Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Mag proof reader abandons his post!

gary mac

Seeing as this is now in the public domain I guess it's best you see this - no idea what it means for the likes of me - I'm curious to see how BGM now re-surfaces:

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/oyster-house-liquidated-new-company-formed/016347

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1331843182' post='1579864']
Seeing as this is now in the public domain I guess it's best you see this - no idea what it means for the likes of me - I'm curious to see how BGM now re-surfaces:

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/oyster-house-liquidated-new-company-formed/016347"]http://www.mi-pro.co...y-formed/016347[/url]
[/quote]

Probably just as well they didn't take me up on my offer...

That's a pity about Guitar Buyer - a couple of years ago it was by far the best of the guitar magazines IMO.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331843733' post='1579879']
Probably just as well they didn't take me up on my offer...

[b]That's a pity about Guitar Buyer - a couple of years ago it was by far the best of the guitar magazines IMO.[/b]
[/quote]

Totally agree.

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/oyster-house-liquidated-new-company-formed/016347"]http://www.mi-pro.co...y-formed/016347[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry to hear this, Mike.

A recent-ish edition of Bass Player magazine, in its lead interview with a very well-known bassist, quoted his admiration for the old jazz cats, including "Billy Holiday and Louie Armstrong". I had to write. I didn't get a reply

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331825800' post='1579540']
What ever happened to Bassist??

It disappeared whilst I was on sabbatical from bass :(
[/quote]It became BGM.

Going through cupboards at home recently I found my stockpile of I think virtually every issue since #1. I ought to do something with them as they are using a lot of space, but can't bring myself to dump them in the paperbank, or work up the enthusiasm to set up an eBay listing for old copies - the thought of the time in doing that doesn't bear thinking of!

[/quote]

So I assume from this People will lose subscriptions if they have them?

[quote name='loudandclear' timestamp='1331903467' post='1580660']
So I assume from this People will lose subscriptions if they have them?
[/quote]

That may explain the persistant emails I receieved from them about my sub expiring. Got about 2 a week for a month I think (I didnt renew).

I stopped reading that mag ages ago. They always seemed to review kit that I already know I don't like or have very bias opinion about the kit they are reviewing. One of their old journalists is a good friend of mine and he told me that bungs from manufacturers in exchange of a good review was common.

[/quote]

I do hope that this isn't one of those 'phoenix' situations where a company goes bust owing money and promptly re-establishes itself under another name.

As for the guitar mags, I recently ceased purchase of 'Guitarist' having bought it every month since Issue 2 in the mid 80's.

Why?

Well, their breathless infatuation with I-Pads (bung) and the introduction of 'The Vault' - a complete PITA as other readers will testify. My letter of complaint has gone unanswered, perhaps because of my allusion to the Vault being " spawn of a hideous reacharound involving your bean-counters and your techno-geeks."

No SOH, these journos.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331825800' post='1579540']
What ever happened to Bassist??

It disappeared whilst I was on sabbatical from bass :(
[/quote]

Bassist was a magazine that ran out of steam - when they started putting a totally irrelevant cartoon in it, the writing was on the wall (it wasn't even remotely funny). BGM is a much better magazine but that's just my opinion....

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1331815656' post='1579300']
cos some folk really really need that high B note

(i think it's B?)
[/quote]

On a 21 fret bass (in standard tuning) the highest fret-able note is n E. B would be the top note on the
D string (also the 16th fret on the G string)

I've got pretty much every issue of BGM (except 1 and 3),but I really think that the quality has gone down
over the last few issues. The newest issue with Dave Ellefson on the cover is pretty poor,which is a shame.

I like the words in BGM that you don't see (very often) in any other context, e.g. 'knurled' and 'chamfered'. I'm still not quite sure what any of it means, despite playing for over twenty years.

I agree that there is rarely any real criticism in the reviews. Commercially, it must be difficult slating equipment - they're not going to get much advertising revenue from the manufacturer afterwards.

The writing and the player interviews could be much much better. They're generally very banal. Bass Player certainly used to have much better writing and good transcriptions - I still go back to the transcriptions they had in a Jaco edition years ago.

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1331934434' post='1581300']
Bass Player certainly used to have much better writing and good transcriptions - I still go back to the transcriptions they had in a Jaco edition years ago.
[/quote]

Bass Player was a great magazine for about the first 10 years, but since then hasn't really got anywhere near.... Far too many ads & the interviews aren't up to their previous standard.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1331907486' post='1580769']
What happens in 'The Vault'?[/quote]
Guitarist used to stick audio and video (gear reviews and lessons) on a cover-mount CD-ROM. Stick it in the tray, nice little menu, click and play. Job done

Now it's all online, you have to sign in and answer three questions before you can view (ie download and view). And you have to do each one individually, so one 3 min review might be a 44 meg download.

So click, download, wait 3mins, view. Go back to menu, choose the next one, click, download, wait 3 mins, view, repeat ad nauseam.

Some of the file sizes seemed to be about 100mb so I gave up and deleted my account. That and the constant guff about "You can read guitarist on your I-Pad" sent me over the edge.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1331934434' post='1581300']
I like the words in BGM that you don't see (very often) in any other context, e.g. 'knurled' and 'chamfered'. I'm still not quite sure what any of it means, despite playing for over twenty years.

[/quote]

Knob both knurled [i]and[/i] chamfered :) I used to love using the old knurler on a fresh piece of bar in my lathe, then if i didnt feel like living dangerouly I'd chamfer the edge with a file.

Edited by daz

As I mentioned in another topic: when BGM were describing a Dingwall super P, "based on Leo Fender`s classic 1960`s design." There is simply no excuse for printing garbage like this in a specialst magazine.

To be fair to BGM writing a review must be quite difficult due to the fact that you don`t get many "bad" basses these days. Even a £200 bass is decent enough quality to gig with. Or even £100 if you buy a Westfield.

I`m a bit of a magazine junkie but I don`t buy it on a regular basis. Guitar and Bass magazine is a much better buy, imo of course.

Jez