Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray

The Walloper

I find the pickup screws a brilliant anchor point! Fwiw new style ones have a new ramp style instead, I have that on both of my 5's but still prefer the original style one on my 4 string as an anchor. No dead spots on any of mine including the 2002 in my profile pic I have since sold although my 2010 would need a bit of a fret dress if you like a super low action.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Was speaking to the bass player in my drummers' fathers band (if you know what I mean) about stingrays.

He's got a 2eq sub, which he said he'd give me a loan of for a week to try it out.

Excellent I say. I'll give it a blast and see how it goes. Don't exactly know the difference between the sub and the ray. Need to do a bit of reading.

Many thanks for all the advice above.

[quote name='The Walloper' timestamp='1334968842' post='1624314']
Was speaking to the bass player in my drummers' fathers band (if you know what I mean) about stingrays.

He's got a 2eq sub, which he said he'd give me a loan of for a week to try it out.

Excellent I say. I'll give it a blast and see how it goes. Don't exactly know the difference between the sub and the ray. Need to do a bit of reading.

Many thanks for all the advice above.
[/quote]

In real terms, there isn't a lot of difference between a SUB and a Ray, they are both made in the USA, and from the same parts. The SUB doesn't have embossed hardware, and I believe the body is different (Basswood IIRC, I may be full of poo) and the obvious series wiring, which personally for me, is better for playing with a pick as when played with fingers it's sounds a little muddy (through some amps, a nice clean flat response amp will sound better)

The best Ray's are form the 90's, you get best of the old, the new and the classic series, for usually a lot lower price.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1334992214' post='1624385']I believe the body is different (Basswood IIRC, I may be full of poo) and the obvious series wiring, which personally for me, is better for playing with a pick as when played with fingers it's sounds a little muddy (through some amps, a nice clean flat response amp will sound better)
[/quote]

Body is poplar - basswood is on the Sterling by Musicman SB 14 (based on the Sterling bass) and the Bongo.

I'm not doubting what you guys have seen in your basses, but I'm not sure about these series/ parallel pick ups - are the originals in the basses or maybe swapped out by previous owner? Sterlings/SR5s have pick ups in series (coupled with selector switch to allow series/parallel switching and single coil selection - not sure what the Sterling sub had or the Sterling Classic has as they are both 2 band pre amp AFAIK).

It doesn't quite totally sense that the Sub would have a differently (hotter) wired pick up than a regular Stingray - and then sold at a much cheaper price. Perhaps a question for MM Customer Services. .

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1335022528' post='1624879']
Body is poplar - basswood is on the Sterling by Musicman SB 14 (based on the Sterling bass) and the Bongo.

I'm not doubting what you guys have seen in your basses, but I'm not sure about these series/ parallel pick ups - are the originals in the basses or maybe swapped out by previous owner? Sterlings/SR5s have pick ups in series (coupled with selector switch to allow series/parallel switching and single coil selection - not sure what the Sterling sub had or the Sterling Classic has as they are both 2 band pre amp AFAIK).

It doesn't quite totally sense that the Sub would have a differently (hotter) wired pick up than a regular Stingray - and then sold at a much cheaper price. Perhaps a question for MM Customer Services. .
[/quote]

I posted some pictures on a thread a while ago, and Ou7shined has seen various pickups too.
The SUB (4 strings) appears to be wired in series, as far as we can tell with the small sample observed, where 100% of them being series, original.
My SUB5 also has the original pickup... but this one is wired in parallel, and I posted pictures illustrating it.

It does not make much sense, but then... look at the EBMM company... :lol: the SR5 having a ceramic pickup for quite some time rather than alnico, making it closer to a Sterling than a Stingray (series switch available on SR5s), and naming a new "economic" series the same as one of their standard models, confusing everybody in the process etc... It looks like they do what they do without regards to logic :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1335024590' post='1624926']
I posted some pictures on a thread a while ago, and Ou7shined has seen various pickups too.
The SUB (4 strings) appears to be wired in series, as far as we can tell with the small sample observed, where 100% of them being series, original.
My SUB5 also has the original pickup... but this one is wired in parallel, and I posted pictures illustrating it
[/quote]

Just to close this out, I got an email from Musicman Customer Services and they confirm the MM spec for pick ups in SR4 basses, original series Sub SR4 and Sub SR5 is/was wiring in parallel. Not sure how the Subs you mentioned got series wiring - perhaps a mistake or perhaps got Sterling pick ups as there was a Sub Sterling (but much rarer)?

The standard SR5H does have series/parallel wiring (and notably in series setting does not produce the 'signature' Stingray sound - you have to select parallel for that - the series sound is fatter with more mids and cuts through a mix even better!).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1335317094' post='1629284']
Just to close this out, I got an email from Musicman Customer Services and they confirm the MM spec for pick ups in SR4 basses, original series Sub SR4 and Sub SR5 is/was wiring in parallel. Not sure how the Subs you mentioned got series wiring - perhaps a mistake or perhaps got Sterling pick ups as there was a Sub Sterling (but much rarer)?

The standard SR5H does have series/parallel wiring (and notably in series setting does not produce the 'signature' Stingray sound - you have to select parallel for that - the series sound is fatter with more mids and cuts through a mix even better!).
[/quote]

Customer services can say what they want. Chances are that person was not working there back when SUBs were in production. I don't know.
I understand your scepticism. I would be too. But no, these are original unmodified pickups, they are alnico and they are wired in series. Like I said, it's not just the odd one, it seems the general rule.
The Sterling ones would be ceramic, wouldn't they? So it doesn't look like it's the Sterling pickup either.

It does not make sense to me either that they would make a run of alnico series just for the SUBs, when they were attempting to make a cost-effective bass, and it'd make more sense to use whatever they were already using for other basses. I can't think of a 4-string MM of the time that used an alnico series pickup...
That does not change the reality 'though. :)

Like I said, it's not like I have experience of many SUBs, and I don't know how many Ou7shined has seen/checked, but I am sure there are others out there, so the possibility that alnico-series was used only for a given period (whether made like that by mistake or on purpose) exists. The only one I know the manufacture date for sure is the one I currently own, which is a late 2003, October-November I believe.
Or maybe they are all alnico-series. I do not know. But the fact that they were made is undisputable. Well, you can dispute it, but you'd be wrong :P

I agree that the series sound is quite distinct from parallel, and less Stingrayish. But it's a good one! I meant to rewire my SUB to parallel but it's staying as it is. I already have the Stingray for parallel when I want that sound. Although adding a switch for parallel/series tempts me

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1335343368' post='1629418']
adding a switch for parallel/series tempts me
[/quote]

Yes agreed - that would be a good mod - the SR5H in series absolutely kills in a recorded mix - mind you the other two settings are pretty damn good also (parallel and single coil). I think the original Sabre also had a series parallel switch.

I'm really not doubting you guys, just stating what the manufacturer says - I'm not sure about the spec of the Sub Sterling (I think I've only ever seen one of them) but it may possibly have been two band (they do a Sterling Classic now which is a two band also). Bear in mind also there was a Stingray Sub in shock/horror :huh: passive. You should email Gav at musicman.org - I think he'd be interested in your find.