Why become a member? ×

Taken ill whilst playing a gig

Floyd Pepper

For the first time ever this evening, I suddenly noticed that I felt really c**p during our first set.
Sweats, feeling faint, etc and I started to mildly panic as to what song we were playing and the fact that I appeared to be heading downhill fast.
The sense of feeling looking out at all these faces whilst realising I was starting to feel really unwell and with very little option to escape was bloody horrible.

Anybody else felt the fear of losing it during a gig due to illness ( not self induced of course).

As it happened, I made it through to the break and then picked up again during the second set only for a singer to do exactly the same. Despite all this, we managed to get a repeat booking so probably worse for us than for the crowd.
Jim

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1327800172' post='1517110']
...sweats, feeling faint and mild panic as to what song we were playing and the fact that I appeared to be heading downhill fast. The sense of looking out at all these faces with very little option to escape was bloody horrible...
[/quote]

I feel like this at every gig! :lol:

Seriously though, bad luck and respect for getting through it.
Hasn't happened to me yet thank God. I can well imagine it's not much fun though.

I developed acute appendicitis during a gig and was rushed to hospital later that night. Gigwise, I made it through to the second set but was in so much pain that i had to get home. I told the band who could see i was in a bit of distress - someone suggested some paracetemol :unsure:. The guys kindly loaded my cab into the back of my car but they didn't put it the right way round. On slamming the boot shut the back window shattered falling inside over the cab :( . I didn't care and drove home and then later to hospital to have the bugger whipped out.

Yes, never unexpectedly though - it's always been down to my stubborn determination not to let people down.

I've popped freshly stitched wounds and bled profusely.

I've done 52 'challenging' straight hours without a break before gigging and have no recollection of how I got home when I've woken up on the floor the following morning.

I've had to get roadies to track down chocolate bars half way through a gig because I've felt myself slipping into hypoglycemia - a side effect I get is lack of muscular control that I can hold off for a little while using willpower (aka being a stubborn b*st*rd) but makes every muscle I have scream.

Fortunately, I don't really do the usual illnesses like colds and so forth so this sort of stuff is pretty rare.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1327803147' post='1517130']
I developed acute appendicitis during a gig and was rushed to hospital later that night. Gigwise, I made it through to the second set but was in so much pain that i had to get home. I told the band who could see i was in a bit of distress - someone suggested some paracetemol :unsure:. The guys kindly loaded my cab into the back of my car but they didn't put it the right way round. On slamming the boot shut the back window shattered falling inside over the cab :( . I didn't care and drove home and then later to hospital to have the bugger whipped out.
[/quote]

Blimey, I'm feeling better already after reading that little lot!

i did play one gig with a bin by the side of the stage to throw up in and at one point thought i'd sharted myself, so somehow had to manage playing and throwing up [i]without[/i] turning my back on the audience in case there was some evidence of my lack of sphincter control seeping through my trousers.

One comical moment was having a nose bleed that just would not stop during an interval at a right proper posh gig. Even though the singers were happy to delay the second half until I was ready, I knew it wouldn't stop so on we went with my nose stuffed with toilet paper. To make matters worse, I already had the most rotten head cold so could barely hear a note I was playing to begin with. Not fun when you're reading charts on the upright.

One not so comical moment was playing the first song of long show, feeling my legs begin to give way and realising I was having a panic attack due to claustrophobia. The gig was in an old German library, were the walls were two feet thick and no way out except through the crowd. It was a low ceiling with loads of pillars that flared out at the top - so when I looked out during the first song I realised I couldn't see the exit and then those ten steps down into the gig felt like a hundred. The panic was all down to 'how can I fix this?' When the singer turned round at the end of the second song to introduce me he saw I was not in a good shape. I told him what was going on and when he said "if you need to, just put your bass down and walk outside" I began to relax a little. Spent the rest of the gig staring at the floor, trying to picture myself onstage at some spacious outdoor gig. Not nice.

I have IBS and often don't feel my best at gigs (I find after a couple of songs I get into the music and can ignore it, it's not usually too bad). There's been one or two though where I've felt awful, only one gig in 10 years where we had to cut the set short though; I was late on stage through being on the toilet and had to cut one song from the end of the set so I didn't soil myself on stage. I spent the whole gig leaning against the wall because I was feeling so faint. It's made even worse by having to use venue toilets which are often awful.

At one gig I was playing I started to get real bad chest pains, and honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack.

So I looked at the set list, and it was 2 songs to go til Pretty Vacant, so thought "If I`ve got to go, going whilst playing that ain`t a bad time".

Pretty Irresponsible more like. Did get it checked out with an ECG, nothing wrong, but it didn`t half hurt at the time.

We did a wedding some years ago. I'd been ill for a couple of days before, seriously unpleasant gastric flu. Any other bog standard gig I'd have pulled out, but someone's wedding.....you have to soldier on don't you?

Apparently it was a great gig. We played well, and the music went down well, but I remember almost nothing. I've never felt so bad in my life, and spent the time before the gig, during the break, and after the gig, cowering in a corner behind the stage with a bucket next to me, out of the sight of the guests.

I can remember staring at the drummer at one point, sweat running down my face, swaying backwards and forwards, and telling him I couldn't go on much longer, but we got through it to the end, that's about all I remember from that night.

Apparently the groom came to the microphone after the set to thank the band, and especially "the bass player who was feeling unwell". I was round the back of the marquee meantime, throwing up.

Top night.

We were playing a wedding in a beautiful estate house venue, toward the end of the first set I started to feel a bit funny in the stomach. I'm rarely ill and don't drink, so I just assumed it was hunger and proceeded to rinse the buffet during break. 5mins to go before we play second set we were in the 'green room' and out of nowhere just chundered....everywah!
Kinda felt better, so started 2nd set, two songs in exactly the same feeling as the green room incident, so just shoved my bass into the singers hand (he's a great all round musician so can feel his way around songs), and just made a beeline for the toilets.
Spend the rest of the set (45mins) it coming out both ends in the very posh toilets, horrendous, then carried on being sick the whole 2 hour drive home in the van into a sizeable bag the venue provided, but nothing left, so was just wretching. Great stomach muscles by the end though. I got paid same fee ;)

What a pleasant thread :D

Si

Happened to me for the first time a few months back.
Got the trotskis 30 mins before gig. Thought I'd be fine. 20 mins into the set my stomach starts churning again.
The pressure built and built, I started to sweat, span a bit, held on for as long as I could before looking at the keyboard player and mouthing for him to cover me as there was no way I was crapping or chundering in front of singers, dancers, and a big audience.
I ran off after a number and went to the lav. The next 2 songs were spent with me...err.. Well you know.
Managed to run back on to finish the set and afterwards picked up from where I left off in the loo.

Nasty. The first time in 22yrs anything like that has happened to me.