Why become a member? ×

Active Basses - which batteries are recommended

Lozz196

The usual 9V Energizer or Duracell (the good models). Be aware that they tend to be slightly thicker than cheaper makes, which implies some trouble getting them into the slot and getting them out. Be careful not to trap or short any wires. Oh, and remember to unplug the bass from the amp and disconnect the lead from both.

Edited for typos - grrr!

Edited by bluejay

I use Duracell, only £2 each from my local hardware shop or B&M bargains and seem to last anything between 6 months and a year (Unless they're in a Behringer BDI-21, then they last about 6 hours...). Been using them in active basses since the end of 2007 without any issues whatsoever.

Liam

Probably revealing my skinflint nature, but I just use the Tesco's 9V batteries - seem a decent life for the price; that said, being one of those suspicious types (well, you could read that both ways, but I'll leave it out there) I do swap them regularly. I don't let them run flat and then move them on.

Energizer LA522 - and change your batteries once in a blue moon... (just make sure the dimensions fit your bass - as stated by other people. Not all 9v batteries are the same size... somewhat oddly...)

Failing that, I use Procells. Bulk buy.

Edited by EBS_freak

duracell procells for me too, i buy them in packs of 10 online, they seem to last the same as the duracells from the supermarkets but are around a pound each against the 3 quid each that they are on the high street. just make sure it's a reliable seller as there are some fakes out there.

Matt

Duracell, because I like rabbits. :mellow:. The American made ones sound better for Rock, but for fat, funky stuff (and if you can find them) an old Russian one should see you right.

The chinese ones sound terrible.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1338213944' post='1670887']
Duracells have the most growl, they are also fat-sounding, clean, smooth, edgy, deep, piano-like and vintagey. Energizers are good batteries but they don't cut through or sit perfectly in the mix like Duracells do.
[/quote]

:lol:

+1 for the Duracell marketing dept.

Any good, branded, in date batteries should be fine to use.

Some manufacturers don't recommend rechargeable batteries because they don't fully recharge.

Always keep at least one spare (i used to keep 2) and use in rotation so they are in date.

If you run active basses, then one of the most useful ways to spend £6.99 is http://www.maplin.co.uk/handy-battery-tester-6058

Why guess? Come to that, why rotate? It takes literally a couple of seconds to test how much charge is left.

Theres a neat little feature on my Audere preamp that runs a test each time you plug a jack lead into the input. A very sexy blue light on the control plate flashes in special sequences to provide an estimate of how strong the battery signal is.

I try and find little batteries - did you realise that there is actually quite a noticeable size difference in the same type of battery?

I have to jam mine into a small cavity (Carry On moment) that is already full of preamp - so i go for the smallest i can find.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1338217477' post='1670954']
Theres a neat little feature on my Audere preamp that runs a test each time you plug a jack lead into the input. A very sexy blue light on the control plate flashes in special sequences to provide an estimate of how strong the battery signal is.
[/quote]

You see, whilst I think that this is a good idea in seeing if your batteries are good, I don't think its good that it mutes the preamp whilst it does this test... (think stepped on leads etc...)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1338217477' post='1670954']
I try and find little batteries - did you realise that there is actually quite a noticeable size difference in the same type of battery?

I have to jam mine into a small cavity (Carry On moment) that is already full of preamp - so i go for the smallest i can find.
[/quote]

Now, has anyone told bass guitar manufacturers? I mean, how difficult can it be for them to allow one more millimetre on each dimension when they create the cavity?