Why become a member? ×

Auditions: Who chooses the songs?

solo4652

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337014090' post='1654025']
'Chimpy Wazzers' is quite a good band name, actually.
[/quote]

By strange coincidence, Derek 'Chimpy' Wazzers was the organist in Tony Goggle's second pro band - Lance Rapier and The New Musketeers (1960-62).

[b][size=3]Wazzers with 1962 Vox Symphona (coconut slide-bar model) and Rect-A-Lite stand. [/size][/b]

'skankdelvar'

[b][size=3]Wazzers with 1962 Vox Symphona (coconut slide-bar model) and Rect-A-Lite stand. [/size][/b]

MB1. B)
Keyboard with built in bar?
I daren't ask what a Rect-a-lite stand might illuminate? :lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337084625' post='1655082']
By strange coincidence, Derek 'Chimpy' Wazzers was the organist in Tony Goggle's second pro band - Lance Rapier and The New Musketeers (1960-62).
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1337086401' post='1655119']
I daren't ask what a Rect-a-lite stand might illuminate? :lol:
[/quote]

I suspect it's fundamental.

Just received this email:

[color="#000000"]. I'm sorry to have to say that although we all enjoyed the audition with you, we've chosen a bass player who was already quite familiar with a large part of our setlist and because we have gigs imminent we felt this was the sensible way forward. It was a close run thing, [/color]

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1337170697' post='1656500']
MB1. B)
"We've chosen a bass player who is already quite familiar with a large part of our set list?"
...You were but they didnt want you to play it? :lol:
Very strange! Sounds like youve had a close escape!.
[/quote]

Yes - just what I thought. Who knows what the real reason was. Whatever. Onwards.

See. You should always lie. Or at least only tell part truths. If you say yes you can play everything on their setlist just omit the bit about having to learn it first.

I suspect the other guy said nothing and just turned up to the audition having learned everything on their setlist.

I depped for an originals band who only wanted me to learn 12 tunes. I practiced them for hours in the first week until I could play them. I didn't tell them how much I had practiced.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1337117817' post='1655907']
[color=#000000]. I'm sorry to have to say that although we all enjoyed the audition with you, we've chosen a bass player who was already quite familiar with a large part of our setlist and because we have gigs imminent we felt this was the sensible way forward. It was a close run thing, [/color]
[/quote]

Bastards. You're better off out of that one!

replied to an ad about a month ago for a function band who responded straight away saying they would see how much response they got and set up auditions accordingly - so several weeks go by and get an email to confirm auditions and do i still want to attend - replied yes - then their reply comes back all of three days before the audition with the caveat check our facebook page for the songs we will be concentrating on at the audition

the facebook page contains 22 videos - looking at their set list there is not actually a great deal that i am unfamiliar with and could happily just go in cold for 90% ...edit - i would add that in their favour it would be reasonable to assume that anyone who was serious about auditioning for a busy function band really should have a good working knowledge of at least two thirds of the set anyway to be able to hit the ground running so to speak

working under pressure is not the issue here but is this not ridiculously unrealistic expectations? - am i the only one thinking this is a bit much? - if Brian May himself were to offer me the Queen bass gig im sure i could make sure I learn the entire set in a day if necessary - but a local function band?? really?? :huh:

Edited by steve-bbb

It depends on what you mean by learn.

Most bands I've ever played with have had chord charts to rehearse with even if they've insisted you play gigs without them.

So a full knowledge of the tunes with charts to follow isn't exactly learning them but is 'knowing' them.