Why become a member? ×

I went to school with him . . .

Paul_C

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1329419131' post='1542293']
I have no such claims to fame.

My Dad, however, went to school with
Anthony Stewart Head
His Brother, one Murray Head (for those of you that remember him!)
And some complete unknown called Brian May.....

All different years in Grammar school, mind.
[/quote]

I didn't realise they were brothers. Of course as soon as someone points it out they do look very alike.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329400153' post='1541856']
From the age of 4 until I was 8 one of my best friends was a chap called Nick Hallam, now better known as DJ The Head from Stereo MCs. Unfortunately because of when our birthdays were we ended up in different years at junior school (he was in the same year as fellow Stereo MC Rob Birch) and drifted apart like you do at that age.

Other musicians that I was at school with included Bruce Wooley who wrote "Video Killed The Radio Star". Also the bassist from the Sundays was in the year below me.
[/quote]

Then you moved to notts and it went down hill???

My guitar teacher at school was in a band called Blue Train who had a single in the US that featured on baywatch. [url="http://www.blue-train.net/photos.html"]http://www.blue-train.net/photos.html[/url]

[quote name='Quest_bikerider' timestamp='1329420171' post='1542310']
I went to school with Zak Starkey Ringo Stars Son currently playing with The Who, he was a year below me at school but I saw him play drums many times in the local pub The Cannon near Ascot. I didnt play bass then but if I did 'Who' knows.
[/quote]
Do you know Dylan How(e) then?

Dan

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1329419131' post='1542293']
I have no such claims to fame.

My Dad, however, went to school with
Anthony Stewart Head
His Brother, one Murray Head (for those of you that remember him!)
And some complete unknown called Brian May.....

All different years in Grammar school, mind.
[/quote]
So I could have crossed your Dad's path, then, depending on year ('61 to '67, 'Pigeon' House...)..?

I went to school with Paul Dalglish (Kenny's son), Simon Kendall (Howard's) son and a fella called Bailey. Can't remember his first name, but I keep seeing him on Eggheads / Only Connect / Mastermind etc. Very cool dude. (still) Looks like one of them off the 80's Tefal adverts, I keep searching for him on facebook. Oh, and Ben Kay, who won the Rugby World Cup. I'm sure there's more tenuous claims to fame in this, but I'm struggling...

And about 5000 others who are just as brilliantly anonymous as me.

the band I was in taught Gomez everything there is to know about being in a band though. Not from our school, but they used to come and watch us. Taught them everything. Even how to stand up etc etc, they came flatpacked.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1329428454' post='1542489']
Then you moved to notts and it went down hill???
[/quote]

Actually no... apart from a year in Swansea I've lived within 30 miles of Nottingham all my life.

And for all their "street-cred" posturing, Stereo MCs are actually posh boys from Ruddington.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329436341' post='1542630']
Actually no... apart from a year in Swansea I've lived within 30 miles of Nottingham all my life.

And for all their "street-cred" posturing, Stereo MCs are actually posh boys from Ruddington.
[/quote]

Yes, Ruddo. Very posh. Posh end of the poshest (and once largest in Europe) housing estate in Nottingham. :) Though, in reality, much more posh than some of the "posh" ends.

Didn't him in Stereo MC's have something to do with the flat over the Midland / HSBC (which is now gone)?

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1329403170' post='1541930']
Former pupils at my school included Andy Fraser, Glen Matlock and Mikey 'Culture Club' Craig. Also former Brentford manager and professional swearer Wally Downes.
[/quote]

You must have gone to the same school (well, now part of a hospital) as me, Mike Craig was in my Technical Drawing class. There were others too, Glyn Leach was on bass on an album, Ian Mercer played bass on a professional album for a hit making singer - I'll think of her name in a minute....

And there's you and I! Clearly green blazers made good bass players.

Edited by 4 Strings

I'm too modest to 'name drop' on here, but you've forced me into it: Sammy Davis JR was in my woodwork class, Dante Alighiere was in my french group (for some strange reason), and H from Steps ran the ice cream van that sold confectionary and 'single' cigarettes to 5th formers at lunch break. Also we had some fellows in assembly once showing us all how to do tricks with yoyo's, can't remember their names though.

Top that then!

Sarah Harding, blonde one from Girls Aloud, went to my secondary school. Few years older than me so never got the chance to speak to her. Thats the biggest name we've got round my end of Stockport.

Slightly off topic, but big Chris Samba lives literally one minutes walk away from me - right next to my old primary school! Why on earth he lives here I will never know.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1329437947' post='1542650']
You must have gone to the same school (well, now part of a hospital) as me, Mike Craig was in my Technical Drawing class. There were others too, Glyn Leach was on bass on an album, Ian Mercer played bass on a professional album for a hit making singer - I'll think of her name in a minute....

And there's you and I! Clearly green blazers made good bass players.
[/quote]

Small world. I had to stuff that bloody green blazer in my Adidas bag for the first couple of years. It definitely wasn't the thing to wear on White City Estate!

I went to scholl with ian Waller, co-founder of WAL basses. Played the first bass he ever made, a beautiful P-Bass copy. He was bass player in Herman's Hermits at the time but got "replaced" when they got their record contract as he was a real fatty in those days.