Why become a member? ×

Stagefright - who suffers from it and how do you deal with it?

I've always suffered badly from stagefright - ironically I've always hated being in the spotlight or being the centre of attention (why I chose to be in bands I don't know!) - and in years past coped with it either simply by gigging as much as possible to try and make it as familiar as possible and so make it a little less scary, drinking to take the edge off, or usually both.

The less I gig and the older I get, the worse it gets. The past few years I've done very little gigging and that, combined with my increasing lack of confidence as I get older, exacerbated by physical issues which are currently hindering my playing and making it almost impossible for me to do any real practice, have meant that the stagefright is back with a vengeance.

I've recently done a couple of open-mic type things (bear in mind in the past I've played some relatively big gigs and played & sung with my own band at the Marquee) and have quite frankly been almost paralysed with fear. I can't breath properly, the fingers don't work, I go completely blank, lines which I can normally play in my sleep turn into Donna Lee at 400bpm or I simply can't remember them in the first place. I'll add that I'm notorious for being crushingly self-critical at the best of times which obviously doesn't help.

Does anyone else suffer from it? If so, how do you get round it?

I used to get very nervous years ago, but not now. I think you're right in saying that the number of gigs you do, the less of a problem it becomes, and the more confident you become in being in that situation, and in your own abilities.

I used to agonise over any little mistake I made at a gig, but now realise that from the punters' point of view I'm just that bloke with the funny big guitar standing at the back! :D

In my previous band (in fact most of my previous bands) it was doubly difficult in that I'd written all the material, and was often singing too (lead or backing). I know that no-one notices your mistakes, but it's not about that. Nowadays as soon as I step in front of an audience it's like I'm almost paralysed. Although I haven't vomited yet so I'm one up on Ozzy and Kate Bush! :lol:

In the words of the great Nelson Mandela, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it". Everybody gets stage fright, just in varying amounts.

Try and embrace it, but control it. It'll keep you alert and on your toes. I think the biggest thing for me is audience being able to sense that you're nervous, and them reacting negatively too it. You don't have to be over the top confident, but let yourself get into the groove and do it for you. They'll respond to that better and in turn the stage fright will lessen.

I'm not a very good inspirational speaker, but I hope this might have helped in a small way!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330868281' post='1563994']
Nowadays as soon as I step in front of an audience it's like I'm almost paralysed.[/quote]

Chemical assistance? ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330868281' post='1563994']
Although I haven't vomited yet so I'm one up on Ozzy and Kate Bush! :lol:[/quote]

Maybe you should - get it over with! :D

I'm the same, I think I'd colapse if I had to play a gig now.

Back in the day it was a very fine balance between drinking enough to get on stage and not blank out from fear and drinking too much, getting over confident, overing play and making things up on the spot :unsure:

[quote name='Alex Spencer' timestamp='1330868407' post='1563999']
In the words of the great Nelson Mandela, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it". Everybody gets stage fright, just in varying amounts.

[/quote]

I read something recently, "cowardice is not caused by an absence of courage but by a surfeit of imagination". I think that's my problem. ;)

Whilst obviously dealing with far more stressful live situations than I ever have, I believe stagefright may have been what caused Kate Bush and a certain member of XTC to give up touring.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1330869292' post='1564032']

Back in the day it was a very fine balance between drinking enough to get on stage and not blank out from fear and [b]drinking too much, getting over confident, overing play and making things up on the spot [/b] :unsure:
[/quote]

This is bad??? Crikey, that's my entire career written off in one sentence. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330868435' post='1564000']
Chemical assistance? ;)

Maybe you should - get it over with! :D
[/quote]

On Friday I watched the band who followed us (after dropping some of the worst clangers of my 30 years of playing) and the singer/ acoustic guitarist was physically [i]so[/i] relaxed. Didn't appear to be either stoned or hammered either. He looked like there wasn't an ounce of tension in his entire body. I always used to think the same watching Stuart Zender in Jamiroquai, although I suspect there was definitely some chemical assistance going on there. :lol:

Fortunately its something I've rarely had to struggle with. But you could take some comfort in the fact that because you're the bass player, no one will probably be paying much attention to you!! Haha :)

It's best to remember that a crowd are there to watch you and are probably quite enviable at the fact that you could even get up on stage to showcase your talent in the first place. That puts you in the driving seat, and once you figure out that the adrenaline pumping through you from a great crowd reaction is an incredible rush, you'll find that you start relaxing a lot more and enjoying what you're doing. That's the aim of the game really, you're up there to enjoy yourself!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1330873279' post='1564135']
Fortunately its something I've rarely had to struggle with. But you could take some comfort in the fact that because you're the bass player, no one will probably be paying much attention to you!! Haha :)

It's best to remember that a crowd are there to watch you and are probably quite enviable at the fact that you could even get up on stage to showcase your talent in the first place. That puts you in the driving seat, and once you figure out that the adrenaline pumping through you from a great crowd reaction is an incredible rush, you'll find that you start relaxing a lot more and enjoying what you're doing. That's the aim of the game really, you're up there to enjoy yourself!
[/quote]

Apart form a 3 year interlude with a great band, I haven't managed that in 30 years sadly. I actually thought I was up there to give me another stick to beat myself with. ;)

FWIW the audience is generally very complimentary. For some reason that only makes it worse. :lol:

Edited by 4000

No, don't suffer from it and it may be because I always try to be the most prepared I can be.
I dislike going into gigs offthe pace and therefore very rarely do..altho that doesn't mean you always have great gigs form a personal POV.

I am also highly critical but I just relax and think others don't judge as I do. I have also learnt that this can be positive as long as it pushes you on
and you don't get on everyone else nerves about it. So I back of and hold my tongue more..
I like a gig where the ante is raised a tad but I am really not going to beat myself up for a pub date for £50 or so...
If you have an inner confidence that you know what you are doing and can mostly do it..then that is a nice cushion to have.

I would think that you may feel under pressure more so, because your preparation may not be ideal..??
Also, don't play in 3-4 piece bands where all the work comes your way... let someone else take the heat.
Enjoy it..that is the main point.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330873255' post='1564134']
On Friday I watched the band who followed us (after dropping some of the worst clangers of my 30 years of playing)[/quote]

And what happened then?
did the roof fall in? did the crowd attack you ? did the promotor rip into you ? did they stop the cheque?
did you start a thread ? Oh yes you did....

the worst that happened after your worst gig was to look for a bit of advice , theres nothing wrong that, if you really enjoy it, just realise that you are purely there to provide entertainment and fun to both the audience and yourself.
I guess if you are playing your own compositions there is a little more pressure , but then if you didn't have confidence in the material you wouldn't play it .

get out there and nail their hats on , you know it makes sense ;)

I don`t get any stage fright as such, the only thing I get is a "hurry up and lets get on stage" feeling, rather like a kid waiting for Xmas Day, as I enjoy playing live so much.

Some may say that this may be a form of stage fright, I don`t know, only that I never get nervous about how many are in the audience, will I play ok, is my gear going to work properly etc, so to me, that`s an absence of stage fright.

Chemical assistance isn't the answer. A couple of "courage" drinks or a toke is only gonna risk compromising your playing ability.
If you're nervous, get back beside the drummer (behind a guitarist if you can) & pretend you're invisible. Look at your hands & feet whilst you play so you're not looking at the audience.
If you was in my band, my singer would put you out front in the middle & he'd go to one side. He's done that to me twice & it doesn't phase me anymore (first time was a little "I hope you're not expecting some Jaco").

Relax. You know how to play.

Prowl around in the back. :D
I like to stare off into space while I play (if I'm not improvising) so that usually helps with any stage fright. Probably
the best thing to do is to turn up the lights on stage so they're kind of in your eyes so you can't see the crowd; works every time.

It depends on the gig. Recently I've been back playing bass (after ten years playing in other bands) for an old friend of mine, who is a singer and guitarist, who has gone onto bigger and better things touring with some big names as guitarist and band leader. The bassists he's been playing with recently are real pros so when I turn up for the gig I know I have to impress. It's good for me though because I've been cruising for a while and these gigs stretch me and mean I have to up my game.

It's weird because I thought I was over the butterflys in the stomach thing a long time ago.

There's a reasonably clear line between pre-gig nervousness and stage fright. Most of us are afflicted by the former and many are afflicted by the latter. In either case, some simple, established routines and mental exercises can help.

Positive visualisation and avoidance of external stress helps. One can develop one's own approach, but, for myself, the following helps:

* Early arrival and a quick scout round the venue to familarise myself with the general layout.

* Briefly occupy the 'stage area' before set-up and look out at the room, while thinking "I own this space". If the stage area is big enough, walk round it to 'establish my territory'.

* Get my rig set up as quickly as possible then get off the stage, leaving other band members to have their little stress-outs. Return only when they're done fussing.

* Soundcheck (if poss), then find a quiet place to run through the intro parts to each song in setlist order - once only. Put the bass in position then go for a stroll.

* Going on - I look at the audience and think "I'm not standing up in front of [i]you[/i]. You're sitting down in front of [i]me[/i]"

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1330879038' post='1564245']
There's a reasonably clear line between pre-gig nervousness and stage fright. Most of us are afflicted by the former and many are afflicted by the latter.
[/quote]

Very good point made there.

I have never really experienced nerves in a playing situation. My self talk is appalling anyway and I am always aware of how I am playing but I don't really care what anyone else is thinking at any given moment. If I am not happy and someone says it was great, it doesn't make me feel any better. Likewise, If I think it was great and someone says it was sh*t, I'm inclined to dismiss them.

From my classical music days I knew a Glasgow GP who happened to also be a very good pianist. He used to prescribe himself Beta Blockers. A vice principal Violinist who had to have at least 5 large Vodkas before going on. You are not alone, there are many 'names' who suffer terribly with the heebeegeebee's. Many of these have developed interesting 'coping mechanisms' over the years. One famous soprano used to go on stage wanting a wee, which gave her something else to think about!

Familiarity with the dots, the venue, your band mates all help. Our drummer is cacking himself about our first gig. We go out of our way to support him, big up his drumming (which is actually very good), go over stuff he is concerned about etc.

I've heard that hypnotism helps?

LC