Why become a member? ×

Blimey, Mani joins BassChat! And now ...Fumps!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330522941' post='1558779']
My brother was at a festival of some sort (may have been bikes nto music) and was walking along and saw a mate of his so wandered over only to find the mate was with a friend of HIS; one Gary Moore. My brother was a huge fan and, being a bit awestruck and trying to be cool at teh same time, said to Moore 'hey man. Nice to meet you. I've been a fan for ywars'.

Moore responds 'Hey man. I don't like to talk about my music' to whcih the mutual friend says 'Oi. Stop being a c*** and talk to the guy. He's been paying your wages for decades'. So he did. Which was nice.....

[/quote]

I'm not really surprised. It's what he does for a living and he's enjoying his day off looking at bikes. Talk to him about bikes.

There's nothing more tedious than being at a party and being asked what you do for a living and then trying to make putting screws into widgets sound interesting when I'd rather talk about my hobby of bass playing.

Big name bass players on forums talking about their day job? Shouldn't they be on golf forums?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1330524652' post='1558821']
I'm not really surprised. It's what he does for a living and he's enjoying his day off looking at bikes. Talk to him about bikes.

There's nothing more tedious than being at a party and being asked what you do for a living and then trying to make putting screws into widgets sound interesting when I'd rather talk about my hobby of bass playing.

Big name bass players on forums talking about their day job? Shouldn't they be on golf forums?
[/quote]

Um, it might have been his living but it was his passion aswell. He hadn't done a sh*t day job like yours for decades.

Whilst I`m sure everyone in the public eye can have an off-day, they should remember that to a fan, when meeting someone whose music/sport/political career they appreciate, it is a big deal, and a bit of grace and politeness doesn`t hurt.

In Jake Burns`s (of SLF) book, he says that no matter how many times he gets fed up of playing Alternative Ulster, or signing an autograph, it`s part of his job (that he states he is very lucky to have)and should always remember that without the fans, he`s without that job.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330524753' post='1558822']
Is music really like any other mundane job? I don't think it can be compared. What do you think?
[/quote]

To many its a passion, and ive yet to find someone who doesn't like talking about their passion. Then again, i can understand if you get asked the same old questions every time you are out in public. I can imagine that would be tiresome.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330521310' post='1558736']
You didn't see the Gwizmon fiasco during which Gwiz got pissed off and didn't post anything since and the offending member got himself banned.
[/quote]

IIRC up to that point all of Janek Gwizdala's posts had been him trying to flog his various recordings. Doesn't make him any more of a Basschat contributor than the people who join simply to flog their basses and never appear anywhere else on the forum.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330524753' post='1558822']
Is music really like any other mundane job? I don't think it can be compared. What do you think?
[/quote]

I used to work for an advertising agency where our clients included Lotus Cars and Triumph Motorcycles. For several of the designers this pretty much made it their dream job. I was still more interested in getting away at a reasonably sensible time so I could play in my band.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330525869' post='1558846']
To many its a passion, and ive yet to find someone who doesn't like talking about their passion. [/quote]

Quite. Mr George Harrison was notoriously prickly about discussing Beatles-related matters with fans. Yet get him onto the subject of George Formby and he was charm personified.

President of the George Formby fan-club, in fact. Attended all the important meetings and always brought his banjo-lele along. Thus proving it's possible to be a big-name muso and still have a musical passion unrelated to one's work.

More here: [url="http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dennis.taylor/Page_036_george_harrison_mbe.htm"]http://myweb.tiscali...arrison_mbe.htm[/url]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]When you meet new people, you never know how they are going to react but you can make a few good guesses. [/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Most musicians whether famous or not are passionate about what they do.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Most people whether musicians or not like being complimented[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Most people whether musicians or not get bored by being asked the same old questions when off duty (like doctors being asked about ailments or lawyers being asked about legal problems at parties).[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Occasionally people post here expressing boredom or irritation with punters who come up and ramble on to them after a gig. I guess it all depends how it’s done.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]If I get the chance to meet any performer after a gig or piece of theatre I have seen, I will usually thank and congratulate them if I think they were really good. I’ve never been rebuffed . Sometimes they will just say ‘glad you enjoyed it’, at other times a really interesting conversation may ensue.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I’ve only ever met 2 famous musicians. One was Cozy Powell (as mentioned in another thread). I didn’t talk to him about music as I met him in a business situation and I didn’t think it would be appropriate. He was very pleasant.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]The other was Rockette Morton (bass player, Magic Band) who some friends and I chanced to meet just before a gig. We talked to him a lot about music and he was extremely charming , friendly and happy to talk about his music past and present. I even went as far as to send him an e-mail after the gig to tell him how much we enjoyed it and he sent back a gracious reply. I didn’t carry on with the correspondence though as I didn’t want him to get the impression I thought I was his new best mate! [/font][/color][/size]

I don't have a s**t day job! How very dare you. I find putting screws in widgets very stimulating but having discussed the finer points of widget screws during the day I'm not really going to get that fired up talking about widgets to a complete stranger even if they have a room full of widgets that I have personally built at their home.

Sure people will talk about music and be polite when cornered but surely it's better to start off talking about something less obvious when in a non music situation.

I might also add that on the rare occasasions when anyone I didn't know has come up to me after a play and congratulated me on my performance I have been chuffed to bits. Even if they say something a bit naff like - 'how did you learn all those lines?'. So I like to reciprocate by praising other performers when I can. Spread a little happiness, that's what I say.

[quote name='SidVicious1978' timestamp='1330538004' post='1559096'] Won't Mani feel weird/scared about all of us talking about him like this? I'm just saying :unsure: [/quote]Yep.. and am i the only person whos never heard of Mani..? Sure ive listened to a bit of Stone Roses, not enough to take heed... i think now is a good time..

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1330513855' post='1558540']
This thread is actually more embarrasing than when a girl joins and everyone reverts to being 14 year old virgins.

[/quote]

I dont think everyone reverted to 14 year old virgins when I joined. Im hurt now!! lol. come on guys I expected more from you ;) :D

P.s HEY Mani! great to have you aboard mate, hope you have a nice time here. much love xxx

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1330542286' post='1559185']
I dont think everyone reverted to 14 year old virgins when I joined. Im hurt now!! lol. come on guys I expected more from you ;) :D[/quote]

I say! When you posted your intro, our resident Zen master Silddx welcomed you with:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1310052525' post='1296123']
you'll get no end of support and advice if you suddenly find you have a pancreatic oedema [/quote]

If that's not a sly come-on, I don't know what is. :huh:

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330543092' post='1559205']
Well I'm sure if you missed the experience there would be a queue of people willing to swap MSN details to give you the full experience :P
[/quote]

Bless. :rolleyes:
No thanks - speaking for myself, I was delighted with the nice, grown-up welcome I received back in November. B)