Why become a member? ×

Please put me out of my misery!!

basstech

You don't. Not truly anyway.

I get close but using neck pup, slight boost of mids, finger the string over the 12-15th fret gently (so there is no attack over the pickups). This works great for me. Hopefully my description makes sense.

Not sure any effects will do it. I'll move this to Theory & Technique unless someone things of a pedal solution.

Shep

My fretted custom does a fair impression as Nick Smith will testify - it does have a chambered Cherry body though which may make a difference.. where abouts in Herts are you?? If it's not too much bother you could pop round and see for yourself at the weekend..PM me..

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1328046220' post='1521006']
You don't. Not truly anyway.

I get close but using neck pup, slight boost of mids, finger the string over the 12-15th fret gently (so there is no attack over the pickups). This works great for me. Hopefully my description makes sense.

Not sure any effects will do it. I'll move this to Theory & Technique unless someone things of a pedal solution.

Shep
[/quote]
bit of subtle chorus too maybe,.. for that slightly detuned feel :ph34r:

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1328046522' post='1521014']
pair of pliers and marine epoxy?
[/quote]

yep, can't get away from the 'stepped' sound as you slide. Pedals are not going to give you a true fretless slide.

i did the plyers thing too. yanked out the frets having been inspired by the playing of the great, late, Mick Karn. 2 days later I gigged the bass. Never even filled in the holes left by the frets.
Young and full of beans :)
grab a Warwick rockbass fretless. one of the older ones are dirt cheap. not pretty, but a decent fretless sound and play nice.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1328118895' post='1522166']
Get one of these:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks[/media]
[/quote]

That's pretty cool,
Although he could do with another flip switch for intonation.

Garry

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328320873' post='1525632']
yep, can't get away from the 'stepped' sound as you slide. Pedals are not going to give you a true fretless slide.

i did the plyers thing too. yanked out the frets having been inspired by the playing of the great, late, Mick Karn. 2 days later I gigged the bass. Never even filled in the holes left by the frets.
Young and full of beans :)
grab a Warwick rockbass fretless. one of the older ones are dirt cheap. not pretty, but a decent fretless sound and play nice.
[/quote]

Ha, ha, I did the same inspired by Pino Pallidino playing on 'wherever I lay my hat'. Woke up, put radio on, heard Pino do his thing, reached for set of pliers, started yanking at my frets. A few chunks of wood came away with the frets but nothing a well placed bit of sellotape couldn't fix.

But seriously folks...............rotosound tru bass nylon wound strings works for me. Very DB sounding.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1328376658' post='1526221']
More to the point, how do I get a saxophone sound out of my fretless bass...
[/quote]

Interesting.... sax was my first instrument (20 years playing) and often thought about the same thing. Running sax through my pedalboard has gotten me some of the strangest and coolest sounds I've ever heard.

As all of the others have said, you'll never truly emulate a fretless sound on a fretted instrument.

However !

If you use a light plucking hand technique, you can remove a fair bit of the attack from the note. Creep up on the notes rather than attack them.
Couple that with a slow and wide fingering hand vibrato style and you can derive a sound which whilst not quite fretless is at least beginning to use that slightly softer and, dare I say it, more lyrical approach.