Why become a member? ×

Does a low B ruin your E?

thinman

Probably been asked already but I was reading an interview with Paul Turner (rather excellent Jamiroquai bassist) and he said that he didn't like 5 strings because he thought the tone of the E wasn't as good as on a 4-string. Is that a widely held view?

[quote name='thinman' timestamp='1336677241' post='1649453']
Is that a widely held view?
[/quote]

Never heard that one before, so no.
The only way I can see a low B interfering with an E in any way would be down to poor technique rather than any inherant design flaw. :)

Paul Turner is a great guy and awesome bass player, but I have to say - unless it has been quoted out of context (I mean I'm sure there is more to his point than that?) I'd have to disagree. In terms of say a bass having pickups or electronics that might favour a B string rather than an E (I.e. the centre frequency of the bass boost, for example) then maybe that would be the case. I'd expect any quality 5 string bass to have a good strong response across all the strings in comparison to an equivalent 4 string.

Certainly my pair of Shukers and a new six string I have picked up have a brilliant balance in tone and volume of each of the strings. I'd like to hear more about what he meant.

I have to say, from a construction point of view, I would disagree that an E string on a 5/6 string isnt as good as on a 4 string.

However, personally, I do find that I use the E string differently when playing a 5/6 string than a 4. I feel I can dig in and be more aggressive with a 4 string and tend to be more 'technical'on a 5/6 string due to the setting I tend to use it in (mainly reading gigs). If this is what Mr Turner was getting at, then I would agree.

when playing a 5-string E, there will be some sympathetic resonance of the B string (as with all the other strings) hence some of the energy of the ringing E string lost to the B. it's not anything significantly audible though so just play however many strings you want and be happy.

I know exactly what he means. If you've really played on a truly incredible vintage Fender 4 string you'll know. I can't describe the physics, on a 5 it somehow compresses & evens out the sound. It takes that extra special something away from the money zone on the E and spreads it over the bottom 2 strings. That extra mass in the neck must have something to do with it. I've noticed this with all the best 5's I've owned (MTD 535, Stingray & my current main bass, a Celinder update). It's particularly evident with double basses, I've never played a 5 string with a good E. The 4 string with C extension rules in that area. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to this but it seems to be a general trend.

Will it stop me playing 5's? No.

Edited by chrkelly

Indeed he probably means the E string on both.

Now I wouldn't know, but someone I know says the very same. For decades, this guy has worked as producer and studio technician for Nile Rodgers besides playing guitar, bass and keyboards. He has worked with people like Jimmy and Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Bowie, Diana Ross, The B52's and lotsa others, so at the very least, he's not a noob.
He says you'll never get the same great tones from the E string on a 5 string bass as from the E string on a 4 string bass, and he's very specific and firm about that.
I trust him in this for several reasons.

My guess is that neck and joint stiffness, or lack thereof, as well as sympathetic resonance issues, would be likely causes.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1336695702' post='1649780']
....someone I know says the very same.... He says you'll never get the same great tones from the E string on a 5 string bass as from the E string on a 4 string bass....
[/quote]

There was an article on Will Lee a few years ago and he mentioned the NYC session guys never use 5 string basses in the studio because the producers think that the articulation and focus isn't as good on the 5 string.

The studio environment has developed to a crazy level of detail. Such minute details don't exist in my world so give me a good thumping 5 string and I'm as happy as Larry!

[quote name='chrkelly' timestamp='1336691931' post='1649747']
I know exactly what he means. If you've really played on a truly incredible vintage Fender 4 string you'll know. I can't describe the physics, on a 5 it somehow compresses & evens out the sound. It takes that extra special something away from the money zone on the E and spreads it over the bottom 2 strings. That extra mass in the neck must have something to do with it. I've noticed this with all the best 5's I've owned (MTD 535, Stingray & my current main bass, a Celinder update). It's particularly evident with double basses, I've never played a 5 string with a good E. The 4 string with C extension rules in that area. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to this but it seems to be a general trend.

Will it stop me playing 5's? No.
[/quote]

interesting. Now you say it, and without your experience I kinda know what you are talking about.

IMO, the thing here is that people are comparing the E string from a 4 string passive bass to a 5 string active one (vintage fender 4 stringers vs most 5's wich are active) so i'm thinking it will be a mather of personal taste and tone of the instrument and not interaction of the low B...

Has anyone compared the exact same model of bass with the same electronics on it's 4 and 5 string version and can confirm this rumour?

One of the main reasons I don't play 5 strings is because the E never feels right. I don't know why this is, I may be imagining it, but it's something that's always irritated me.

FWIW, I don't think Mr Turner was being critical of his instruments themselves, more of the actual nature of the 5 string itself.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1336678408' post='1649483']
Now, if he was saying 'I find that some Musicman basses have really loud E and A strings and quiet/flat D and G stings' then I'd be agreeing.
[/quote]
Same would be true of Fenders IMHE

I've had plenty of 5 and 6 strings I'm my time and I can't hear it. I reckon most of the time it's that there's no fat string sitting there below the E on a 4, so you can give it more of a go without risk of the open B string ringing or getting in the way. The passive/active thing is true too - how many truly passive fives are there anyway? I briefly had a passive American Standard P 5 with a maple board and the E sounded exactly the same as a four string to my ears, pick, slap, finger style just like an aggressive P bass should sound.