Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Vs Fender

snazz

I am curious as to what people think about a Sandberg California TM4 Vs a Fender Jazz Deluxe. With the rose wood neck and block pearl inlays. The Sandberg seems really nice and the Jazz Deluxe's just hold their prices too much for my liking. I don't know if people get what they ask for, but used and new USA Jazz's seem almost the same in price.

Anyone had the money to own both who could really say how good or bad Sanberg's are?

I haven't tried that model of Sandberg, but my current bass is the Sandberg California TT Umbo with haussel pick ups, and I A B'd it with an American Jazz at Pmt in Bristol and the Build quality, sound and feel was leagues better with the Sanberg. But I would say that it's a very personal thing and I'm sure a Fender fan will soon come along and say the opposite. Sandberg = German hand built, absolute quality craftsmanship and parts.

Edited by CyberBass
  • Like 1

IMO the overall build quality and feel is much better with a Sandberg. I owned a USA Jazz for 13 years and it was my go-to bass despite others coming and going. I bought a Sandberg Basic on a whim last year, and was blown away! It made my trusty old Jazz feel like an awkward piece of crap, and I have since sold it and my other main basses and replaced them with Sandbergs. Although all mine are Basics, but I did own a California VM for a while and have played TMs too.

They do sound a bit more modern, but you have a great (Glockenklang) eq, true passive bypass, coil split (on the TM), and I think passive tone control. I think they sound very natural and transparent, but with plenty of balls and output. They are hand crafted, and I think it really shows in the neck; they feel awesome, SOOO easy to play, and readily take a very good setup. It's easy to achieve a very low action if that's what you like.

They are such good value on the used market too! Don't know why they don't hold their value better, but it's great for the used buyer!

• Like 1

[quote name='margusalviste' timestamp='1329081770' post='1537020']
Well, I have had 3 Sadowskys and I can easily compare them with Sandbergs. They are a bit different though but the quality is there.
[/quote]

I have a Sadowsky Metro and nearly went with a Sandberg JM4. Build quality seemed about the same, as in very high. I just preferred the modern 'snap' of the Sadowsky sound, but it was very close. The Sandberg I tried sounded pretty vintage to me, though it was one of the 'hardcore relic masterpieces', so may differ from the non-relic models.

Have owned both and much prefered the Sandberg. Build quality is fantastic, (as you would expect from a German company). Fender have had some QC issues in the past. The neck on the Sandberg is fantastic, (but not as nice as Marleaux IMHO), and you get a lot more bang for your bucks. At the end of the day the Jazz hasn't changed in the last 50+ years, whereas the Sandberg is very much a modern take on it.
BUT one man's meat as they say.....

This may not be much use as I've not owned a Sandberg but I do have a Fender deluxe 5 (latest model). I suspect the QC of Sandberg is much better than Fender so if buying a Fender it's often a case of trying as many as you can as no 2 are likely to be the same. I'd always stayed away from Fender for just that reason as I had never come across one I couldn't find fault with in the shop but the Deluxe5 I picked up felt just right to me and I loved the simplicity and recognizability of the sounds it made. I have the natural finish with maple neck which just blew me away, so in part the looks also decided it for me (yep I'm that shallow) but the final nail in my wallets coffin was the fact that it is noiseless. As far as the preamp is concerned, I think the latest version (now 3 band) is actually rather good - it provides useful boost in key areas without colouring the sound unduly and includes an option to switch to passive. As many have commented in other threads there are a huge number of manufacturers making Jazz bass clones that are likely to be consistently better made but if you can find a good one the latest Fender deluxe is a pretty decent instrument.

Edited by MartyBRebelMC

• 12 years later...

Fender if you need that aesthetic for a band - the deluxes are great. Sandbergs are better thought out instruments that are superior in quality, nicer to play and more useful tools for the job. Imho.

Great music can be played on either of course!

I have a USA Jazz deluxe 5 and have played a couple of Sandbergs. Tbh, I haven’t seen a quality issue with the Jazz, definitely nothing that stands out as an issue compared to Sandberg. I have also played a Mike Lull and a Sadowski, and again, can’t see much of a difference with my Jazz. 

However… the deluxe preamp could have been better. I swapped mine out for a John East Retro and suddenly the bass came to life. I am sure I could do the same with the pickups but there isn’t really a need. 

The Sandberg I have played has a Darkglass pre in it. It is great, but I think there is more control with the John East. 

Swings and roundabouts I guess. I wouldn’t be put off by perceived quality control, until you see one and play one and hear one, it’s just someone else’s opinion. 

• Like 1

They're both decent basses, but you need to try them really to see what works best for you.

I've been playing Sandbergs around 13-14 years now. I've had 9 of them altogether I think (or maybe 10 🤔), various different models, 4 custom orders.

Prior to that, my number one was a '97 USA standard jazz I bought brand new and swore I'd never part with. Well, my first Sandberg ruined it completely! My trusty jazz just felt cumbersome and awkward to play by comparison. So I sold it not long after, to buy another Sandberg.

And that's the thing for me with Sandberg, there's just something about the feel and playability that's better than anything else I've played over the years, even far more expensive basses.

I'm not a huge fan of the Delano style pickups, my current bass is a TT5 passive, with Sandberg Alnico V pickups, and it sounds sublime. But pickups can be changed easily. That's why I always prioritise feel above all else.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Delano style pickups, my current bass is a TT5 passive, with Sandberg Alnico V pickups, and it sounds sublime. But pickups can be changed easily. That's why I always prioritise feel above all else.

Thanks fella, yep I know I loved the feel of my old Cali 5 (even though I thought the B string could be tighter it was still better than the fender 5p I have) But the whole feel was superb, albeit heavy. The resale on them was pretty awful which is something to consider for me as I GAS a lot. :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jamison said:

Yeah some of them can be a little heavy, especially the ash models. The ones I ordered to spec, I asked for a lightweight slab for the body. I upgraded to swamp ash on the Classic Booster 5 I had, and that was the lightest, it came in about 3.7Kg. My current TT5 Passive is pretty light, and that's alder, but I did specifically ask for a light piece.

If you've bought new, resale value isn't great, especially on the non-fender models. I sold my Classic Booster for almost half of the new list price. Really wish I'd kept that one, it was incredible

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 23:10, Bassmonkey2510 said:

However… the deluxe preamp could have been better. I swapped mine out for a John East Retro and suddenly the bass came to life. I am sure I could do the same with the pickups but there isn’t really a need. 

I've owned a recent deluxe Fender Jazz and own an Elite Precision and you're right, the preamp in the deluxes, Elites are ok but the John East preamps are significantly better, as they have a parametric mid control which allows you to boost specific frequencies, while the Fender Preamp doesn't.

18 minutes ago, gjones said:

I've owned a recent deluxe Fender Jazz and own an Elite Precision and you're right, the preamp in the deluxes, Elites are ok but the John East preamps are significantly better, as they have a parametric mid control which allows you to boost specific frequencies, while the Fender Preamp doesn't.

I am more passive nowadays.. everything passive.. many preamp pedals and some nice heads, I find onboard preamps to be all set to neutral for my tastes, however my fishman fluence on my spector euro LT sound amazing..