Why become a member? ×

Auditions: Who chooses the songs?

solo4652

I've been asked to learn up to 10 songs for auditions before now and then turned up and been asked what songs they asked me to learn.

Or the guitarist didn't know the tunes himself that I'd been asked to learn "because we haven't played together for 2 months" so, said I, "You had 2 months to learn them then"

You can put a lot of time and effort in to turn up to and audition to find that maybe you're the only one who has a clue.

That happened to me on the last audition I did, plus only half the band turned up! The management guy was very embarrassed.

They failed that audition.

I knew the numbers (which actually were quite good) better than the guy who wrote them! The positive for me was a boost to my confidence, knowing that I could go into such a shambles and show a professional band up for the amateurs they were.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1335786803' post='1635922']
You have to take each experience on its own merit - its not exclusive.
[/quote]

Every musician is an individual. Every band is composed of musicians.

I don't understand why anyone would assume that all audition experiences would even be similar - never mind identical!!

From personal experience though, I would say that it was common practice for the band to choose the songs. It depends on the circumstances though. If they are looking for someone to slot in very quickly and there is only a very short time to prepare for the audition it would of course make sense to choose songs that the auditionee already knows.

If I was auditioning a bass player I would choose probably three or four tunes that represented a range of bass styles. For example a simple groove-based track to assess timekeeping, a fast riff to check out dexterity and accuracy and maybe a slower and/or more melodic track to see whether the bassist has much in the way of taste.

YMMV of course :)

The beauty of this is that 2 months after the all important audition , the same old same old comes out , in that the band don't really care what I play as I am only the bass player :P
Auditions, I believe, have different levels of competency and expectancy dependant on the instrument/vocal and the relevance that has in the band. and generally bass just seems to be a supporting act in the scheme of things.
I have jammed 3 auditions and got the gig, and I am NOT a great player , I just try and fit in , how long you wish to stay 'fitting in' or even if you want to at all , really depends on circumstance and personalities , but I reckon first thing is to suss out want[b] they want, [/b]then work out if you want to do it , and that is only partly down to bass technique.
I reckon bass chops often alienate other band members as that is not want they want , but hit a root in time with the kick drum and away we go, I am pretty sure that a lot of non bass players would not have a clue about techniques even as simple as pick vs finger , nevermind slap ,pop or chords or heaven forbid .............tone (except boom or excess volume :rolleyes: )
I didn't join my current band , but formed it by 'audition' and to be honest the word 'audition' didn't even hit my radar, I just went along for the craic , and the craic was good for all of us , hence we are a band , simple , but then I wasn't in [b]need [/b]of joining a band, but was missing it .

Update: I went to the audition last night. From the band's setlist, I had 11 songs prepared, 4 of which I'd learned from scratch.

It turned out that it was only the second time that the band in its current line up had played together. The setlist I'd been sent related to the previous band's line-up, was way out of date and was going to be completely changed anyway. We ran through 6 of the songs and it was all pretty rough and ready, unsurprisingly. The band definitely has the potential to be a decent pub/club band. I'm not convinced about corporate functions and weddings, but who knows. I left because they were due to see another bassist, with 4 more being seen in 3 days time.

I don't think the band had painted a true picture of the current situation. Actually, I wouldn't have been put off by knowing that they'd only just got together. I needn't have prepared so many songs.

Don't mind if I get asked to join. Don't mind if I don't.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1336723757' post='1649897']
Update: I went to the audition last night. From the band's setlist, I had 11 songs prepared, 4 of which I'd learned from scratch.

It turned out that it was only the second time that the band in its current line up had played together. The setlist I'd been sent related to the previous band's line-up, was way out of date and was going to be completely changed anyway. We ran through 6 of the songs and it was all pretty rough and ready, unsurprisingly. The band definitely has the potential to be a decent pub/club band. I'm not convinced about corporate functions and weddings, but who knows. I left because they were due to see another bassist, with 4 more being seen in 3 days time.

I don't think the band had painted a true picture of the current situation. Actually, I wouldn't have been put off by knowing that they'd only just got together. I needn't have prepared so many songs.

Steve
[/quote]

Hey - thats cool. Thing is we can create all kinds of scenarios in our heads about what people really mean. You just have to get out there and do your best. And have a bit of fun.

Good luck.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1335628263' post='1633972']It'd be like me going to an interview prepared to discuss vmware and discovering they were judging technical ability by tie colour... :blink: [/quote]

I've met that manager. He used to work for CEGB, and according to him you could tell a good programmer because he'd have his top button done up.

Steve
[/quote]

Why am I not surprised.

I half expected something like this, I've had similaar stuff myself.

It turned out that it was only the second time that the band in its current line up had played together. The setlist I'd been sent related to the previous band's line-up, was way out of date and was going to be completely changed anyway ... I don't think the band had painted a true picture of the current situation [/quote]

It turned out that it was only the second time that the band in its current line up had played together.

[/quote]

So the gig on Friday was the first? Did you go to watch?

You should definitely join if offered, just for comedy value. Tthis thread could become epic....

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1336859368' post='1652138']
So the gig on Friday was the first? Did you go to watch?

You should definitely join if offered, just for comedy value. Tthis thread could become epic....
[/quote]

The Friday gig was cancelled because the guitarist couldn't make it.

You have possibly made my day. This band has real potential to provide material for an epic thread. You HAVE to join if asked.

I can't wait to hear about the demo. I don't want to actually hear the demo, the story of its recording wil do.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1336929402' post='1652876']
You have possibly made my day. This band has real potential to provide material for an epic thread. You HAVE to join if asked.

I can't wait to hear about the demo. I don't want to actually hear the demo, the story of its recording wil do.
[/quote]

The demo? Errr, not sure I know anything about that....

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1336929511' post='1652878']
The demo? Errr, not sure I know anything about that....
[/quote]

Awww com on. They must have told you that they are looking for manager or waiting for the right line up before they have the photo's taken for the posters, providing the guitarist isn't too busy. :lol:

To be honest, a band I was once in cancelled a gig because the drummers dog was about to give birth. :lol:

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1336931164' post='1652901']

To be honest, a band I was once in cancelled a gig because the drummers dog was about to give birth. :lol:
[/quote]

Probably a wise decision if it was going to halve your audience.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1336934904' post='1652980']
Can someone summarise this thread for me, please? I got to the first page, had the OP down as lazy, but by the looks of it things have got interesting.

I haven't got time to read the whole thing, though. :-(
[/quote]

Ya daft sod! :D

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1336925488' post='1652810']
The Friday gig was cancelled because the guitarist couldn't make it.
[/quote]

:lol: Haaahhh! Skank was right. They're [i]wazzers![/i]

[i]^^ chimpy [/i]wazzers.

Edit. 'Chimpy Wazzers' is quite a good band name, actually.

Edited by discreet