Why become a member? ×

21 or 24 frets ???

Chris Horton

Only of interest if you spend a lot of time up the dusty end, soloing and such.

If you spend your time nearer the nut (like me) then it's irrelevant whether a bass has 21 or 24 frets. The number of strings is irrelevant too.

All IMHO of course - others may think differently.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1329504865' post='1543635']
Only of interest if you spend a lot of time up the dusty end, soloing and such.

If you spend your time nearer the nut (like me) then it's irrelevant whether a bass has 21 or 24 frets. The number of strings is irrelevant too.

All IMHO of course - others may think differently.
[/quote]

Thats cool , thanks for the reply.
Do you think that the string length makes a difference to tone ??

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1329505749' post='1543652']
Do you think that the string length makes a difference to tone ??
[/quote]

Definitely.

A shortscale bass (30" usually) sounds very noticeably different from a longscale (34").

On a 5-string, I am very partial to a 35" scale and wish there were more of them out there. I find that a 35" B-string often sounds tighter and less flubawub than a 34" one.

Obviously it depends on your string choice too and - as Bubinga says - on lots of variables.

To quote a particularly dull argument, Jaco managed to create beautiful solos on a '21 fret' jazz bass. That said, there are a few things I can think of when I would like 24, and this is my preference. Mind you, I can make do with 23 frets like my Kubicki Ex Factor had, namely because most of the stuff I was doing on the upper most frets was stuff Stu Hamm had done on Kubicki Ex Factors before me!

I must buy another Kubicki...

My Status basses are 35" scale length 24 frets, the longer scale helps the low B to be a bit more focussed and have the same tone as the other strings rather than an indistinct rumble. Which means I can use it a bit more without sounding like the bottom has fallen out of the song.

My Fenders are 20 fret 34" scale length.

I'm starting to venture up to the dusty end of the neck after 20 years of grooving at the business end, the only problem I'm finding switching between 20 / 24 frets is that I sometimes jump to the wrong fret because I seem to take the end of the neck as a visual reference.

Some people say you get a better slap tone with fewer frets but I can't say that's ever been an issue for me.

Edited by Fat Rich

if you slap a lot, then it will affect the position of the slapping hand relative to the body of the bass, and your body. this may or may not be a bad thing for you.
also the slap sound is a little different on the 24th fret IMO/IME because you're slapping over the octave harmonic which is more likely to introduce unwanted overtones that when slapping on the 21st fret.

the other thing is whether there is suitable access to the top frets, no point having them if you can't access them properly.

most importantly, 24 frets look better :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329525407' post='1543987']
What [b]is[/b] nice about having 24 frets is that you're left with a sensible space to play in without having to struggle.
[/quote]

That was my initial thought, those basses designed with 24 frets tend to have a smaller body/more pronounced cut away, so anything beyond the octave is more comfortable to play. I have 2 basses and had to take a look at the fretless to remind myself how many frets it has - 24.