Why become a member? ×

Bass Strings - How Long Do Yours Last ?

BassMan94

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1336240365' post='1643040']
Rotosound Roundwounds - at least a year, possibly two. But then, I don`t like new strings.
[/quote]

Same here - the strings currently on my Westone are ~18 months old, and I don't expect to change them any time soon.

I'm a fairly aggressive player, using picks and fingers.
I used to use Rotosound wounds and would get about 6 hours of live/band practice use out of them before they were too dull, for my liking.
D'Addarios last around 10-12 hours, but I have a set of DR Neons on my Stingray and they've clocked up about 20 hours and are still sounding good.
It's taken me 20 years you realise cheaper strings are false economy.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1336292204' post='1643496']

Dunlop 1.6mm picks.

Strings will stay on my basses for a couple of months in rehearsal, because I don't generally care too much about the tone. In the studio or live is different though, and 1.5 / 2 hours playing is enough to take the shne out of them.
[/quote]

Are they the purple ones?

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1336300436' post='1643636']
I'm a fairly aggressive player, using picks and fingers.
I used to use Rotosound wounds and would get about 6 hours of live/band practice use out of them before they were too dull, for my liking.
D'Addarios last around 10-12 hours, but I have a set of DR Neons on my Stingray and they've clocked up about 20 hours and are still sounding good.
It's taken me 20 years you realise cheaper strings are false economy.
[/quote]

Not aimed at your post particularly, but surely it depends on the bass to some extent. I have d'addario's (Nickels) on my Fender Urge and like them. I tried them on my Ibanez SR505 and they were zingier than a zingy thing on zing street. I had to play with the treble backed right off to get an acceptable (to me ) sound. I had these for several months and they were still too zingy and I ended up with Status half rounds.

My point being that, on some basses, and according to how much zing you wanted, you could start with new strings and the treble knocked down, and compensate for the ageing of the strings with the tone controls, effectively extending the life of the strings.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1336347248' post='1644431']
My point being that, on some basses, and according to how much zing you wanted, you could start with new strings and the treble knocked down, and compensate for the ageing of the strings with the tone controls, effectively extending the life of the strings.
[/quote]

I do this with the VLE on my Markbass F1! :D

I fitted some LaBella steels to my Blazer just over three months ago and I think they're still going strong! I hate zing anyway and I just keep playing them until one of them breaks (I have a quite aggressive finger and pick style) and then I'll change the lot. Otherwise I'll change them at their yearly service, speaking of which is due in 4 weeks! I'm gonna stick with LaBellas. Black silk looks wick and they sound great.

Truckstop

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1336292204' post='1643496']
Dunlop 1.6mm picks.

Strings will stay on my basses for a couple of months in rehearsal, because I don't generally care too much about the tone. In the studio or live is different though, and 1.5 / 2 hours playing is enough to take the shne out of them.
[/quote]Blimey you must hit them hard. I use the big Dunlop 3mm Stubbies and Elixirs and dig in pretty hard, but they still seem to last a good 6 months.

Just put a set of EB Hybrid Cobalts on the ClassicJ to see what the snakeoil's all about. Its early days - only a couple of gigs / rehearsals and a little bit of gentle recording - I am however liking what I hear at the mo. It remains to be seen (i) how long they last; and (ii) whether I can still get them at a reasonable price when it comes time for a change

• 2 weeks later...

I changed to the Elixer nano web strings last week. I have done two rehearsals and lots of playing at home.

I am really liking these strings. They are a little bit slippery, its ok though.
Brightness is still strong and showing no sign of diminishing. So far so good.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1336296075' post='1643540']
I can do x4 rehearsals and x2 gigs on one set of strings, after that I am boosting eq and getting annoyed. I have been using Bass Centre elites forever!

I used to boil strings and could get one more gig out of them but I can't be bothered anymore. These elixir nano web strings seem very interesting though. I may try them out.

However, I fear change ....... :D
[/quote]

Older the better!? I really don't like the metallic sound of new strings but I hate the feel of flatwound or nylon strings. I think I change strings only if I have to. If I broke one string, I change them all or if one string starts to sound different than others, again I change them all. It could be months but more likely years. I prefer D'Addario XL nickel wound strings, and as I was inspired by ZOG set I now use:

G - .040 - 15,28 kg
D - .055 - 15,74 kg
A - .075 - 17,24 kg
E - .105 - 18,28 kg
B - .145 - 18,82 kg

I like the feel of this set, the biggest string is allso stiffest. Caused some problems at the beginning, but I really don't want to use anything else at the moment. EB and DR Lo-Riders are ok too, I really don't care what the brand is, feel is everything. Elixir strings are not for me.

This is just from my experience trying different kinds of strings. From them being fresh to sounding pretty dull.

Rotosound swing bass - 10 hours. By far the biggest waste of money I've ever done

Fender Nickel round wounds - maybe 2 days

Dr coated - maybe a month and a half

D'darrio (the super bright ones) - so far a month and a half and they still sound decent

Ernie ball slinkies (pink packet) - maybe a week

I have a feeling that I must sweat some sort of metal eroding liquid

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1338043886' post='1668965']
Rotosound swing bass - 10 hours.
[/quote]

Oooh noooooo! Another one [s]aiming[/s] playing an Archer bass through a MarksMan amp! :)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1338063620' post='1669258']
Oooh noooooo! Another one [s]aiming[/s] playing an Archer bass through a MarksMan amp! :)

best,
bert
[/quote]

In all fairness, I'm pretty terrible at bass. I just really felt they strings in particular died almost instantly of putting them on, they felt really harsh on the fingertips as well...just me?

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1338066248' post='1669304']
In all fairness, I'm pretty terrible at bass.
[/quote]

Just in case: Being a total noob myself, I wasn't trying to tell you anything about your playing, but just got this image in my head of someone ruining his strings by using the axe as a bow. Then I just couldn't resist.

best,
bert

Hi Guys
Let me say that I have an interest in Elixir Strings as I work as the Consultant for bass for them ....however with that aside I'm a bass player and have been since the age of 12 ..

Last year I spent a year at the icmp in Kilburn and I was playing alongside other bass players and students for probably 6hrs most days excluding a Sunday and in that time I changed my Nickel plated nanowebs 3 times in 12 months !!! They were the ones that "feathered" at the playing position over the pickups
Since I started working with Elixir in January I have tried both the new improved Nickel on my Stingray 5 and the new Stainless steel strings on my Jazz bass and I haven't changed them at yet !! The Stainless steel are kind to my hands and are brighter,, played with a pick they sound awesome !!
The Nickel plated strings on my Stingray are not as slippery as before and have a "smoother" tone. and they haven't feathered at all.

Its quite strange , while I have tried many other brands , for me personally I can't go back to conventional stuff, however all I can say is try them for yourself and make your own mind up ....i'm in too deep !!!

I think of a quote I read from Bernie Edwards, asked by a bass journalist, at the height of Chic's fame, what kind of strings he used. He thought for a second, then answered 'whatever comes on a Stingray'.

The BCers whose strings last a week - what are you doing, playing underwater? I use a 1.4mm guitar pick and for strings, whatever's cheap (EBs at the last change). I only really change something when it breaks. I think the last time I bought a full set of bass strings was... 2006. I am not after zing, though, more clonk. The bass is on full volume, full tone. I get what I need from my amp more than anywhere else.

[i]EDIT: I just asked my bass playing colleague here at work when he last changed his strings, and the answer came back '1981'. Classy move.[/i]

Edited by achknalligewelt

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies/Regular Slinky 5's. Usually last me 1-3 months, though the Regular Slinkies on my 5 have lasted since christmas because i'm barely playing it due to having my P, which has gone through 7 set of strings since january (They were cheap and naff things that my uncle threw in with the bass, but they sounded okay for a few weeks) but hopefully the Hybrid Slinkies will last a bit longer than that (2 months at a guess, being summer) when they arrive this week. Going to set up my P again too, so it should be sounding and feeling lovely by next Mondays gig.

Liam

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1338211282' post='1670839']

The BCers whose strings last a week - what are you doing, playing underwater? I use a 1.4mm guitar pick and for strings, whatever's cheap (EBs at the last change). [/i]
[/quote]

I think a lot of it comes down to preference. I prefer the sound of newer strings, feel the freshness gives it a nicer sounding tone (especially for slap), it really brings out the 'growl' in my bass. So once strings go a bit dull, for me I'd always want to get a new set (money doesn't allow this of course). Also, as far as I'm aware using a pick will keep them fresher sounding for longer but I've never used one so I can't really comment on that.