Why become a member? ×

So you have to use a Thunderbird or you dont get the job

grimbeaver

Been racking my brain as to where I knew of this band - just worked it out, I used to work with a couple of them in a record promotions/telesales company in the 80's after the band folded. Pretty sure it was Andy who was one of the reps, and it looks like the other guy isn't with them anymore - Knocker. The company was Impulse/Prime-Time.

Hope it goes well for all of you - it was a long time ago but I remember them as really nice guys.

Just seen on the website, Keith Knowles is mentioned as a founder member - that was Knocker, also seem to remember someone with the nickname of Moss - from a TV appearance when he wore Moss Bross emblazoned braces. He later appeared on TOTP with Gary Numan.

Edited by Mykesbass

I saw them back in the day, they supported Judas Priest at Derby Assembly Rooms. I went out and bought their self titled debut album. Good album it was too, still got it.

Only irritating bit was the singer said Thang-you-ta! at the end of every song, hope he don't still do it.

Good band though, well done.

25 years playing bass and I never scored a good original band, I have played in lots of covers bands and some good covers bands at that but when you are 46 you think that your bass playing days are all behind you and your just going to be playing AC/Dc down the local.

Well Just keep on trying and dont stop, I feel like my bass playing days are all in front of me now and am more excited than an 18 year old at his first gig.

Hard Rock Hell Ibiza here I come !!

Best post ever mate. Brilliant to hear you so enthused :)
[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1328106443' post='1521918']
25 years playing bass and I never scored a good original band, I have played in lots of covers bands and some good covers bands at that but when you are 46 you think that your bass playing days are all behind you and your just going to be playing AC/Dc down the local.

Well Just keep on trying and dont stop, I feel like my bass playing days are all in front of me now and am more excited than an 18 year old at his first gig.

Hard Rock Hell Ibiza here I come !!
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha - my guess was that you were going to play Roger Glover in a reformed Deep Purple!
I can't think of anywhere else where the T Bird bass sound was an integral part of the bass tone.(Ok there was 'Sweet's brilliant B side 'Need a lotta lovin' !!)

But having listened to the Marseille clip I would have bought a Ricky 4001, marshall backline and a big plectrum for that gig!

Hope it goes well for you

Old rockers are the best kind!!

What a pain in the backside it is, getting old. I loved the Band back in 'the olden days', and I had heard that Neil was getting it back together but was looking for a Bassist. Of course, my diminishing faculties meant I kept forgetting to post my guess on the thread. :rolleyes:
Congratulations on an excellent gig, mate. I bet you enjoy it! ;)

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1327665820' post='1514971']
I have Just been offered a gig with a band (cant say yet until it is official) and have to play a Gibson Thunderbird, Its a must with no other option.

What Amp and speakers sit best with them?

I have some nice Eden gear but it's not good together.

I have an Orange terror 500 and barefaced 2x12 that rips with an active bass but is a bit mushy with the T bird played fingerstyle

I do like a bright crunchy sound, has anyone got any experience with this IE SVT or the likes, I think 1x115 and 4x10 or maybe a 6x10 is the way to go as the 8x10s are monsters.

Any serious advice gratefully recieved, budget within reason is not an issue
[/quote]

I would expect that a T-bird bass would be really hard work and you'll have to live with it.
I can't say that I would be thrilled at having to work with one..so the gig better pay .. A LOT.
It would have to be a major career move :lol:

Sorry, can't be any more help than that

It's obviously a look thing. Get a T bird, go with whatever amp/cab you fancy carrying, and your tonal variation can go from brick/pick bright and twangy to neck/fingers warm and woolly.

At any decent venue the sound of your cab is irrelevant, It's basically there for on-stage monitoring...The only band members who'll listen to it are you and the drummer, and he'll be listening for the timing, not the tone!. What matters is how your bass sound will be getting to the punters and that will be through 'front of house' so its the feed to the desk you need to worry about...And what the engineer does with it. You CAN nonce about with mics into your cab but it's inviting mediocre sound so you are much better using a good pre-amp or similar and a DI box into the desk to get your tone (you can use headphones to get the tone to your satisfaction out of the pre-amp) and then the fold back monitors coming back from the desk will have your sound. Or if they are very flash, they'll have wireless in-ear monitoring

As regards the stage, It sounds like the band have a major image thing going on so you might as well find out what they want as a good looking back line.... Some big old Ampeg cabs perhaps...You could have them unloaded though...No point in dragging all that iron-ware about....(You could keep all your gear inside the cabs then!)..Quo for instance had walls of AC30's but most of them were empty boxes with just the red neon light working!

If the band are as tasty as you imply, there's no way they are going to have colossal on-stage sound levels...It kills musicianship, And they are going to have an engineer so do what every other bugger does...Use the F.O.H monitor feeds...Maybe just look at buying a decent monitor wedge !

Edited by guildbass

Got to say, that having a look at your gear, I guess they would dictate what you play if image is important.

I think you would have gotten away with it..possibly..if you'd already had a P-bass and Ampeg stack.
But now..?? they get the bill for lumbering you with a Thunderbird and the rest,
I hope they earn very well....