Why become a member? ×

Blimey, Mani joins BassChat! And now ...Fumps!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1330518778' post='1558664']
Bet he's regretting it already :rolleyes: give a guy a break B)
[/quote]

Im sure he loves it. Looking at his three posts, and name dropping in each one, i get the impression he wants people to know who he is. Nothing wrong with that of course but if you dont want the attention etc etc

This all reminds me of Queen's Roger Taylor.

A mate is a friend of his. They met in a pub in London. Roger ordered a drink, my mate Andy was standing next to him. Andy did the old "Aren't you...?"

Roger, slighlty frustrated replied "Yes I am, yes it's brilliant to be me" etc etc

Andy told him that actually he couldn't stand his music for more than about 3 seconds. So they had a drink together.

It seems a healthy disrespect for his entire body of work was the perfect way to find a drinking buddy!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1330520545' post='1558714']
How likely is it that he's gonna get harrassed? Did Guy Pratt get hassled when he joined?
I think most people on here have enough respect to not message a well known user stupid questions every few seconds.
[/quote]

Agreed. After all, we are all stars anyway so know how to behave.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1330520545' post='1558714']
How likely is it that he's gonna get harrassed? Did Guy Pratt get hassled when he joined?
I think most people on here have enough respect to not message a well known user stupid questions every few seconds.
[/quote]
You didn't see the Gwizmon fiasco during which Gwiz got pissed off and didn't post anything since and the offending member got himself banned.

It's funny how we treat successful people in this country. Love and rooting for the underdog quickly turns to petty hatred when they hit the big time. We dehumanise and objectify them and subject them to quantification. Mark King's better than Flea, Flea is a c*nt, etc. You would not see ShergoldSnickers is better than thisnameistaken, tnit is sh*t on here would you? Until they both get multiple platinum ablums and massive tours. Then see how long it takes ;)

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1330512287' post='1558493']
Mani is one of my best mates Cousins.

True story!

If you are reading this Mani, his name is Jordan and lives in Strood, I believe you have visited the area, specifically the Sportsman.
[/quote]

Sportsman!? I used to know the landlady there, and used to have a couple of pints in there now and again!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330521310' post='1558736']
You didn't see the Gwizmon fiasco during which Gwiz got pissed off and didn't post anything since and the offending member got himself banned.

It's funny how we treat successful people in this country. Love and rooting for the underdog quickly turns to petty hatred when they hit the big time. We dehumanise and objectify them and subject them to quantification. Mark King's better than Flea, Flea is a c*nt, etc. You would not see ShergoldSnickers is better than thisnameistaken, tnit is sh*t on here would you? Until they both get multiple platinum ablums and massive tours. Then see how long it takes ;)
[/quote]

The attitude of people sitting behind their PC screen and further protected by a screen name is different from their behaviour in person.
I have happened to meet in real life members of other forums I profoundly disliked "on screen" and got along with them famously. And I've more often than not seen famous musicians walking along the street minding their own business - Maiden spring to mind as they are local - being respectfully allowed to keep minding such business without being mobbed for autographs or asked stupid questions while queueing at the till in Waitrose.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330521310' post='1558736']You would not see ShergoldSnickers is better than thisnameistaken, tnit is sh*t on here would you? Until they both get multiple platinum ablums and massive tours. Then see how long it takes ;)[/quote]

I think with players like Janek they're more open to criticism because they position themselves as virtuosos, and that's all well and good in and of itself but y'know, some people just don't like the sounds they make - there's not much you can do about that. That Jauqo-MCMLXXXVIII bloke for example, his music sounds awful to me, maybe he's immensely talented but I can't listen to him, and he also seems like a bell end.

I don't think you'll ever get a 20-string bass performance out of me, certainly not on a self-indulgent 'jazz' record, can't speak for ShergoldSnickers.

My brother was at a festival of some sort (may have been bikes nto music) and was walking along and saw a mate of his so wandered over only to find the mate was with a friend of HIS; one Gary Moore. My brother was a huge fan and, being a bit awestruck and trying to be cool at teh same time, said to Moore 'hey man. Nice to meet you. I've been a fan for ywars'.

Moore responds 'Hey man. I don't like to talk about my music' to whcih the mutual friend says 'Oi. Stop being a c*** and talk to the guy. He's been paying your wages for decades'. So he did. Which was nice.....

So is this thread about Mani joining now ?
or a thread about not being about people being on this forum, which were not allowed to notice or comment on?
Or is this thread about people who play bass being on here, of whom we are aware of but not allowed to acknowledge because were all cool musicians ?
Or is this a thread about where did Bilbo's carrots go ?

At the end of the day we all play Bass & were here to trade info, Buy/sell Basses, Say Nee Noor, chat & have a giggle. i personally don't care who people are, as long at they are nice & bring something good to the community they are welcome in my little world.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330522941' post='1558779']
Moore responds 'Hey man. I don't like to talk about my music' to whcih the mutual friend says 'Oi. Stop being a c*** and talk to the guy. He's been paying your wages for decades'. So he did. Which was nice.....

[/quote]

He shouldn't have needed to be reminded, but it was nice of him anyway.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330521310' post='1558736']
It's funny how we treat successful people in this country. Love and rooting for the underdog quickly turns to petty hatred when they hit the big time. [/quote]

Indeed. And also when they are on the down-slope.

Many years ago, I worked in London's glamorous West End. One day I accompanied a football-fanatic colleague to lunch in a recently opened bar. As we took our seats, my colleague's face suddenly and violently expanded, much as a balloon does when it is inflated.

For stood behind the bar in a relaxed, proprietorial pose was the late Mr George Best. My friend practically poo-ed himself with excitement, charged over and shook Mr Best's hand, fulsome congratulations, oleaginous praise, etc., etc.

Our lunch arrived, my chum burbled endlessly about 'Besty' and his sporting triumphs and all was well until the bill arrived.

"[i]Six quid[/i] for a tuna sandwich!?!" cried my friend (it was the 1980's). "That cheeky c**t's just trading off his name."

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1330523081' post='1558783']
Or is this a thread about where did Bilbo's carrots go ?[/quote]

Clue: Look closely at my avatar ;)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar