Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personal Safety

shizznit

I've played some dodgy dives in my time. I played a bar down in Leith which was straight out of Trainspotting. The manageress was a 65 year old ex hooker in a mini skirt and thighboots. Most of the fighting was between shellsuited women and the guys just wandered around in a heroin induced haze. The singer/gutarist had a full pint thrown at him while he was singing which just missed him and smashed against the wall.

Amazingly they loved us and asked us back! I refused to go as I didn't want to end up dead but the rest of the band actually went and played the gig. That night some guy got glassed for supporting the wrong team.

It could have been me.

Oooh scary stuff. Glad that you all made it. It must have been a really uncomfortable gig :(

Should you name the venue? I really don't know if its a good idea from a legal perspective.

I can't even come close to that experience - stabbing in the eye!

Once had a huge guy with a tattoo on his forehead walk right up to the stage and stare at me for about a minute. He was only 12 inches from me staring down and i was thinking "sh*t, sh*t, sh*t etc". "Great sound" he said and walked off :lol:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331154443' post='1568681']
[b]Lads, I think you need to look at this again[/b] - ok, so the OP isn't naming and shaming; but there's not many social clubs in Grunos, eh?

In fact, I'm pretty sure there's only one on the estate. So just avoid that one, eh? :)
[/quote]
Or just avoid estates completely ;) :D

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1331156971' post='1568757']
I live in Cardiff and wouldn't, really wouldn't play anywhere near Gurnos. Rather play in the old docklands than that.
[/quote]

We have played in Mischiefs a few times with no incident and a couple of private functions at the Coal Exchange. The docks are not as bad as it used to be years ago since the professionals have been moving into the area with all of the fancy development going on in the Bay.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331154443' post='1568681']
[b]Lads, I think you need to look at this again[/b] - ok, so the OP isn't naming and shaming; but there's not many social clubs in Grunos, eh?

In fact, I'm pretty sure there's only one on the estate. So just avoid that one, eh? :)
[/quote]

There's actually two...one in the heart of the estate and a sports club just on the outskirts...both of which I would recommend avoiding. Like I said guys, I don't believe in naming and shaming on a public forum. It's come back to bite me in the ass in the past. If you are a S.Wales band and want to give this venue a wide burth then PM me and I will fill you in.

I have played many gigs in the Merthyr area because 5 members of the band are from that neck of the woods and we get a lot of gigs from word of mouth. Always had a lot of fun up there and never had any trouble with the punters. Stay in town...stay away from Gurnos!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1331145885' post='1568507']
So, this place has a bad reputation, you were verbally and physically abused, you were threatened with a stabbing in the eye, you received further abuse, you were intimidated on stage...
You really should be naming this place.
[/quote]

[b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=8]+1[/size][/font][/b]

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]... and being the unfortunate cynic that i am i would go even further as to speculate that 'if' anything untoward had happened[/font][/font] then the licensee of said premises would have had no involvement or concern whatsoever both for not wanting to upset the local meatheads and secondly if police get involved it all gets logged and fed back to the licensing authorities (which will directly affect the licensee)[/size]

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1331125825' post='1568023']
Used to regularly play a pub in Crawley that was a bit like that, but was our best payer for a while. Always fightsand agro and you had to shift your gear through the pub. I was really happy when we dropped it for venues that actually appreciate music.
[/quote]

That wouldn't be the Rose and Crown by any chance ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1331140431' post='1568385']

I've played a venue in Enfield North London, scenario very similar to this. I flat out refused to go back. The drummer said he wouldn't mind returning. My reply was along the lines of 'you'll be doing it with a different bass player then'. No point in naming that venue, as it's now closed down.
[/quote]

That wasn't The Alma in Ponders End was it ?

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331197072' post='1569098']
I have played many gigs in the Merthyr area because 5 members of the band are from that neck of the woods and we get a lot of gigs from word of mouth. Always had a lot of fun up there and never had any trouble with the punters. Stay in town...stay away from Gurnos!
[/quote]

+1 to that - pretty sure I haven't had the pleasure of this particular venue, but we play a lot of gigs in the Valleys including the Merthyr area and they're invariably great, the punters drink hard and party harder. Fights are common (wedding do's often the worst!), but never aimed at the band in my experience.

Gurnos Estate is infamous, yet another legacy of fantastic '60's social planning.....

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1331201596' post='1569184']
It was the Arras club
[/quote]

Ah the Arras Club opposite the Red Lion on Enfield Highway. Yeah, that was a pretty rough place in its day. My mates old man used to drink in there and on the few occasions I went there, it was a bit lively to say the least.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1331156971' post='1568757']
I live in Cardiff and wouldn't, really wouldn't play anywhere near Gurnos. Rather play in the old docklands than that.
[/quote]

Many years ago I used to go to see bands at the Big Windsor down that way when I was visiting my mate. Always had a great night. I believe it's a curry house now.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1331125232' post='1568008']

I was told once something along the lines that if I didn't support the right football team I wasn't getting out of the place alive. I just laughed and said I was from England where they don't have proper football :) Note to dmmcombe7 above who appears to live 10 mins up the road from me.... stay away from Viewpark :) :)
[/quote]

I know the area well. I'm originally from Motherwell. Your response about football is brill - like that a lot. However that could have back-fired on you too :lol:
Your experience of Police obviously differs from mine but guess that is down to who the officers are in your area. I'm kinda outside Lanark and its a local squad from Biggar who normally deal with issues up this way. Maybe they are more "community spirited" but they do provide a pretty good service up here. Compare that to Motherwell and your point is very valid and i would probably agree.

Although i pass through Carluke every day i can't say what its like pub wise apart from The Gallery watching a band called Haemeroids many moons ago. Fun gig i must admit.

My recomendation to call police was after you left the gig and were well clear and was more to make them aware there were issues at that venue. Would never call while I'm there - I'm a coward to extreme - well sort off anyway now that I've matured in yrs.

At some point i will pub crawl Carluke to get a feel for it. Great Indian take-away though on main street. :D

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1331205941' post='1569293']
At some point i will pub crawl Carluke to get a feel for it. Great Indian take-away though on main street. :D
[/quote]

Carluke is far too polite for any trouble. I actually live in Law Village and the pub there is definitely not polite in the slightest. However, the Indian take away is the business!

I actually mean that areas like the OP is speaking about (and Viewpark and the like) have an attitude along the lines of taking the law into their own hands. One does not call the cops. In my experience, most of the bands I have played in take the same attitude. I wasn't brought up like that (in quiet Yorkshire) but there you go...

Edited by thepurpleblob

[right]Played a place in Wolfreton (?) just outside of Milton Keynes, about 10 years ago. After a lucklustre audience response, we thought we hadn't gone down too well, but one of the punters gave me £20 to get the band a round, and another said 'you were great, you didn't get bottled or nothing'. Apparently the previous band to play there had been bottled off - and no chicken wire![/right]
[right]After the gig we were locked in the pub for our safety as there were pitched battles going out outside, which was a regular occurance.[/right]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1331206752' post='1569317']
Carluke is far too polite for any trouble. I actually live in Law Village and the pub there is definitely not polite in the slightest. However, the Indian take away is the business!

I actually mean that areas like the OP is speaking about (and Viewpark and the like) have an attitude along the lines of taking the law into their own hands. One does not call the cops. In my experience, most of the bands I have played in take the same attitude. I wasn't brought up like that (in quiet Yorkshire) but there you go...
[/quote]

Ah the LAW (no pun intended) village - i know it well. Several friends live there.
Yep agree never managed enough courage to go into the pubs though. :)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1331207522' post='1569338']
[right]Played a place in Wolfreton (?) just outside of Milton Keynes, about 10 years ago. After a lucklustre audience response, we thought we hadn't gone down too well, but one of the punters gave me £20 to get the band a round, and another said 'you were great, you didn't get bottled or nothing'. Apparently the previous band to play there had been bottled off - and no chicken wire![/right]
[right]After the gig we were locked in the pub for our safety as there were pitched battles going out outside, which was a regular occurance.[/right]
[/quote]

Do you mean Wolverton? If so, wonder which venue - one of my bands plays The Crauford Arms and we`ve always found it to be ok - suppose a lot can change in 10 years though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331300979' post='1571026']

Do you mean Wolverton? If so, wonder which venue - one of my bands plays The Crauford Arms and we`ve always found it to be ok - suppose a lot can change in 10 years though.
[/quote]

That's the place, but really can't remember the pub ñame.

Reminds me of the Blues Brothers... 'That aint no Hank Williams song!'.

I reckon you did well under very dificult circumstances. Can't have been fun having to play in that situation and while you should never have to put up with that (or any serious) abuse while out playing I wouldn't bother calling the police unless anyone gets hurt. They won't do anything unless you can give them at least a name and they are more likely to arrest and charge the easiest target rather than the real villain. I'm not anti police as such. It's just when I have had cause to involve them in something they have been utterly useless.

Hope you have some better gigs lined up soon :-)

You could contact the Licensing department of the local council and report your experiences to them. Landlords tend to take notice of those who can close them down. It would be advisable to contact the Licensing Sergeant from the local plod to. He'll be well aware of the reputation of the venue and can use your report to help keep the landlord in line. Regular patrons will take notice of the landlord.