Why become a member? ×

drinking at rehearsals

thunderbird13

Personally I don't have more than one cos it impacts on how well I play, and I'm ususally driving anyway.

That said, there's a guy in our band who drinks a bit - and gets a bit sloppy sometimes. But I know he'll always get it right when it matters. Another guy likes a smoke, and can't remember two riffs in a row. And the other one doesn't drink or smoke at all - but throws his weight around and wants his own way over everything (guitarist obviously). On balance, the drinker is the better band mate. :lol: Amazing anything gets done really.

At our rehearsal space we enjoy a kebab and a can of coke.............

We had to look at ourselves one time though as we all looked like we weren't bothered and it was extremely frustrating. So now we have a kebab afterwards.

We take it as serious as possible, and it's still fun we don't need any substances to make it fun, we arn't frigid.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1333635328' post='1604608']
I always say this when this topic comes up, but quite frankly, if I want to have a drink when I'm rehearsing or gigging, I will. I wouldn't take any crap off anyone telling I should do otherwise either (not that I ever have I hasten to add).
[/quote]
I suppose it depends on your situation....if you're in a hired situation and the MD asks you to not have a
drink on the gig/rehearsal,then you do it-it's part of being professional.
If you're playing in a band with your mates for a laugh then do what you want,but there are situations
when it just wouldn't be appropriate.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333643330' post='1604739']
I suppose it depends on your situation....if you're in a hired situation and the MD asks you to not have a
drink on the gig/rehearsal,then you do it-it's part of being professional.
If you're playing in a band with your mates for a laugh then do what you want,but there are situations
when it just wouldn't be appropriate.
[/quote]

Aye, I've played gigs where alcohol intake has been contractually no-no'd. Which is fine and up to them, they're paying the wages.

I've never had that in a pub or club though. In fact I've never come across a landlord that isn't more than happy to take some of my fee back over the bar :)

with me it's depended on the band, some bands have imbibed substances at practices, some haven't.

i don't drink anymore and playing sober has made me realise how sloppy i used to be after drinking.

ymmv naturellement.

Edited by ahpook

I won't touch a drop if I'm driving (my job goes out the window if I lose my licence, and I don't reckon it's worth it). I have to drive to both rehearsals and gigs, so it's stone cold sober for me at both. If it doesn't affect your performance, and you're not driving, I don't see why you shouldn't have a drink or two, within reason.

I often cadge lifts to rehearsals cos SWMBO doesn't back in time with the car. She then comes and picks me up cos she's nice like that.

A few beers in such situations is a taste of ambrosia. Woe betide anyone willing to try denying me! ;) :gas:

Guitars, amps and beers. The stuff dreams are made of.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1333646762' post='1604817']
I've never had that in a pub or club though. In fact I've never come across a landlord that isn't more than happy to take some of my fee back over the bar :)
[/quote]

Generally all of it is their preferred option :lol:

I've found that with rehearsals it's not beers that's the problem. It's focus, or the lack of it that makes the difference. With the band I played in last year we almost always had a few drinks during rehearsal, but if we had no gigs booked then more often than not there was a lot of chat and not much practice, if we had a gig at the weekend we practiced like nobody's business. There's no harm in a social rehearsal now and again, but you want to feel you're getting somewhere.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1333651159' post='1604923']
Yeah, the worst thing to do is rehearse all sober like, then get pissed at the gig. That's the path to forgetting your lines.
[/quote]

Quite. Better stay hammered 24 hours a day, just in case.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1333621807' post='1604317']
Bit of a rant really
I play just for fun – I’m neither good enough or lucky enough to have been in a band which makes any money , no problem it’s my hobby. As a result of this the bands ( which I have lasted in ) tend to muck about a bit at rehearsal sitting around chatting and drinking. I ‘m a bit of a lightweight with alcohol and I know that it ruins my timing but in the past I’ve thought what the hell everyone else is drinking why shouldn’t I . The result tends to lead me being sacked as my playing goes downhill. The band I’m currently in rehearses for 3 2hours then goes to the pub for 2 hours which I think is a pretty good way of doing it. Now however they are saying why spend money in a pub when they can just buy some cans and drink at rehearsal. I hear alarm bells ringing already and I don’t really know what to do I like them as people and playing with them is fun BUT I know that when people start drinking their playing generally doesn’t get better and ultimately I’ll just be standing in a disused office with 4 other semi drunk men pretending to play (god that sounds depressing !!) :(
I suppose I’ll have this band as a “social “ event and look for another band that takes things more seriously ( although with my other commitments I don’t really want to so this yet )
Has anyone else come across this problem in rehearsal ? ( on the odd occasion I play a gig I stick to 1 pint of shandy, or 2 if I’m on really late and have to hang around)
[/quote]

I really think this is something you should be talking about at the next rehearsal. Otherwise it could get to the stage where you're not enjoying the sessions and you're posting a "how do I leave the band on good terms" thread.
Personally I've no problems drinking at practice. If a band member hasn't put on the work or is half assed during the session I'll call him out.
Its a tough situation. For the covers band practice is for getting used to playing the songs together. Too much beer can be counter productive.
With the originals band a few beers can open up the creative processes and lighten the mood.
Id suggest that you explain to the band that you have no problems with them having a few beers during practice as long as it doesn't stagnated the group or get in the way of the band progressing.

Edit: forget to add that a drinking culture at practice can easily lead to a drinking culture at gigs which is not a good thing at all.

Edited by Mog

I drive to rehearsals and gigs so drinking is simply not an option, especially as my job involves driving so my licence is my pay cheque.

I've only met one person who drank at rehearsals recently and that was the drummer in a former covers band. He was useless when sober and after a couple of bottles of beer it certainly didn't improve matters.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333660103' post='1605120']
Quite. Better stay hammered 24 hours a day, just in case.
[/quote]

Saves having a hangover!

So where do you think we would be without the many great musicians who like, or liked, a drink? There are plenty of examples.