pickup and a laptop running ableton, so maybe it still isn't ground breaking... :(