Why become a member? ×

Auditions: Who chooses the songs?

solo4652

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335713166' post='1634863']
What I'm drawing for this entire thread, is that there's a lot more [i]crap[/i] - for want of a better term - associated with joining a covers band, than there has ever been, from my experience, in joining an originals band.
[/quote]
Actually Gus, in my experience quite the opposite - less egos involved in covers bands generally!

What I'm drawing for this entire thread, is that there's a lot more [i]crap[/i] - for want of a better term - associated with joining a covers band, than there has ever been, from my experience, in joining an originals band.
[/quote]
Last audition I had with an originals band was no different to auditioning for a covers band (except that I didn't know the songs). I was sent chord sheets and demos of several songs and was asked to learn them for the audition.

It was no more or less crap than any other audtition.

Apparently, different people have different styles.

My audition experience (both ways) has been more of a two stage process:
"Before learning any new songs, how about if you drop in and play a little for us. We'll have a chat and will try to play together. If we like each other, you could learn some of our songs, and we can see your learning ability that way."

When we needed a new person in a job one day, we were impressed with one of the candidates' ability to set some boundaries for what he was willing to do. He was invited, confirmed our impression of him, and got the job.

bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1335720818' post='1635001']
Apparently, different people have different styles.

My audition experience (both ways) has been more of a two stage process:
"Before learning any new songs, how about if you drop in and play a little for us. We'll have a chat and will try to play together. If we like each other, you could learn some of our songs, and we can see your learning ability that way."

When we needed a new person in a job one day, we were impressed with one of the candidates' ability to set some boundaries for what he was willing to do. He was invited, confirmed our impression of him, and got the job.

bert
[/quote]

That sounds like the approach I'm aiming for.

[/quote]

I don't get that at all. You have to take each experience on its own merit - its not exclusive.

That said there is probably more at stake with the covers band as they will likely be doing paid gigs <_<

Everybody who has played in a cover band has sat in a rehearsal room waiting for some one to learn their parts, which is why it is important to show you can and are willing to learn songs.
Auditions are not about getting the best musicians its about getting the right ones, its about finding a team player, some one who is hard working and not going to moan if they have to do something they don’t like. By not learning the songs it means that you may no be the right person for the band or that is how I would see it.

The band I joined recently wanted me to play every song in their set during my audition despite only giving me 3 days notice. Luckily, I knew how to play a few of the songs they emailed me anyway, but I did not have anywhere enough time to learn the others. At the audition I played the songs I knew as well as I could and busked the others. They appreciated that they put the pressure on me and were quite understanding. They told me that if I could play the songs I didn't know as well as the ones that I did know once I have learnt them then they were happy for me to join. I have since learnt their entire back catalogue and things are going well.

There has to be a little give and take when auditioning for a covers band both if you are checking out a new member for your band or if you are an auditionee (if thats a word!). You will not know how to play every song in their back catalogue or expect a prospectful new member to do the same. You should be able to give the right impression about your skills with the songs you have practiced at home with or already know. The other songs can wait, but you have to show that you can learn quickly and demonstrate your adaptability.

You can only try your best and even if you think that you did a good audition and everything is ticking all the boxes for you the decision to invite you back is not down to you. I auditioned for a blues band 2yrs ago and even though I thought I did a belting job at the audition they called me the following day to say thanks, but no thanks. Even by their own admission they said I was the best they had come by so far I didn't get the gig because I was too young! They really wanted a guy in their own age group (40-50yrs). They didn't ask me how old I was when I called them about the audition and it was a huge waste of my time. I ended the conversation a bit confused and giggled to myself. These guys were obviously very particular and I don't think that I would have enjoyed playing with them if they were carrying that attitude. I would expect it from a platinum selling boy band, but a blues covers band fronted by landscape gardener??

I would learn all of the songs on the list, not just 4 or 2 of them to be honest. It all adds to the repertoire, plus you'll show them that you're more keen than anyone else...

If they turn out to be a bunch of a-holes you can always disappoint them when they offer you the gig, but that way its your choice not theirs in the end...

Its often easy to misunderstand the tone of an email, or even a forum post! So give them the benefit of the doubt, learn the songs and good luck with the audition!

Also, its a big thing to show a bit of initiative. I once had a gig, depping for someone. I had been told there was a bass amp at the venue. When i walked in the place with just my bass and leads the first thing the bandleader said to me was "where is your amp?" to which i replied, "I was told there was one here, but it's in the car if you need me to get it" - he said "nah its ok, you're good" apparently other deps had been through the same 'test' in the past and told to go home and get their amp. They were never booked again. I was.

edited for poor spelling!

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335791866' post='1636048']
....I once had a gig, depping for someone. I had been told there was a bass amp at the venue. When i walked in the place with just my bass and leads the first thing the bandleader said to me was "where is your amp?" to which i replied, "I was told there was one here, but it's in the car if you need me to get it" - he said "nah its ok, you're good" apparently other deps had been through the same 'test' in the past and told to go home and get their amp....
[/quote]

I don't see the point of this. Why tell someone there's an amp when there isn't? A pretty stupid "test" if you ask me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335794195' post='1636088']
I don't see the point of this. Why tell someone there's an amp when there isn't? A pretty stupid "test" if you ask me.
[/quote]
[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335794414' post='1636092']
This . It isn't a test it's being a bunch of w***ers with the new boy. Bit like sending the apprentice for a bucket of air for the compressor.

If I was told there was an Amp then sent home to get mine and found out there was one all along. I don't think they would have a bassist for that gig ;)
[/quote]

I think that kind of behaviour is bang out of order. You can't screw people you don't know around like that. :mellow:

have done a couple of function band auditions just lately with unsuccessful result and always the bands end up with a least a dozen hopefuls to try and squeeze in

on each occasion ive told them that im ok with 95% of their set list anyway and they just send over a list of about 5 songs

one thing that has struck me recently is that with the way things are financially, more players are looking to function band gigs as supplemental income rather than the pub-band ethos of doing it for the craic and a wee bit of pocket money

so to go completely against what mr skanks has said above, to draw an analogy, if i were applying for a part time job i wouldnt be asking the potential employer if i could choose my own interview questions :o

i dont think having the songs specified by the band is unreasonable or precious in any way - unless they prove otherwise by their behaviour when you meet them!

edit .... and dont forget... you are auditioning them as well!

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335794195' post='1636088']
[/quote]
I thought he was a w**ker too, and I wasn't trying to hijack the thread with an old story, but the point is I was prepared so I got the work. I suspect many didn't return to be honest. I would never trust someone else's gear so I brought my own.

So the point I was making is if you turn up to an audition fully prepared to do more than has been asked, you're setting yourself apart from people who can't be bothered, that's all. If you know seven songs in addition to the six on the list you've got nearly half the set nailed already.

The other side of the coin (and I've been there too) is that they say "here's our set list, pick three or four, your choice" then when you get to the rehearsal "oooh... those. Hmmm... we should have taken them off the list, we haven't played them in years".

Moral of the story - it's always best to come to a friendly agreement about what you are going to do before hand. If you can do more stuff then all the better.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1335714291' post='1634888']
Actually Gus, in my experience quite the opposite - less egos involved in covers bands generally!
[/quote]

Anyway, f*** off about cover bands you - that looks like a wedding picture! Congratulations! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335803360' post='1636274']
....Hey, guess what? I went the full nine yards - and got the gig....
[/quote]

Good job done. That was my point about 3 pages ago. You've got to[i] make[/i] them want you.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1335790911' post='1636019']
I auditioned for a blues band 2yrs ago and even though I thought I did a belting job at the audition they called me the following day to say thanks, but no thanks. Even by their own admission they said I was the best they had come by so far I didn't get the gig because I was too young! They really wanted a guy in their own age group (40-50yrs). [/quote]

Well, that's just silly. Speaking as an Old Bob of the bluesy variety, I'd regard an auditionee's youthfulness as a serious plus point in this particular genre.

Goes to my point that there are some 'bands' out there who take their little hobby far too seriously.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1335812131' post='1636473']
Goes to my point that there are some 'bands' out there who take their little hobby far too seriously.
[/quote]

That's where I was going when I upset the cover band gang. As noted by a poster above, there's more at stake when you're getting paid £200.