Why become a member? ×

how many basses for studio/live?

Dom in Dorset

We were tidying up recording for my band's demo last night and it occurred to me that I used three basses on four tracks.
Fretless (active 5 string), fretted Jazz and the fretted side of my twin neck (it has my preferred slap tone, I only play anything resembling slap on one number)
These days I tend to just take the Jazz out to gigs unless we have a good long unhurried set with a good sound man.
Is this unusual?

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1326370821' post='1496112']
We were tidying up recording for my band's demo last night and it occurred to me that I used three basses on four tracks.
Fretless (active 5 string), fretted Jazz and the fretted side of my twin neck (it has my preferred slap tone, I only play anything resembling slap on one number)
These days I tend to just take the Jazz out to gigs unless we have a good long unhurried set with a good sound man.
Is this unusual?
[/quote]

Its not unusual la la la la la la la. Couldn't resist it.

I mainly gig one bass at the moment despite having a few to choose from. Really down to being lazy.

Edited by BottomE

I usually find that one of my basses suits a particular project more than the others (usually JM4 with flats for mellower stuff, Stingray with rounds for rocking out!) so will have a good idea before any session/gig which bass I want with me. Always take a spare just in case, but rarely find myself swapping in the studio, and never live.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1326370821' post='1496112']
Is this unusual?
[/quote]

Not really. I guess it depends on what you're doing really but if you're looking for the particular sounds that those basses offer you to suit the recording then anything goes. You might find that the bass you use for gigs also suits the type of sound you would like on your recordings. Conversly, you might prefer to use a cheaper bass live that you can afford to knock about a bit and the bass with your preferred sound is kept at home with the family silver. There are a lot of recordings that use several different bass sounds on one track. One that springs to mind is "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. I don't know if you've seen the video but they play a plethora of guitars on that recording, each with a sound that suits one particular part of the recording.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Live and studio work have totally different demands. On record I would use as many basses as you need to get the sound you want. Many studio subtleties are lost in a live situation and the “performance” is more important so it’s probably better to use fewer instruments on a gig.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]When I record I mostly use the Wal because it has the best recorded sound but on a gig, as I don’t often get FOH support, I just play the Lull. It sounds best in a good, bad or noisy mix. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

In the studio I'll take as many basses as I think I'll need plus a couple more just for luck. I've been known to do different sections of the same song using different basses.

Live in an ideal situation with a nice big stage and an efficient road crew I'd do the same. However in the reality of the small pub and club gigs I'm doing at the moment I'll take the one and a backup if there's room.

I used to take a P-bass and something a bit more boutique so that I had a bit of variety. Since I bought the Lakland 55-02 it does both of those jobs and then some, so I generally only take that with me these days. I typically stick to one tone with one bass for an entire session for consistency and time saving reasons.

The studio can be a playground for experimentation and you can explore lots of tones and sounds with as many basses, amps and effects that you want, but time is money and I am a firm believer that it should be used as sensibly and efficiently as possible (especially when you have to pay for the studio time yourself!)

**edit** (forgot to respond to the second part of the question!)

Live - I normally take two basses. One to use for the gig and one as a back up in case #1 goes pear shaped or goes grossly out of tune by bumping into a band member! It's the condom theory...I would rather have one on me and not use it rather than not having one and need to use it!

Edited by shizznit

Studio - I'll take whatever suits the sound required (P-Bass, Jazz, Hofner "Beatle" bass, Stingray fretted or fretless, Rickenbacker, etc).

Live - I usually take a couple - one for the main body of the work (usually J-Bass or P-Bass) and the second bass as a backup. I've never had a string break on me during a gig, but you never know?

Live, I take 1 fretted (Jazz usually) and 1 Fretless (Jazz) If I break a string I can get by in the whole set on either.

Studio, I usually know what I'm going to a session for and take whats required, if I don't own it I'll hire it. For my home studio I have the entire selection below and this is where I do most recording these days. I prefer people to send me stems and I just overdub and send files back, much easier for all concerned
!

I used to use my fretless Jazz, but have now gone over to using a fretless Maya Pbass as it just has more oomph. That said, their have been recording with both now for the tracks I've been recording over the past few months. The Maya will also get used for gigs - try as I might, the Jazz just sounds too thin and reedy!

I always use my Lakland Darryl Jones 4 live, and exclusively on our new second album. But in the past I've owned a P-Bass, a Jazz, and have used a Hofner Violin '67, a Warwick Corvette, amongst a few others for recording with.

Once I'm in a better financial situation, I'd like another P-Bass for in the studio. A good P is an indispensable studio instrument to have, it beds a track so incredibly well and sounds just great on most recordings. I'd also like a really decent Jazz 5'er for the studio like a Sadowsky.

And finally, if money were no object, I'd buy myself an Ampeg B15 Portaflex! We've got a really good mic cupboard now, and I'd love to hear our Neumann U87 on a B15 with a P-Bass strung with flats. I can dream :( :lol:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1326372875' post='1496168']
Its not unusual la la la la la la la. Couldn't resist it.

I mainly gig one bass at the moment despite having a few to choose from. Really down to being lazy.
[/quote]

This, very much so.
And as for studios, I also use the one in my garage, where all my instruments live, send me your mp3s and I will overdub and send you back a stem to sync back in yourself.
(Although when I do get dragged to a real studio, I take a P-bass, fretted or fretless depending on the job)

for our last CD I took along:
1981 Precision with EMG pickup & D-tuner
2003 Highway 1 Jazz with J-retro
Peavey cheapo 5 string something or other
NS-design CR5M upright
Ashbory 'rubberjohnnie' bass

I used them all except the Peavey as the precison sounded better - I detuned & overdubbed the lower than low E notes that I thought I needed the Peavey for.

Live I'd usually just take one along - mostly my mustang. Any songs where I'd normally use a 5-string or D-tuner I just play that note in the higher octave - no one has complained so far. In case of catastrophic bass failure, for further-away gigs I often bring the ashbory and keep it in the car so at least I can fetch it & make some bassy noise if anything happens to my 'proper' bass.

I built the twin to get around the problems of switching basses mid gig, about a year later I got the Jazz . I feel guilty if I don't regularly use the Jazz, I'll often play it at a gig , come home then play it unplugged for a while , I'm that smitten.
I suspect that my studio set up might slim down over time ,I only used the active 5 fretless because I haven't had it long and wanted to give it an outing.