Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

drinking at rehearsals

thunderbird13

Bit of a rant really
I play just for fun – I’m neither good enough or lucky enough to have been in a band which makes any money , no problem it’s my hobby. As a result of this the bands ( which I have lasted in ) tend to muck about a bit at rehearsal sitting around chatting and drinking. I ‘m a bit of a lightweight with alcohol and I know that it ruins my timing but in the past I’ve thought what the hell everyone else is drinking why shouldn’t I . The result tends to lead me being sacked as my playing goes downhill. The band I’m currently in rehearses for 3 2hours then goes to the pub for 2 hours which I think is a pretty good way of doing it. Now however they are saying why spend money in a pub when they can just buy some cans and drink at rehearsal. I hear alarm bells ringing already and I don’t really know what to do I like them as people and playing with them is fun BUT I know that when people start drinking their playing generally doesn’t get better and ultimately I’ll just be standing in a disused office with 4 other semi drunk men pretending to play (god that sounds depressing !!) :(
I suppose I’ll have this band as a “social “ event and look for another band that takes things more seriously ( although with my other commitments I don’t really want to so this yet )
Has anyone else come across this problem in rehearsal ? ( on the odd occasion I play a gig I stick to 1 pint of shandy, or 2 if I’m on really late and have to hang around)

My band rehearse in the attic studio of the guitarist's house. We turn up at 7:30 and have a chat in the kitchen with some kind of a drink - tea for the drummer and singer, beer or wine for the guitarist and myself, nothing at all for the rhythm guitarist. He is deliquescent apparently.

The singer and guitarist then pop outside for a herbal cigarette.

Another cuppa or glass in hand, we head upstairs for the purposes of making music. All very convivial and laid-back. The consumption of substances never reaches the point where performance is compromised, and we have a good night with mates.

Compromise. That's what it's all about. We are all adults and nobody feels pressured into partaking or not doing so. It's all down to the individuals concerned, of course...

Just drink a can of shandy?

Some people can play a bit after a few beers. So I'd give it a go, whilst not drinking too much yourself. If you think the other players playing deteriorates... tell them so and persuade them it's a good idea to rehearse in a more sober fashion.

You've already said you're a lightweight - this is a good thing. It indicates to me that you know exactly where your limits are. I personally don't have a problem with drinking at rehearsals, provided all the parties involved a) know their limits and B) concentrate on actually rehearsing.

So, I'd say that you should voice your concerns and see how they respond. It goes without saying also, never exceed your own personal limits, and don't let yourself be pressured into drinking more than you can handle.

My band don't rehearse but I am in the same boat at gigs. They all like a drink, I mean really like a drink, and being an alcoholic I don't touch the stuff. Sadly they play better when sober but enjoy themselves less. Of course like many other people they are fooled into thinking they play better after a few drinks but being stone cold sober I can tell that actually they don't they just feel better about how they play. A subtle but important distinction.

Some of us have a couple of beers during rehearsal - I certainly do, it's a good way of bringing my playing ability down to everyone else's level - but as we get paid good money for gigging, it's strictly ONE drink only before the gig.

Depends largely on what level you're playing at and whether you see rehearsals a a social occasion or not, really.

At £10 per hour, you need to achieve something at rehearsals. Our problem is actually getting one, so they really do not need to be wasted.
I don't care if someone has had a bad day and needs a beer, but none of us can drink anyway so it isn't going to go mad and people drive to and fro
so a bottle is about enough as we can manage.
Mostly, I'll make tea..so insist on the rooms having a cantine of sorts and that is all we need.

The bottom line for me is..I'm not their mother, so as long as they can perform what is required, I'm ok with it.

But then, again, I have never seen any evidence that we need to review the situation..it appplies to gigs as well as we often get a very decent rider from a brewery gig and we never
trash the bar... doubt we would be capable of drinking it, tbh

We have a festival date this year and we intend to camp for the whole weekend and I was talking to one of the other bands and they said they were glad of an early slot as it is the only chance of keeping their drummer sober at a beer festival. !!!!!!

My band will have a few beers at a practice these days, no more than 3 over a four hour period, usually only two. It's pleasant and chills us out after a long day/week of work etc and helps everyone change into a more 'downtime' mood which makes it a bit more relaxed. I think if it harmed anyone's playing, I'd start to have a problem with it however.

My previous band, we would only go out to get the beers etc once we'd finished practicing (used to be a Friday night practice), and admittedly then get hammered, but at least the music was kept separate!

I dont suppose there's much I can do about it - they are all adults ( in fact 2 are retiring this year ! ) so I'll just have to see how it pans out. Still I prefer that to the last band situation I was in where I would get to the rehearsal in an industrial estate, go in and make polite conversation with everyone for 5 mins ,play through the same 8 songs and then make polite conversation for 5 mins and go home and NEVER gig ! Still wonder why I did that for 6 months :blink:

I have no issue with it as long as the performance is OK. Band members who want too will normally muck about at rehearsal if they've had a drink or not.
I only have an issue with it at gigs if it affects the performance. With my current band the band like a drink, except me cause i have to drive after, and there is no drop in performance from the rest of them, which is fine.

If the rehearsal is for up and coming show's then they need to get their finger out and nail the tunes, if not then just chill out a bit.

What most of you gigging muso's don't seem to realise is, that at a gig you are supplying a service, and no way should you be under any influences, booze etc!
You are getting paid to perform! So even at rehearsals, to make your next gig work you should use this time as a real gig and keep it real!
Any sort of 'extra help' should be avoided! Any singers, don't touch alcohol, ruins the vocal cords (as does ice in your drink)!
Do it properly, and then you'll see the results!

None of us mind a drink or two at gigs or occasionally rehearsals, but we all know our limits and can drink quite a lot, so it never really affects us too much. We tend to be very laid back anyway, so it just adds to the stage show if we're a little bit tipsy (but still playing well, of course) and we always seem to come out with funnier on stage banter when we've had a drink too, and that really is part of our show.

Liam

No alcahol at our rehearsals. We do bring juice or coffee and some snacks. At 6 hr rehearsal you need something to break up the focus a little.

I don't / won't drink before or during a gig simply because i know i make more mistakes and loose my focus a fair bit. I have realised that for me its simply not worth it. This is my main hobby and i enjoy it more nowadays maybe because I'm not drinking at rehearsals or gigs the way i did when i was 20 ish.
Aprt from that i drive 40miles to get to a rehearsal so don't wanna waste the time there.
Our guitarist is tea total too.

In previous bands it was agreed to only have a max of 2 beers before / during gig and have a substantial few beers after the event provided you are not driving of course.

Liked "Discreet's" reply where a beer brings him down to everyone else's level - nice one :lol:

Dave

I'm lucky that this has never been an issue. Rehearsals are in an office after hours so its not really an environment that encourages boozing. I think because some of the guys are pro in the band the rehearsals are treated quite professionally and things get done. Some of the chaps are up for a Jamaican Woodbine on occassion but this doesn't have a detrimental effect at all.

The way I look at it is that rehearsals are for rehearsing and the pub/club afterwards is
for drinking.
Of course,I'm sure for many people the social aspect of being in a band is one of the most
important things (maybe the most important?),but for me rehearsals are for working on new
material and drinking doesn't help.Likewise at gigs-I'm assuming that most of the people
here don't need a drink before going to work/school/whatever....same thing.

This sounds like the way I rehearse. As its a hobby it should be fun, but in order for it to be fun, its got to be constructive. Ive aways had beers at rehearsals, and always pre agreed with the band what level of rehearsal we should be having. This ranged from no beers cause were gigging at the weekend, to lets get demolished and hit the pub afterwards. we were, and still are productive and that was always the intent.

I think its important youre all on the same wavelength and set out what you want out of the project and make sure rehearsals then meet youre objectives. If not, look elsewhere.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333631258' post='1604549']
...for me rehearsals are for working on new material and drinking doesn't help...
[/quote]

Would agree with this as far as everyone else in the band goes, but by the time I get to rehearsal I know what I'm supposed to be doing inside out and backwards. So a beer or two helps avoid frustration with those who are perhaps not so well-prepared!

However, most of the other band members have more than one career and can't (or won't) spend as much time on preparation as I do, which is fair enough.

I used to be in a band where we knew we wouldn`t be able to not drink at gigs, so we had someone drive us to rehearsals, made sure we got drunk at the rehearsals, taped it, listened back, and then brushed up on the sloppy bits. Not exactly the best way to go about things, but it worked.

Nowadays, some 25 years after that, both bands I`m in, everyone drives to rehearsals (and gigs) so max 1 pint/can (except me, as I no longer indulge).

I used to be of the opinion that I played better after 2 pints, but, having been teetotal for 4 & 1/2 years, and having heard other people play, who had/have the same opinions, I think it is largely rubbish. As soon as anyone in my bands have had 2 pints/cans, their playing is affected. It`s so easy to spot.

Thing is, everyone thinks they play ok when the`ve had a few, so why not record the practices, make sure you do the same songs twice, and then all have a listen back. I`m sure everyone will notice that 2nd time round, after the beer, the set is sloppier.

When I was younger I would drink at rehearsal from time to time, but nowadays it's totally out of the question. I'm there to rehearse, if I want to have a drink then on the odd occasion I'll go to the pub afterwards. Your situation may well be different but I find that the more you combine drinking with other band activities, it will quickly become a slippery slope. I also think it's extremely unprofessional, but again I'm only speaking from my angle where we have to actually get things done.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1333633954' post='1604580']
...record the practices, make sure you do the same songs twice, and then all have a listen back. I`m sure everyone will notice that 2nd time round, after the beer, the set is sloppier...
[/quote]

I would agree with this, but I think ONE beer before a gig is OK. There's no excuse for sloppy playing, but don't forget your 'customers' are likely to be hammered, so it's as well to be [i]slightly[/i] in that mindset, no? :lol:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1333633954' post='1604580']
Thing is, everyone thinks they play ok when the`ve had a few, so why not record the practices, make sure you do the same songs twice, and then all have a listen back. I`m sure everyone will notice that 2nd time round, after the beer, the set is sloppier.
[/quote]

The thing is... some people can play ok when they've had a few. I've made recordings after more than a few, after a few and after none. No-one would say, "Okay, that's there one when you'd finished off that 12 pack." There's a whole load of factors that go into a players playing at a point of time, a couple of beers or not is just one of many...

I always say this when this topic comes up, but quite frankly, if I want to have a drink when I'm rehearsing or gigging, I will. I wouldn't take any crap off anyone telling I should do otherwise either (not that I ever have I hasten to add). There's loads of stuff I'd do differently if I was someone else, like making sure you get there on time, are well practised, have eaten, have not gone out on the piss the night before, or stayed up all night cos the baby's crying and yer missus is tired, worked an 18 hour shift the day before, not had a shower this week etc. Having a beer or three is small fry compared to lots of other things that people do that seem far more tolerated yet are at odds with increasing likelihood of delivering the best possible performance. Likewise, I don't go round telling other people how to do stuff either. If what they produce is of a required standard I couldn't give two hoots if they're high on crack think they're King of Mars. I'm not going to think to myself, "well they're good, but imagine how good they'd be sober"... Sometimes that's about as nonsensical as thinking, "well, they're good, imagine what they'd be like if they'd had an early tea and an afternoon nap.".

Get everyone on 7 hours decent sleep, a healthy diet, a stress-free life with plenty of motivation and practice. Good, working gear. Sober? Unattainable? Irrelevant?

Edited by bigjohn