Why become a member? ×

Contempt for your audience.

arthurhenry

My experience as a relatively music-savvy member of the audience is that most punters have no musical knowledge whatsoever, and will only respond to songs they know and/or songs that are meaningful to them, such as their fave tunes from when they were teenagers, or university students, etc.
That's the reason why some cover bands playing in certain venues choose - or are required to - stick to a decade or musical era (70s, 80s, Motown, etc.) and depart from it only to play very well known classics: they need to adjust to the age group of the majority of the customers in the pub or bar, and/or to the image of the pub or bar itself.

Obviously, trendy places frequented by teenage and early 20somethings will require trendy bands to play for them.

If you play in a cover band as your daily job, you will have your share of annoying "customers" just like any other employee dealing with the public - shop assistants, call centre operators, you name it. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329828880' post='1547962']
There are millions of musicians who can play Beatles (for instance) songs, but it took the Beatles to write them. To me, that's the important bit.
[/quote]

True, but you'll wait a long time to see the Beatles. Meanwhile, there are thousands of pubs and clubs that simply wish you to entertain their punters for a couple of hours and are prepared to pay you for doing so. If the venue, audience and band are happy what's the problem?

Currently I play in two bands - one originals and one covers. They are different bands because of the people in them, not because of who wrote the material we play. If i stopped enjoying EITHER of them I would quit.

I really don't understand the rather elitist attitude that some people have about playing covers. There is so much music around that it CAN be all things to all people, and what is an original tune anyway? A hotch-potch of ideas that have already been used and the same notes and chords but in a different order!

If you think your music is [i]truly[/i] original, then either you haven't listened to enough covers or you are Jimi Hendrix. :D

If it makes you happy, do it. If not - stop. It's really not that complicated. :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1329830574' post='1548004']
...cover bands playing in certain venues choose - or are required to - stick to a decade or musical era (70s, 80s, Motown, etc.) and depart from it only to play very well known classics: they need to adjust to the age group of the majority of the customers in the pub or bar, and/or to the image of the pub or bar itself...
[/quote]

Tru dat. The covers band I'm in feature mainly Stax-type songs from the 60s/70s. And as we only do private corporate gigs in salubrious venues we have to look presentable... and the booze is always free, so our 'customers' do get quite hammered - but surprisingly perhaps, are generally well behaved.

Edited by discreet

I suppose the most celebrated instance of audience contempt was the occasion when Mr Roger Waters (he alleges) spat on a fan for cheering during a quiet song.

As every schoolboy knows, this event propelled Mr Waters into writing The Wall, possibly the most wrist-slashing rock album ever. A lesson for us all, I think.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329831336' post='1548027']
Tru dat. The covers band I'm in feature mainly Stax-type songs from the 60s/70s.
[/quote]

We try to fit our sets to the venue or occasion. We can get invited to play a Mod meets quite often and we can play more unknown Northern Soul and Stax songs (even Ska) that we couldn't get away with in a pub. For weddings we play the same songs that The Commitments covered and for pub/clubs we will throw in some to date chart acts like Ce Lo Green, Maverick Sabre, Duffy, Amy Winehouse etc etc.. We played a Rosetta Hightower song at a Mod gig last November which went down a storm then fell on it's ass at a workmans club gig the following week. For this style of music it's a very fine balancing act to play songs that folks will recognise and enjoy.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329832174' post='1548051']
Dream Theater are my favourite band and Dave Ellefson is my favourite bassist :D
[/quote]

Ooo... I sense a separate "fave hard rock/heavy metal bassist and band" thread coming!

Off to check out and like your band on FB :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1329830904' post='1548018']

True, but you'll wait a long time to see the Beatles. Meanwhile, there are thousands of pubs and clubs that simply wish you to entertain their punters for a couple of hours and are prepared to pay you for doing so. If the venue, audience and band are happy what's the problem?

Currently I play in two bands - one originals and one covers. They are different bands because of the people in them, not because of who wrote the material we play. If i stopped enjoying EITHER of them I would quit.

I really don't understand the rather elitist attitude that some people have about playing covers. There is so much music around that it CAN be all things to all people, and what is an original tune anyway? A hotch-potch of ideas that have already been used and the same notes and chords but in a different order!

If you think your music is [i]truly[/i] original, then either you haven't listened to enough covers or you are Jimi Hendrix. :D

If it makes you happy, do it. If not - stop. It's really not that complicated. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I believe we had this conversation last time.

"If the venue, audience and band are happy what's the problem?". If that's the case, then no problem. However I wouldn't be happy, therefore there's a problem for me.

"If it makes you happy, do it. If not - stop". But that was my point. Bar my first 2 gigs 30 years ago I never really started playing covers in the first place because I (wasn't commenting on your or anyone else's preferences, which you seem to have missed) don't enjoy it. So what's your point?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1329832680' post='1548065']
The word I would use is frustration rather than contempt. Especially if you're playing your socks off and hardly anyone is paying attention. I don't have contempt at the audience for that, but it's frustrating nonetheless.
[/quote]

That I do understand. Many people are completely unappreciative of the effort it takes to get up on stage with a band and try to entertain.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1329832967' post='1548077']
That I do understand. Many people are completely unappreciative of the effort it takes to get up on stage with a band and try to entertain.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's weird though how the same set, same effort, same performance gets such wildly differing responses. Just part and parcel of the deal I guess ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1329833508' post='1548091']
A cover band will play what they think the audience wants to hear. A good cover band will play what the audience wants to hear.
[/quote]
and how do you decipher one collection of people from the next to make them happy?

I've seen the dance floor full to" Don't **** bel$~%&*ing", and another club specifically request that we don't play it because everyone there was sick of it! I've seen Great grandmothers request Pink Floyd's Comfortable numb and a biker crowd cheering after a Lady Ga Ga song.

No one can claim to have the perfect set of songs. If you get an average of 80% where the crowd are whooping and 20% just clapping, pat yourself on the back.

Iv'e been doing covers to bingo audiences, pubs and functions for 31 years. I've seen it all and there is no magic formula with mixed covers.

Edited by leftyhook

A cover band will play what they think the audience wants to hear. A good cover band will play what the audience wants to hear.
[/quote]

I prefer cover bands that play songs that I want to hear. It's rare. Though hearing an unexpected gem is what going to see a cover band is all about for me. They're usually songs that the audience go "huh? :blink:" to.

After that I prefer cover bands that play songs they want to play.

Don't get me wrong, I respect bands and players that look like they're getting off on playing some of the crap that goes down well with most audiences. But I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw 'em... :lol:

[/quote]
[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1329844034' post='1548386']
and how do you decipher one collection of people from the next to make them happy?

I've seen the dance floor full to" Don't **** bel$~%&*ing", and another club specifically request that we don't play it because everyone there was sick of it! I've seen Great grandmothers request Pink Floyd's Comfortable numb and a biker crowd cheering after a Lady Ga Ga song.

No one can claim to have the perfect set of songs. If you get an average of 80% where the crowd are whooping and 20% just clapping, pat yourself on the back.

Iv'e been doing covers to bingo audiences, pubs and functions for 31 years. I've seen it all and there is no magic formula with mixed covers.
[/quote]
[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1329846366' post='1548455']
I prefer cover bands that play songs that I want to hear. It's rare. Though hearing an unexpected gem is what going to see a cover band is all about for me. They're usually songs that the audience go "huh? :blink:" to.

After that I prefer cover bands that play songs they want to play.

Don't get me wrong, I respect bands and players that look like they're getting off on playing some of the crap that goes down well with most audiences. But I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw 'em... :lol:
[/quote]
I always think that the ideal approach is to play a set that the band like and that will attract an audience that have broadly similar tastes to the band

Obviously you cannot be too obscure and the odd compromise has to be made, but if you can get it right then you will get a following of people who specifically come to see you rather than just playing to the people who happen to be in the pub / venue on a particular night! These people will notice that you are still playing music that they like but is a bit different from the same old tired set list of songs that they used to love but can hear any other band play every other week until they start to get sick of them...........

I must admit, it can be teeth grating. My band do something quite different (round here) which really goes down well. 'Rocked up' Bonnie Tyler, spice girls, Gina g, Whigfield, girls aloud, frankie goes to Hollywood, shampoo, Jessie J, Katy Perry etc etc. All a bit different and a lot of fun.

But you still get the glassy eyed vanilla masses trooping up with a sour face demanding 'oasis' 'snow patrol' 'kings of Leon' and then tutting as I explain that if they want that then just about every other band in town is doing them!!!
It's like they havnt noticed what we're actually doing!! ??
I mean, we even do Rebecca Black rocked up ffs!!

For me..it is simple. If I play the stuff I like, then I probably play it better..in that it will comes across better.
But it is a fine line with what you want to do and getting a pub full to follow it... or rather no problem pleasing a crowd
at all...just getting to them to turn out in the first place.

To that end, we can sell out 3-400 plus tickets but then have a poor rish turnout at the wrong pub in another town. It is a minefield.