Why become a member? ×

Led zeppelin and black sabbath just dont do anything for me !

gub

I feel like the odd man out so many times in our rehersals as the rest of the guys are all into led zeppelin and sabbath and well ...i am not ! am i just being paranoid ? i really dont know , i feel like the black dog of the band !

Edited by gub

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1332093755' post='1583132']
I feel like the odd man out so many times in our rehersals as the rest of the guys are all into led zeppelin and sabbath and well ...i am not ! am i just being paranoid ? i really dont know , i feel like the black dog of the band !
[/quote]

Sit! :D :P

Not a huge fan of Zep, and not a huge fan of Ozzy's Sabbath (I love Dio's Sabbath though), but both bands are hugely influential and, in Sabbath's case, created a whole new music genre.

It's a bit like the Beatles, can't stand them, no matter how hard I try, but nobody can escape their influence.

i love Zeppelin, not so much Sabbath - though I like an odd mix of Ozzy/Dio stuff. It's horses for courses really. Me personaly I cant stand "screamo" stuff (sing a bit, scream a bit. Sing some more) and could never get into Death Metal. I like Jazz but mostly John Coltrane/Ella Fitzgerald type stuff - I cant stand listening to modern jazz - a group noodling endlessly away invarious scales and modes. Yeh its all technicaly proficient etc etc just doesnt rock my personal boat.

I don't think you have to like them - it's just a shame that they're not doing anything for you, given their relative influence.

But, then again, I can't stood Wooten, Miller, etc. Great technique and ability; not going on my stereo, sadly. It's all horses for courses, and neither outcome is wrong.

Edited by Gust0o

For some reason LZ always seem to ramble on (ahem!) excessively. The rhythm section are obviously superb in their own way, but the music seems to get bogged down in itself (apart from the shorter numbers)

Now Black Sabbath, on the other hand.... Are simply superb.
Not all the material is good, and I tend to regard the first six albums with the original line-up as best;
Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.
And when they were "on-song", they were awesome. I think part of the appeal of Sabbath (for me) was the darker outlook, surely a product of their collective upbringing in and around Aston/Birmingham. by contrast, Zeppelin seemed altogether less disenchanted and more affluent.

Led Zep - Woaaaah! My lady done left me (again)
Black Sabbath - Songs about War, death, religion, politics, the future, the past, and (unsurprisingly) substance abuse.

I try not to brush a band or artist with a don't like brush , I do try to pick stuff that they do which I do like , I have to say though that there is not too much Zep or Sabbath on my playlists ,but I wouldn't go so far as to re-tune the radio if it came on :huh:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332095673' post='1583183']
For some reason LZ always seem to ramble on (ahem!) excessively. The rhythm section are obviously superb in their own way, but the music seems to get bogged down in itself (apart from the shorter numbers)

Now Black Sabbath, on the other hand.... Are simply superb.
Not all the material is good, and I tend to regard the first six albums with the original line-up as best;
Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.
And when they were "on-song", they were awesome. I think part of the appeal of Sabbath (for me) was the darker outlook, surely a product of their collective upbringing in and around Aston/Birmingham. by contrast, Zeppelin seemed altogether less disenchanted and more affluent.

Led Zep - Woaaaah! My lady done left me (again)
Black Sabbath - Songs about War, death, religion, politics, the future, the past, and (unsurprisingly) substance abuse.
[/quote]

although I like some LZ, this post re. BS is my opinion as well.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are awesome albums, IMO of course.

I don't get them either. I've tried to get into Zeppelin,but it just doesn't do anything for me.....and
I really don't understand the Bonham worshipping at all. Same thing with Sabbath.
I won't turn them off if they're on the radio,but I'd never go out of my way to listen to them.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1332093755' post='1583132']
[/quote]

maybe... you are sounding rather dazed and confused tho

Used to play Sabs to death years ago.There wasn't much metal around back in the day.
I think vol 4 is a masterpiece. Masterof Reality, paranoid Sabbath Bloody Sabbath , 1st album, are must haves. Side 1 of Sabotage is
probably the best of all imho. Couldn't stand them with Dio or anyone else,apart from the odd single.

Zep for me were remarkable, but only for a few albums imho.And they're not metal :lol:

Thankfully there are many more bands out there, so I rarely listen to the two bands mentioned these days.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1332098588' post='1583279']
I really don't understand the Bonham worshipping at all.
[/quote]

is understandable if you listen to his solos he is technically nothing that special and some of JPJ early basslines if you listen to them in isolation are a bit rough and ready, but... the chemistry between them was quite something else especially in a live setting

i was fortunate enough to see them at knebworth 79 - a bizarre combination of some of the sloppiest guitar playing ive ever seen (courtesy of JP being stoned off his tits) backed by what i can honestly say was the most powerful and electric bass/drum performance ive ever seen - JPJ and JB might be nowhere near the top of their respective fields but imo their combined 'live' chemistry was a significant causal factor of the bonham worshipping

Edited by steve-bbb

Both great, not too mention influential bands - LZ in particular are probably my favourite band.....

Funnily enough, every decent drummer that I know seems to worship the ground that Bonham no longer walks upon!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1332099709' post='1583312']
Both great, not too mention influential bands - LZ in particular are probably my favourite band.....

Funnily enough, every decent drummer that I know seems to worship the ground that Bonham no longer walks upon!
[/quote]

Odd that Bonham gets all the attention, given that Bill Ward was clearly no slouch.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332099924' post='1583321']
Odd that Bonham gets all the attention, given that Bill Ward was clearly no slouch.
[/quote]
To be fair, I don't think that Ward was really in the same class or as influential as Bonham

I would say that although Led Zep are the greatest hard Rock band of all time.... Black Sabbath's debut was the better. I love them both including the Black Sabbath Dio and Gillan line ups. I have however lost all respect for Ozzy, after he and Sharon sold out the Blizzard of Ozz. I find it quite amusing that on the Black Sabbath forums, there is a sugestion that Bill Ward may have been ousted as he is no longer capable of performing at the highest level. How then is Ozzy in the band... He has been totally rubbish since 1981.

We cover both bands in one go by starting Whole Lotta Love and after the 2nd chorus go into Paranoid, then back into the last part of Whole Lotta Love. We call in Whole Lotta Paranoid.

I'm more into LZ than Sabbath, but it's probably down to listening to more LZ.

BTW you spell Zeppelin wrong in your thread title :P

If we all liked the same thing the music world would be pretty one dimentional. I have respect for both bands and really appreciate what they have brought to the table but could count the songs that I personally like from both bands on one hand.