Why become a member? ×

Bergantino Cabs etc

Leighton Allen

Hi guys!

Im just putting out a feeler really to hear different peoples opinions on Bergantino cabs. I got a ht112 from bass direct last year and spent 600 on the cab tried it in the shop and really enjoyed the tone. Took it to a small jazz gig that evening with my mark bass lm3 and from the first note put me off for the whole gig. Even the guys in the band commented on the sound being weak, no balls, etc The next day i spent some time sitting down with it and experimenting with the eq on the head and manage to find something i liked, i took it out again and bang it sounded like i was playing through a small portable hi fi system.

It went back to the shop and BACK out came my trusty Aguilar gs112. I have noticed bass direct have had so many berg cabs for sale in the second hand section so I'm sure there have been many people disappointed once they got the cab on a gig,

So i wanna hear your stories with these cabs good, bad or whatever.

cheers Leight

Well, they are stellar cabinets especially considering the attention to detail and the designer being a complete pro at this, but, if the tone doesn't suit you or what you like, then maybe that series of Bergantino cabinets, or just Bergantino cabinets themselves, aren't for you.

I have seen another chap on here buy a set of AE112s and go back to his Aguilar GS112s. Its all down to taste I guess.

Personally I'm hoping he makes another neo line, as I can't see myself looking into the latest HD line.

I love mine too.

I think the reason they have so many in the sale section is them moving on some older stock for newer Berg cabs.

I can only see 2 cabs in the second hand section also? or do they have more in the store?

Edited by butlerk02

[quote name='Leighton Allen' timestamp='1328611088' post='1529806']
....I have noticed bass direct have had so many berg cabs for sale in the second hand section so I'm sure there have been many people disappointed once they got the cab on a gig....
[/quote]

I don't think that there are many Bergantino owners who are disappointed with their cabs. You are the first person I've seen since Mark started importing them, about 5 years ago, that's expressed concerns about their tone. You very rarely see them up for sale and they sell quickly, inspite of their price.

Have you the HT112 or the HT112ER? The HT112 is a slightly smaller cab which gives it a little less bottom end. The EQ of the LM2 worked perfectly for me with my AE112 and I didn't use the pre shapes. Bergantino cabs are tighter and punchier in the low end and the Aguilar has a much bigger, pillowy bass. They are different types of sound.

I went from GS112's to AE112's and there is less woofy bass but more clean bass. No cab is ideal for everyone and if Aguilar is your sound then that's what you should buy.

[quote name='Leighton Allen' timestamp='1328611088' post='1529806']
Hi guys!

.... Even the guys in the band commented on the sound being weak, no balls, etc The next day i spent some time sitting down with it and experimenting with the eq on the head and manage to find something i liked, i took it out again and bang it sounded like i was playing through a small portable hi fi system.
[/quote]

....This happened to me too!

I bought 2 AE112's from Mark, after trying against my trusted Peavey T-Max/Trace cabs rig.... In isolation, they sounded much more defined & tonally rich...
[i](also bought a 2nd hand Genz Benz neo-pak head)[/i]

The reality of working the cabs live, with a full band sound, failed miserably for me![i] (although a sound engineer at Butlins liked them so much he wanted to mic them rather than DI) [/i] ...I just found them weak & too Hi-Fi.

I eventually replaced the Bergs with Aguilar GS112's & they instantly worked for me.

[i]"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have seen another chap on here buy a set of AE112s and go back to his Aguilar GS112s. Its all down to taste I guess." [/font][/color][/i]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You may be talking about me here, Musicman20![/font][/color]

Tried them out as potential replacements for my Aggy GS112s and instantly found they didn't improve on the sound I loved from my GS112s...

Real shame, because they are so well put together I really wanted them to be great. Unfortunately just weren't for me. Sounds like the same thing happened for you!

I orIginally went to Bass Direct with the intention of purchasing a pair of Berg 112's but took Mark's advice to go for the AE410 instead. I'm glad I did as it works well with my MoMark for the rock covers band that I'm in. I think all of the Bergs are top quality gear, however I guess it's also down to personal preference and perhaps hitting lucky with matching it to your amp, bass and playing style.

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1328619276' post='1530029']
....This happened to me too!

I bought 2 AE112's from Mark, after trying against my trusted Peavey T-Max/Trace cabs rig.... In isolation, they sounded much more defined & tonally rich...
[i](also bought a 2nd hand Genz Benz neo-pak head)[/i]

The reality of working the cabs live, with a full band sound, failed miserably for me![i] (although a sound engineer at Butlins liked them so much he wanted to mic them rather than DI) [/i] ...I just found them weak & too Hi-Fi.

I eventually replaced the Bergs with Aguilar GS112's & they instantly worked for me.

[i]"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have seen another chap on here buy a set of AE112s and go back to his Aguilar GS112s. Its all down to taste I guess." [/font][/color][/i]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You may be talking about me here, Musicman20![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hahah, I remember PM'ing you about this!

Hi,

I'm sure it's a taste thing. I used to have a 4x10 cab which was a bit much for what I was doing. Whilst at BassDirect, I tried various cabinets, including the then very trendy tc cabs (and head). On recommendation of Mark at BD - and my ears - I got a HT112ER and an EX112ER (same as HT but wihout tweeter.. I should've got both of them with tweeters in hindsight but anyway..)
.. and I was well pleased with the sound. I really wasn't a fan of the AE line.. shame as they're lighter!

With my LMII they do sound incredibly clear and "transparent" to my mind, allowing all the character of whatever I'm putting through it to come through.. (a Jazz, a Ricky or a double bass) . The sound is great with both cabs or just the one (depending on the group I'm playing with and/or gig). Both together definitely gives a very decent amount of thump (very impressive for slap..not that I do much of it :) ). One alone really cuts through for jazz quintet and big band I play in, both electric and particularly DB -all whilst retaining character.

I've only tried Aguilars in Bass Gallery.. but from my recollection, they have a very particular sound (which wasn't to my taste).

[quote name='Leighton Allen' timestamp='1328741055' post='1532122']
Just met up with another pro bass playing friend who has a few berg cabs AE112,HS210 HT112ER!! i took over my ebs pro line 4x10, aguilar 1x12 gs x2 and aguilar th500 amp ebs td650. We compared most of the possibilities as came to this conclusion!!!!

Dave said '' Leight after tonight i will be selling two of my 3 berg cabs, i now totally see where your coming from. i think i just fell into a trap that most bass players fall into.

After playing all the gear tonight i can CLEARLY SAY I THINK BERG CABS ARE THE WORST SOUNDING CABS I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!!!!

NO FREAKIN BALLS AT ALL. WE ARE BASS PLAYERS RIGHT WELL LETS HAVE SOME FREEKIN BASS PLEASE!!!!
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

If they are not for you, they are not for you.
No one has the defintive lines on these sorts of things... it is all a preferene.

I say that as a confirmed Aguilar user atm.
Personally, the GS has too much bass for me and I have to dial in some snap.
The DB is much more harder hitting for my tastes...but I think their product line..tmk..is pretty rounded and they make very good cabs,.

Just met up with another pro bass playing friend who has a few berg cabs AE112,HS210 HT112ER!! i took over my ebs pro line 4x10, aguilar 1x12 gs x2 and aguilar th500 amp ebs td650. We compared most of the possibilities as came to this conclusion!!!!
I think that it also depends on the bass you are plugging into the head too - rehearsed last night using my GB Rumour and Berg 1 x 12 and had to keep backing the bass off the amp and guitar as it was just to damn heavy. Certainly no lack of bottom end in my Berg's.

LM3 and Berg's are a perfect match.

Oh and BTW I sold my Aggie Ag500SC and GS112 to got to this set up and have never regretted it for 1 second but again that is just my preference.

Dave said '' Leight after tonight i will be selling two of my 3 berg cabs, i now totally see where your coming from. i think i just fell into a trap that most bass players fall into.

After playing all the gear tonight i can CLEARLY SAY I THINK BERG CABS ARE THE WORST SOUNDING CABS I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!!!!

NO FREAKIN BALLS AT ALL. WE ARE BASS PLAYERS RIGHT WELL LETS HAVE SOME FREEKIN BASS PLEASE!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Get me a price on the AE112, sh*t cab verdict should be price relative.

This is real interesting reading...it shows that everyone is different...luckily!

any cheap AE210's going :yarr:

Reading the forums, a few years ago Schroeder was all the rage, then Bergantino and now it seems Barefaced is the "in flavour"

All good as it drives the market to deliver new/ improved products!

Keep it coming as I'm bored senseless in work.

MM

No balls?

Really?

My ae410 knocks down walls with my MB sa450 driving it. Gorgeous tone, lovely, complex, and punchy as hell. Very much a product of the bass you plug in to it (it is a rig that doesnt stamp a massive signature eq all over the sound of your bass). If your bass and or playing isnt up to scratch it will become obvious fairly rapidly IME, even in a mix.

In a gig up against a very loud guiatrist and two drummers I had no problem owning my area of the mix, punchy as hell.

So I cant say I have shared the detractors experience at all.

Oh and I freely admit to loving the Barefaced S12T too, if portability is a major concern that is the best sounding easiest to lift cab I have ever experienced, if it were around when I got my ae410 I dont think I'd have the Berg right now.

Funny old world init!

[/quote]

Fortunately, as mentioned, we are all different.

Some of the Berg cabs are literally like a mini-PA. Very revealing tone, but very true source of your amp and bass.

This, for some, is a massive change, and a positive.

Some obviously may not like this, and may prefer the much 'rougher' and rock and roll tone of old designs of cabinet that colour the sound to give you a, for example, Ampeg cabinet tone (the famous 8x10) or even more boutique like the Aguilar GS and DB tone.

For me, I see advantages both ways. I have yet to find a 2x12/1x12 I prefer the tone over compared to the Aguilar DB tone...but I always like to look!

I guess at the end of the day, it's down to the sound you want, no matter how much you may play about with the eq, if the sound is not for you then you move on to something that is. I personally love the berg sound I had with my streamliner, but thats not to say its the sound everyone is after.