Why become a member? ×

Some basses are only really ever out on loan!

warwickhunt

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331210201' post='1569403']
So if you have the Sadowsky back, what is the Bolin/NS for?
[/quote]
You could equally ask, what is the Sterling (maple board)/Sterling (rosewood board)/SSI/SSI (5th Anniversary)/Ibanez AFR/Aria Sinsonidia/Parker Fly/Galveston (12 string)/Infinette/NS WAV for? :D

They are all different 'flavours' and I pick and choose depending upon the band situation... and sometimes the colour of my shirt! :o :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1331213741' post='1569493']
Of course, we are only going on looks.

Some basses play like bitches but look like goddess'

:lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Agreed because essentially looks are the only thing you can't do anything about! :D

I've bought basses in the past that arrived and played like dogs (yes I do indeed buy basses without trying them first) but it's rare (short of a major malfunction such as twisted neck etc.) these days to find a bass that can't be 'fettled' to play well and the tone is pretty subjective any way, especially wants you get above the budget sector bass market. Added to which, a change of pups and/or electrics can make a world of difference to the tone of a bass.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331215478' post='1569546']
Added to which, a change of pups and/or electrics can make a world of difference to the tone of a bass.
[/quote]

Like my early 70's JapCrap Maya, which I bought from PsychoAndy.

I swopped out the rubbish after-market 80's Schaller mudbucker and put in some Lollars I got from Beedster.

It's now one of the nicest P-basses I've ever heard.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331154170' post='1568675']
:lol: I could have put money on the main contributors to this thread... I've only got Barrie to chip in and I'll have the 'full house' that I predicted! :D
[/quote]

Oddly enough the two, possibly three, basses that I'd buy back again were all purchased off the two 'main contributors' here. Mrs Deaver has just chipped in to say why don't we organise it like an art club where you swap the paintings around every so often.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331215478' post='1569546']
Agreed because essentially looks are the only thing you can't do anything about! :D

I've bought basses in the past that arrived and played like dogs (yes I do indeed buy basses without trying them first) but it's rare (short of a major malfunction such as twisted neck etc.) these days to find a bass that can't be 'fettled' to play well and the tone is pretty subjective any way, especially wants you get above the budget sector bass market. Added to which, a change of pups and/or electrics can make a world of difference to the tone of a bass.
[/quote]

I just can't do that..I just have to be completely happy with the purchase in every little way... but once I've danced through these hoops, I don't sell easily at all. It took me two years to decide to sell the last one.
My turn-over of basses is small, as a consequence but the only one I kind of regret was the 75 Jazz.. regret buying, that is..but I was very green as it as my first 'proper' purchase..

Not forgetting the Zon Sonus came back to you John, but I picked up a Streamer from you which is quite frankly the best Warwick I've ever played! Sorry I haven't been in touch about popping down with my basses, things have been crazy at work recently with my rest days getting cancelled...feel like I've never been away from the place!

Strange you say that, I just found the only photo I think I have of my MIM Jazz (first bass after my starter Washburn) it went on eBay when I went to uni as the P had replaced it, decided I wanted it back and tracked down the gent I sold it to. bugger wouldnt sell it back! Said he prefered it to his Zoot!

Badass bridge. It rocked.

[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/popek_2k/Picture084.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1331225476' post='1569840']
Not forgetting the Zon Sonus came back to you John, but I picked up a Streamer from you which is quite frankly the best Warwick I've ever played! Sorry I haven't been in touch about popping down with my basses, things have been crazy at work recently with my rest days getting cancelled...feel like I've never been away from the place!
[/quote]
Now there's a stranger quirk! The Zon I originally sold, traded back from you, then sold again and the Warwick Ltd that you got in the trade I did originally sell then buy back from the same person!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331208373' post='1569357']
You sure? ;)
[/quote]

I'll loan you a 6 string electric guitar...

In a side bass related note, I was in your bit of the world on sat. Well newcastle, it's a nice place. I threatened to drag the gf into bass shops after the 50th clothes shop. Also played a 5 string yamaha round the gf's brothers, first time trying a 5 for any length of time. Or a yamaha for that matter. Anyway back on topic....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1331239249' post='1570255']
I'll loan you a 6 string electric guitar...

In a side bass related note, I was in your bit of the world on sat. Well newcastle, it's a nice place. I threatened to drag the gf into bass shops after the 50th clothes shop. Also played a 5 string yamaha round the gf's brothers, first time trying a 5 for any length of time. Or a yamaha for that matter. Anyway back on topic....
[/quote]

Should have given me a shout, I'd have met you in Blake's for a coffee!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331244439' post='1570353']
Should have given me a shout, I'd have met you in Blake's for a coffee!
[/quote]

aw didn't think of that. we were visiting my friends (run the hol y bis cuit) (without the spaces but don't want google picking up me talking about her) and then the gf brother and sis inlaw....newcastle is nice.
On sunday we went to leeds, which is where we'll be moving sept. I now understand the phrase "ooh it's grim up north"

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1331244712' post='1570361']
On sunday we went to leeds, which is where we'll be moving sept. I now understand the phrase "ooh it's grim up north"
[/quote]
Christ, if you think that it's grim in Leeds you had better not visit Bradford....!!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1331246358' post='1570400']
Haha! I love the north! Cold, but friendly. Well, not always cold.
[/quote][quote name='peteb' timestamp='1331246620' post='1570408']
Christ, if you think that it's grim in Leeds you had better not visit Bradford....!!
[/quote]

survived a year last year living in glasgow, do you think it was good prep? (including 3 months near coatbridge which isn't strictly glasgow but...)

I bought a Mex Jazz bass from E bay a couple of years ago, played it for a while and then sold it onto Donnboy before he was a member of this fine forum. About a year later I put a Tbird pro up for sale and Donny got in touch and wanted to buy it. Rather than a cash deal he asked if I wanted the Jazz back and so we agreed the swap. He came down and we exchanged them, so I had my old Jazz back.

24 hours later Donny is back on the blower asking if he could get the Jazz back and he would give me the 250 I was looking for the Tbird originally. No problem as he loved it more than I did. So all in I owned the Jazz for 48 hours after getting it back. Is this a record or can you do better?

Jez