Why become a member? ×

Led zeppelin and black sabbath just dont do anything for me !

gub

Everyone is different, why feel like the odd one out because you don't like 2 bands that others in the band do? Unless of course, you are in a Led Sabbath or Black Zeppelin cover band! :D

(Our drummer is a Bonham fanatic...(not being a drummer, I don't understand why)! Bacause of that, he is so easy to wind up!! Even more so, since he openly states his hatred of Phil Collins...once, his work colleagues signed him up to PC's fan club...to say he was not happy, was an understatemenT :D :D :D )

Thanks for the reminder, about time I listened to some LZ :)

Memorable time in the 90's. The radio alarm went off on a summer's morning and the very first thing I was aware of that day were the opening bars of Ramble On. Just laid there, starting the day with a smile :)
One of the best starts to the day I can remember

Wow..! Hold on, there; you shook me with that comment..!
How many more times is this LA drone going to be trampled underfoot..?
I know, it's a heartbreaker, but my dancing days are over, somethin' else is wearing and tearing; nobody's fault but mine, I suppose. In the evening, when the levee breaks, the rain song remains the same, it's a battle for evermore going to California, over the hills and far away to bring it on home.
I shouldn't ramble on; that's the way I'll make you sick again, so, babe, I'm gonna leave you.
Thank you.

Edited by Dad3353

There's no shame in not liking either LZ or BS. I've never really understood the attraction of the bands either. I'm a big fan of keeping things concise and to the point. IMO both have a tendency to ruin a perfectly good song by unnecessary muso noodling in the middle. My covers band have looked at doing something by Led Zep, and came to the conclusion that the only one worth bothering with without a lot of editing and re-arranging would be "Rock And Roll". Another band who's songs also really ought to be in our set - Deep Purple - suffer from a similar affliction.

Like many bands, Zep and Sabbath brought out some timeless classics as well as some forgetable tosh, it's just the way it is.

My all time faves from that era were MK3 Purple with Coverdale and Hughes. You see I am just about at an age where all three were at it hammer and tongue just as I was getting into Rock. The influence all three bands have had on modern rock music is awesome.

I was bored to death of both of them when I was 15.
Interminable hippy posturing combined with improbable footwear just didn`t spin my wheel and I still find it all a bit tedious.
Sabbath I regard as a bit of a joke really. Prince of darkness?? Dear oh dear.
LZ are an excellent band technically, but still quite dull when you really listen to them.
Tell your band to update their reference library and get with it.
And those huge white adidas and drainpipe bleach jeans can go too.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1332096260' post='1583201']
I agree with Jack White. Don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.
[/quote]

I'm with you (and Jack White) on this one.

I've never been into Black Sabbath and must confess to have never been keen on any of that kind of music, I just don't gel with it. Zeppelin however were utterly superb.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1332103406' post='1583407']
There's no shame in not liking either LZ or BS. I've never really understood the attraction of the bands either. I'm a big fan of keeping things concise and to the point. IMO both have a tendency to ruin a perfectly good song by unnecessary muso noodling in the middle. My covers band have looked at doing something by Led Zep, and came to the conclusion that the only one worth bothering with without a lot of editing and re-arranging would be "Rock And Roll". Another band who's songs also really ought to be in our set - Deep Purple - suffer from a similar affliction.
[/quote]

Sums it up pretty nicely for me, Never understood the hero worshipping of LZ in particular. Some great moments, but sadly they were normally punctuated by 15 minutes of indeterminate noodling on either side. Not for me at all.

I love Black Sabbath up until around Never Say Die. I like a lot of Led Zeppelin but I am uncomfortable with some of their blatant lifting of riffs and songs without giving due credit. Also I find some of the Zeppelin stuff to be a bit overblown past IV.

I generally don't like listening to the Beatles, Queen, The Who or much of the Rolling Stones. Doesn't mean I don't recognise their influence/talent/genius etc. Just not to my taste. Luckily opinions on music are allowed. If somebody thinks Sabbath are terrible it doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Love Zeppelin, a mates dad got us into them and Ive been hooked ever since.

I like the odd Sabbath track but beyond that they don't do much for me, infact I actually fell asleep watching them live and woke up rolling down the hill I was watching from. Bit annoying as I think I missed War Pigs :( .

Edited by Subbeh

I can take or leave Zep but the Sabbs are another kettle of fish.

One of my most enduring bands. I keep returning to them time after time. IMO the intro to War Pigs is one of the greatest pieces of music ever. There was a documentary on a few years back called "innovators" (i think) and they prayed the into to War Pigs against a back-drop of grim looking Birmingham hi-rise estates, as one of them stated, they're not from California so aren't going to write tracks about flowers and love. They are a total groove machine, check-out the break from Hand Of Doom.

Lost interest after Ozzy left as they seemed to take on the identity of whatever band the new lead singer had just left.

I love Led Zep, but unlike a lot of people I find it hard to like the earlier stuff, especially IV which appears to be the one everyone raves about. I have it, listened to it many times waiting for it to grow on me, but it never has. Physical Grafitti was the first album I heard, and remains my favourite. I also really like In Through the Out Door. Black Sabbath have never really done it for me, I confess I've not heard much, but what I have heard hasn't made me want to hear any more. I think I've just about succeeded in getting Paranoid kicked out of our set. Great song, but it's the metal Mustang sally, every bloody band does it.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1332149023' post='1583792']
Again, like a lot of people, LZ I find always interesting to listen to, lots going one.. Sabbath I find a little monolithic (although I thought they improved when Dio came on board) - almost a self parody in some ways..
[/quote]

Aren't Sabbath [i]supposed[/i] to be monolithic? I thought that was the idea (if not the attraction!)
I think they did descend into self-parody later on, though "Headless Cross" was ok, and "Dehumanizer" was bloody excellent - with the late great RJD back on vocals.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332153835' post='1583887']
Aren't Sabbath [i]supposed[/i] to be monolithic? I thought that was the idea (if not the attraction!)
I think they did descend into self-parody later on, though "Headless Cross" was ok, and "Dehumanizer" was bloody excellent - with the late great RJD back on vocals.
[/quote]

Exactly.

I don't generally like heavy rock/metal, especially all that dire 80's NWOBHM stuff, but I do like abit of zepplin now and then... Houses of the Holy is probably my favourite album.

Early Sabbath stuff has a certain brutal charm and starkness, but it's a bit too gloomy for me...

WHere I grew up it was LZ vs Deep Purple and I was inclined towards DP. As I got older I heard the whole LZ catalogue and love some of it (Rain Song is one I adore along with Kashmir, When The Levee Breaks etc) and hate some of it (the reggae song on HOTH? Stairway to Heaven etc). Same with Sabbath (and Ozzy); some great racks, some miserable. Ozzy can't sing, never could but it wasn't about that. Now, as I near my 50s, LZ have retained a credibility that BS lack but I never listen to either of them. My overall perspective is that BS were for kids, LZ for adults.

Ref: Bonham. He was a feel drummer with a great sound. His technique was limited but you alway knew it was him. He was always in the pocket and grooved like a mofo. Certainly a tough act to follow.