Why become a member? ×

Maple board with black blocks, FUGLY!

Clarky

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1338139017' post='1670018']
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blocks have no place on a precision, or a tele, or a strat or anything apart from a jazz bass, jazz master or jaguar. Apart from gibsons.
[/quote]

I think I'd agree with this, too. It's a Jazz thing.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1338147026' post='1670124']
Easy, Tiger! It was just another opinion in the mix! :)
[/quote]

Sorry mate, I was a bit sharp with you there. Apologies, you know what musicians can be like when their freedom of expression is curtailed :-)

Edited by cloudburst

White blocks for me on either Rosewood or Maple. They great on both but only on fender style basses.

I fell in love with white/maple on a 76 jazz bass I recently sold and that is the option I have on the new Sandberg which I recently purchased.

It is subtle but looks really good IMHO.

As I said, firmly in the no black blocks for me camp, but have to admit there are one or two bass pics on here that aren't offensive at all...
Not to the point that I would be lusting after one, but not the total deal breaker I'd assume, going by the way some of these basses can work.

As always.. you have to see them and decide if the whole package works visually.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1338139017' post='1670018']
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blocks have no place on a precision, or a tele, or a strat or anything apart from a jazz bass, jazz master or jaguar. Apart from gibsons.
[/quote]

I'm with this, as most will know, I'm quite the traditionalist when it comes to basses, blocks should be left for Jazzes, they should be pearl, either on maple, ala Marcus Miller, but then it only works if the bass is blonde or natural, or preferably on Rosewood.......classic.

Black blocks on maple, just doesnt work, on any level for me, never seen a nice one.

It's great that we're all different though, even if some of you are wrong!! :P

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1338206236' post='1670735']
Let's just f*ck off all this blocks and dots and blah blah blah and just get some Pink LED's... :ph34r:

Liam
[/quote]

Maybe in the shape of a giant erection, running up the length of the fretboard?

Think about it. Now that's a [i]statement[/i].

An odd statement, but a statement nonetheless.

Here's an example of when i don't like to see blocks:
[attachment=108906:Model.jpg]

If only something could be done... perhaps trading the necks and possibly repacing the pickguard off the bass to the right by a pearloid one... oh wait... what?!!

Ah hah!

Further to my earlier post, it's not the black blocks alone, it's the colour of the attached body.

Look at "project_c's" bass on Post #58. Beautiful. The neck and body form into one harmonious design.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

Gotta love the internet. A vaguely p*ssed rant after midnight on Saturday and we're up to four sides of debate, reasoned argument and occasional heckling :lol:

FWIW, I think rosewood and blocks on a sunburst Jazz looks wonderful (eg, wot's early 70s Jazz) and white blocks on a maple board too (eg, the lovely white Jazz sold by glenhughes that was previously wombatboter's). But I maintain my argument from my OP that black blocks on maple are unsightly, especially with a paler bodied bass

Im a total opposite. I love the blocks, my fave Jazz has black blocks and Id seriously love to have a rosewood board with pearl blocks.

I find quilted maple and elaborate flaming a complete put off, makes a bass look like cheap furniture.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Voodoosnake

Hmmm, ok I'm starting to see the light. You love rosewood. You love black blocks. You love matching. You'll love this...
So I'm going to take my Mocha '74, remove the maple/pearl-block neck and replace it with rosewood and black blocks to match the body and black scratchplate.
With the pink led cock on the headstock of course.

CB

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1338217812' post='1670960']
Ah hah!

Further to my earlier post, it's not the black blocks alone, it's the colour of the attached body.

Look at "project_c's" bass on Post #58. Beautiful. The neck and body form into one harmonious design.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Black jazz bass, maple neck, black blocks. Looks great every time :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1338111857' post='1669646']
I'm with the OP on this. I don't really like the black blocks. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

In fact - block inlays on anything Fender that isn't a Jazz causes me to question all I believed in during the 70s :-) Aargh.

Since back in the day, I've had a 1974 Jazz in mocha brown with maple neck and pearl blocks. I've always loved it.

CB
[/quote]
Yeah, I love it as well!! If you ever think of parting with it, give me first dibs!

I wouldn't choose black on maple in a custom situation, but incidentally, I recently bought a used Warmoth with maple board, black blocks and binding. It also has a tobacco burst finish, no pickguard and a control plate with face flat black knobs for the preamp

On the other hand, I think pearl blocks and binding on maple looks too cheesy to be classy :o

Edited by mokkat

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1342989366' post='1743595']
Yeah, I love it as well!! If you ever think of parting with it, give me first dibs!
[/quote]

Thanks for that!
Meanwhile - here's one for sale that is identical to mine. Similar condition too.
http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2282

CB