Why become a member? ×

I have a good bass and I have a good amp... Why do I need a pedal?

bassickman

As Si suggested - here is the sticky discussion thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177691-the-old-do-i-really-need-effects-or-whats-the-point-in-effects-argument/"]http://basschat.co.u...fects-argument/[/url]

Please continue discussion there rather than here...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1338308491' post='1672509']
No you don't.
[/quote]

Well you don't NEED one, but if you're going to try and tune by ear in a noisy gig venue you're going to (a) struggle, and (b ) sound like a fool.

Edited by pantherairsoft
Language...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1338308491' post='1672509']
No you don't.
[/quote]

Well, not if you're not gigging. I tune up by ear at home but that's no good if my guitarist is tuned slightly out with me.

EDIT: Sorry, I shall stop posting in here!

Edited by cheddatom

Just to finish off on the "Tuner" subject. I don't have a tuner pedal, not because I don't think they're of use but because I'm happy that my bass will stay in tune for the full gig if I tune it before hand (usually with a phone app) & give it a quick check over before plugging in (usually by ear on the harmonics, or if it's noisy, using the guitarists tuner).

That's not to say I wouldn't get a tuner though.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1338371016' post='1673317']
To proper finish it of I refer you to my earlier clip on tuner point. Best thing I ever bought.
[/quote]

That's what I usually borrow off the guitarist (or sometimes the mandolinist).

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1338302635' post='1672388']
....Depends what you are playing....
[/quote]

+1

I have never used a pedal. If you play what I play you probably won't need one either.

We can't answer this for you.

Everyone should have a tuner. Silent tuning is the only way. It is very unprofessional to tune up so that the audience can hear you.

But then I don't consider a tuner to be a "pedal" in the context of the original question.

No you don't, but they open up a wealth of creative possibilities, so why not? I probably use effects on about 60% of our stuff. I can play all our songs without any effects, but some of them were specifically written with effects, so they wouldn't sound the same (or as good imo) without them.

Bass guitar is an electric instrument, so make use of the opportunities that affords you. As soon change the tone settings on your amp, you've already 'processed' the sound...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338363463' post='1673162']
I don't have a tuner pedal, not because I don't think they're of use but because [b]I'm happy that my bass will stay in tune for the full gig if I tune it before hand [/b](usually with a phone app) & give it a quick check over before plugging in (usually by ear on the harmonics, or if it's noisy, using the guitarists tuner).
[/quote]

This.

When I was gigging I would tune up before playing & I would still be in tune at the end of the gig.
If you have to regularly consult a tuner during a gig you'd probably be better off buying a high quality bass that doesn't go out of tune all the time, or maybe seek some kind of help for the tuning paranoia/OCD you suffer from. :)

You guys never rocked out to the point where you banged your bass on something, had a singer/rhythm guitarist/audience member land on you and knock your vass out of tune then?

Wow....

Edited by 51m0n

yeh my (latest) bass will stay in tune for weeks of gentle practising, but as soon as I start really playing I will inevitably knock a string out. you need to be able to tune on mute at gigs, and that's why you need a tuner pedal!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1338388588' post='1673731']
Or a clip on tuner and a volume control on your bass :)
*broken record*
[/quote]

I've not used a clip on tuner so I don't know about it's multitude of practical shortcomings, but I would imagine it makes your bass look less cool :P

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338392338' post='1673832']
I've not used a clip on tuner so I don't know about it's multitude of practical shortcomings, but I would imagine it makes your bass look less cool :P
[/quote]

I don't think a clip-on is as uncool as a strap-on! :blink:

If you also play a multitude of acoustic instruments at jam nights, where the luxury of plugging into your tuner and arsing around for ages fiddling with leads is going to annoy everyone, and have come to the realisation that having a rack tuner for your bass, a pedal for your guitar rig and one of those old school pluggy in things for everything else is overkill, then finding a clip on one that you can chuck in your pocket/on top of your amp/anywhere you bloody like after your quick tuning check THAT WILL TUNE EVERY INSTRUMENT YOU OWN (and the rest of the bands too) is a total godsend.
Really, i hated having 3 different tuners, and trying to remember which to take on which gig.
:)

and it's red with a cool little speedometer type dial, so of course it's cool :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338394306' post='1673883']
If you're the type of guy to regularly subject himself to jam-nights, you probably do think your clip-on looks cool!

Sorry, just joking Dave, whatever works for you :)
[/quote]

They keep making me go, I'm one of only about 4 musicians that live in this tiny town. :D

And it goes straight back in my pocket, especially after I saw that old guy with the ukulele who kept it attached all night, and kept looking at it... :(
*not even close to cool but convenient*

Re: Those who "do not need to tune their bass during a gig"

Nor do most of us, but at least the facility is there just in case. If someone knocks us out of tune then we can just kick in (or clip on ;)) the tuner and sort it quickly, rather than necessitate a prima dona tantrum and a lengthy break to find a tuning fork.

I thought "it was in tune when I bought it" was a joke!!

If anyone's out of tune on one of my gigs it's not going to be me.

Cold room, hot sweaty set, interval, another hot sweaty set.... that's at least 2 tune ups per gig in my book. I also check the tuning during each set. I don’t care how good your tuners are the strings go flat when they get hot and go sharp when they cool.