Why become a member? ×

Auditions: Who chooses the songs?

solo4652

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335791866' post='1636048']
Also, its a big thing to show a bit of initiative. I once had a gig, depping for someone. I had been told there was a bass amp at the venue. When i walked in the place with just my bass and leads the first thing the bandleader said to me was "where is your amp?" to which i replied, "I was told there was one here, but it's in the car if you need me to get it" - he said "nah its ok, you're good" apparently other deps had been through the same 'test' in the past and told to go home and get their amp. They were never booked again. I was.
[/quote]
I auditioned for an originals band. I walked in with my bass and bag of bits, put them down and said, 'I'll just go and get my combo from the car'. They said 'Why don't you just go through the PA?' I didn't accept the PA offer and quickly got my combo. While there were other reasons I didn't get the gig, I felt sure that wanting to use my own gear rather than their PA was held against me.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335825078' post='1636755']
I auditioned for an originals band. I walked in with my bass and bag of bits, put them down and said, 'I'll just go and get my combo from the car'. They said 'Why don't you just go through the PA?' I didn't accept the PA offer and quickly got my combo. While there were other reasons I didn't get the gig, I felt sure that wanting to use my own gear rather than their PA was held against me.
[/quote]
Maybe but did you really want to be in a band with people who think that sort of thing is OK? worse still, hold it against you for not wanting to blow their PA?

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1335825924' post='1636765']
I've browsed through the thread but in reply to the original question, the people that are holding the auditions in this instance choose the songs. The auditioning listens and does what they're told.
[/quote]
Quite right.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335878315' post='1637385']
Maybe but did you really want to be in a band with people who think that sort of thing is OK? worse still, hold it against you for not wanting to blow their PA?
[/quote]

It's usually the other way round, isn't it? 'You're not putting that through [i]my [/i]PA...'

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335816521' post='1636583']
That's where I was going when I upset the cover band gang. As noted by a poster above, there's more at stake when you're getting paid £200.
[/quote]

I shall ignore the derogatory snipe at my earlier post :rolleyes:

When charging good money for a band its important that you are working with people who you can count on. Organisation and reliability are as important as musical ability. An audition is the opportunity for the new guy to show that they are up to the job. I would say the same for a band who are charging £200. So, when you get someone who appears not to want to make the effort then you move on to the next applicant.

I've done very few auditions. My most memorable was when I turned up to do a reading gig and was the only player of 3 who could read. Played 2 tunes from sight (quite badly IMO) and got the gig.

My kids have done professional auditions where they are asked to prepare a piece of their own choice and are given a piece to play when they arrive.

I've been asked to just come along to a jam and select tunes from a chord chart to play.

I think some semi-pro bands have ideas far above their station about what they actually do and some of them are very misguided about how good they are and what they sound like.

Auditions take many forms.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335878315' post='1637385']
[/quote]
No, you're quite right and I didn't want the gig anyway as it turned out. However I would have preferred to be offered it so I could have turned it down.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1335625872' post='1633913']
I would have to tack against the prevailing wind here.

If everybody who's going to be in the room knows 7 of the songs, why waste the auditionee's time asking them to learn new ones? It's a first audition, ffs, 7 songs is more than enough to see if he can play.

And if they're getting into mind-games about assessing someone's commitment or 'we do the choosing', then they're being a bit previous, IMO. It's only a poxy covers band, fer chrissake. He's not applying for Head Of Surgery at Barts

Suggesting they go with the 7 'common' songs seems quite reasonable to me. So I'd say new band = illogical, sniffy and controlling. Probably a bunch of nervous, amateur, wound-too-tight timewasters.

Tell 'em to poke it or you'll be back here in a month telling us horror stories from the rehearsal room.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]

I agree with this. Many times I've put time and effort into learning new songs, only to turn up at the audition and find that the band are crap. Seven songs that you all know is a good starting point to see if you like each other's playing.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335917524' post='1638179']
I think it's quite helpful when a band confidently says "check out our website"!

You can sift out the no hopers in no time.
[/quote]

I asked if they have a website or if they are on Facebook or Myspace. No. They did, however, send me a compilation of video clips. They have a gig this Friday - I'm going to watch them. The keys player is covering the bass parts, apparently. Audition is next Thursday. I've learned 3 new songs as well as dust off 7 that I'd played before. We'll see...

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1335880538' post='1637445']
I shall ignore the derogatory snipe at my earlier post :rolleyes:

When charging good money for a band its important that you are working with people who you can count on. Organisation and reliability are as important as musical ability. An audition is the opportunity for the new guy to show that they are up to the job. I would say the same for a band who are charging £200. So, when you get someone who appears not to want to make the effort then you move on to the next applicant.
[/quote]

Haha, it wasn't that derogatory, chief - no more so than the seeming consensus in some circles that, when playing someone else's music and charging for it, that you must be somehow more professional or serious :lol:

I would think that, as you note, the common rule of thumb should be to be find someone who is willing to make the effort, and is able to boot - and applies to all circumstances, where you have even the vaguest of ambitions. I just think we've had some examples, in this thread, of people overengineering the process.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335952433' post='1638423']
No website..? No Facebook..? No MySpace..?
[/quote]

Surprisingly you don't actually NEED all that stuff. A website gives you a platform to show people, who you don't know, what you do. But if most of your work is repeat business and referrals it's all a bit pointless.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335953788' post='1638446']

I just think we've had some examples, in this thread, of people overengineering the process.
[/quote]

Indeed. Some people have far too much time on their hands and spend it doing their hobby. Time they wouldn't spend if they were doing it proffesionally and paying for the time.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1335945783' post='1638290']

They have a gig this Friday - I'm going to watch them. The keys player is covering the bass parts, apparently. Audition is next Thursday.
[/quote]

I would have offered to dep for them on a no strings attached view. Pop round the keys house and run through all the tunes. Any you're not confident you play roots from the charts and she fills. It's a win-win.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1335957104' post='1638507']
I would have offered to dep for them on a no strings attached view. Pop round the keys house and run through all the tunes. Any you're not confident you play roots from the charts and she fills. It's a win-win.
[/quote]

Great idea. Would certainly show you're keen! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335957637' post='1638522']
....Great idea. Would certainly show you're keen!....
[/quote]

Doesn't show them that you're any good though!

I wouldn't let anyone I didn't know anywhere near one of my gigs.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335953788' post='1638446']
Haha, it wasn't that derogatory, chief - no more so than the seeming consensus in some circles that, when playing someone else's music and charging for it, that you must be somehow more professional or serious :lol:

I would think that, as you note, the common rule of thumb should be to be find someone who is willing to make the effort, and is able to boot - and applies to all circumstances, where you have even the vaguest of ambitions. I just think we've had some examples, in this thread, of people overengineering the process.
[/quote]

Yeah, its pretty useful to establish the kind of commitment that the band want and be honest about what you are able to give. I don't think its genre specific - original or covers is irrelevant. It shouldn't detract from the fun side of things.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1335895608' post='1637726']
I think some semi-pro bands have ideas far above their station about what they actually do and some of them are very misguided about how good they are and what they sound like.
[/quote]

having done a few function band auditions just lately id say this +1

some have been fine and i would have accepted if they had offered but some were just a bunch of egos riding the 'function band reputation' and even if i had been offered would have politely declined