Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray

The Walloper

On the market for a new bass and ended up in the music shop at the weekend.

Pulled a few basses down and to my surprise, I was disappointed in a few. I already own a Ric 4003 and I had my heart set on a precision, having already owned one years ago. But by the end of the day, the P bass ended up at the bottom of the list. One that stood out a mile though was the musicman stingray.

I tried both a mexican and USA precision, then a mexican and USA jazz. Then a lakland 5 string (which was another surprisingly good bass).

I just thought the musicman had the superior tone over any of the fenders. Playability wise it was comfortable. I thought the only downfall was that it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as the fenders. But I can get over that. It basically ticked all the required boxes. I remember playing one years ago and was put off by the fact it was real top heavy, and didn't sit well with me on a strap. This seems to have been fixed.

Don't know what it is about these basses. They just don't seem that popular, which is strange. I'm seriously considering buying one.

Anyone have any opinions on the stingray v fender P & J? Why are they not as popular as they should be?

Edited by The Walloper

Because they don't say "Fender" on the headstock.

I've played a few Musicman basses in the past few years and found them all to be be brilliant, especially the SUB 5 that HW Audio in Bolton had in as 2nd hand stock, that was probably the best bass below £500 i've played. They seem to have amazingly good build quality (aside from the odd couple of incidents here and there) compared to a lot of other manufacturers, and are well priced, especially used.

What's not to love?

Liam

No basses seem particularly popular considering the number of Precisions and Jazzes one sees out there. That's just the numbers talking. I'd say that Stingrays would be the third highest answer when enough people have been asked to name 3 types of bass guitar.

Nice basses, and generally better fit and finish than most Fenders. Their pre-amps are better than the Fender ones, too.
That said, there are some equally nice instruments out there on the s/h market that are potential Stingray-eaters;

Ibanez ATK
Status Groove
Warwick FNA (corvette)
Warwick Streamer Jazzman
Warwick Fortress Masterman
Modulus Graphite Flea sig (and others!)

Plus the in-house competition from

Sterling
Sterling by Musicman
(s/h) SUBs
Even some hot-rodded OLPs
Not to mention the Bongo!

There's nearly as many (good) 'Ray emulators as there are super jazzes and jazz clones.

I traded my Stingray (2EQ Rosewood) for a P ('78 Maple) ten years ago and have no regrets.
The MM was superior in terms of build quality and had superb playability, but the tone was just not right for me.
As soon as I played the P I knew I preferred it to the 'Ray. The P is heavier and there are gaps in the neck pocket, but it just felt and sounded right for me.

I'd say that MMs are as popular as a bass can be. If it's not a P or a J.

Edited by Roland Rock

I've owned one for almost 11 years now, I love it. Great sound, great neck and great playability. I know what you mean about the looks, I wasn't that keen on them at first but when it came to looking at one seriously I fell head over for it.

If I'm not mistaken they were pretty popular at one point, it seemed everyone had one (70's/80's), certainly every time I watched TOTP2 a lot of the players were using one. But then it's the old age discussion, why are people using other companies J's and P's? And now 'Ray copies? Because there is more market choice and people make similar spec'd basses. But will it sound like a 'Ray? Well, thats up to your ears.

I am a big fan of StingRays and will continue to use it for many years to come.

Dan

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1334573538' post='1617714']
Nice basses, and generally better fit and finish than most Fenders. Their pre-amps are better than the Fender ones, too.
That said, there are some equally nice instruments out there on the s/h market that are potential Stingray-eaters;

Ibanez ATK
Status Groove
Warwick FNA (corvette)
Warwick Streamer Jazzman
Modulus Graphite Flea sig (and others!)

Sterling
Sterling by Musicman
(s/h) SUBs

There's nearly as many (good) 'Ray emulators as there are super jazzes and jazz clones.
[/quote]

Sandberg Basics too! :D

I haven't owned a Stingray for several years now, but it's my fav tone. I think I will always prefer a chunky, bolt-on bass with a single MM pickup. The MM tone is very much a part of ID. My Lakland 55-02 can get very close to a Stingray tone and the bass that Jon Shuker is currently building for me will have a single MM pickup loaded in the same position. So, why don't I just buy a good ol Stingray? I'm not that fussed on the necks. I never could get a setup that I liked on both of the Stingrays I have owned for some reason.

Mine (natural/black/maple 3eq) is a keeper for life. Used to have a second one (2005 Ltd Ed) that I miss like crazy too. Not the mist versatile bass I own but it just sounds massive. Mine is set up with action you can drive a bus under so I can really dig in and it just growls!

Don't understand why they're not more popular.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1334576364' post='1617793']
Doesn't get any better IMHO, especially for the money they go for S/H.
[/quote]

Yep! I have a Basic fretless (from Giblett123) and I love it. You can still get that MM style sound from it, but of course it's not a StingRay!

And yes, they do have very favourable used prices.

Dan

Out of the 20 or so basses I have dotted about the place, my 'ray is my only stock factory built model. I think that about says it all really.

Btw folks there's no such thing as a 'ray eater. Nothing can do the 'ray sound like a 'ray can.... the only think close to claiming the title is the 2eq over the 3. :D

*edited out the feckin predictive text once I got home*

Edited by Ou7shined

I sold a Ray a couple of weeks ago but regretted it almost immediately - to the point where I bought another one at the weekend. They are as versatile as a Transit van. I've also got an Ibanez ATK400 which, for the price, is not a bad bass but you would never call it a Ray-eater..

I think Lozz posted a link somewhere else for a s/h MIM Fender Deluxe P in Coda Music, Stevenage for £499 - this is active so could be the compromise you are after.

Owning a couple of P's and a Jazz and having just added a Stingray to the arsenal, I'd say they are all slightly different animals, (can't go wrong with either) but as to which ones best, that will depend mostly on my mood and the sound I'm after.

I love my stingray - especially from a playability point of view. And it sounds amazing in band or on its own. But I really struggle to get the right sound for recording. P bases seem to eq themselves - but I'm all over the shop with the ray. Perhaps that's just me. :rolleyes:

I never used to like Stingrays as I'd played a couple in a shop that both had sprouting frets and were setup horribly.

However, every time I'd heard someone else play one I'd always lust after THAT sound.

I'm always going to be a Precision-lover at heart but the 1999 Stingray I recently picked up from Higgie has made me a convert; the neck feels absolutely lovely, it's easy to play, the action is low as hell without buzzing and while it's different to my Ps and Rickenbacker it certainly holds its own in the mix in its own way.

As it stands, here's my preference for basses:

A really nice Precision.
A decent Precision.
A Stingray.
A Rickenbacker.
A Jazz.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1334573538' post='1617714']

Ibanez ATK
Status Groove
Warwick FNA (corvette)
Warwick Streamer Jazzman
[b]Modulus Graphite Flea sig[/b] (and others!)

Sterling
Sterling by Musicman
(s/h) SUBs

[/quote]

I love my ray as much but I hate to say that Modulus [b]probably[/b] have already eaten the stingray for breakfast.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1334575019' post='1617760']
I traded my Stingray (2EQ Rosewood) for a P ('78 Maple) ten years ago and have no regrets.
The MM was superior in terms of build quality and had superb playability, but the tone was just not right for me.
As soon as I played the P I knew I preferred it to the 'Ray. The P is heavier and there are gaps in the neck pocket, but it just felt and sounded right for me.

I'd say that MMs are as popular as a bass can be. If it's not a P or a J.
[/quote]

i like it

I always thought Stingrays are well known and appreciated. At least a third of any live bands and videoclips feature them in plain sight, no?

I myself have had one for 25 years and I never intended to get me another main bass until a year ago when I got me a Rick 4003. I've always had other cheapish backup basses like Danelectros, Ibanez and Squires but my Stingray in translucent green with a transparent pickguard was always the one. Playability, versatility, staying in tune and with a V-Twin pedal to an Ampeg SVT II it's a killer for rock but she's suitable for anything.

Then I played a Precision of a friend of mine and was very surprised how much I liked it. But it only has that one sound. It's a great machine but I'd never trade it for my Stingray. Only the Rick 4003 comes close because she's a seriously different machine and therefore covers that one sonic field the Stingray doesn't. Add to that the same perfect extremely low action and thin neck and overall quality so these 2 are my main instruments now.

Edited by Knork

My main playing bass is a Ric 4003SPC. I recently acquired a MM Stingray 2EQ (through this here forum in fact) and I love it.

Ive never been a fan of Fenders, just never got on with them. They felt unwieldy on me so I wasnt sure what to expect from the MM. Happily I can say that my MM is great and i am glad I bought one.

Originally it was just to be a back up but it will probably be used a lot more now that ive decided to semi-retire my Ric to the house because i like the MM so much (the Ric is rare and I dont like heaving it all about for rehearsals/gigs so much).