Why become a member? ×

I'm all in a quandary!

Evil Undead

I'm having trouble deciding between 4 and 5 string basses.

I've always felt more physically comfortable on a 4, but that B comes in really handy on occasion. And it certainly will if I play in a metal band in the future.

But the downside is that the B also gets in the way on the odd song. And I get terribly confused switching between a 4 and a 5 mid-set!

Which do you prefer and why? And does anyone have any advice for me?

It's such a personal choice. Either is fine. I prefer 5 as it helps with sight reading, but you can always play those parts up the octave. However five strings always seems strange at first when you are used to four. For me I'm now most comfortable on my bass (5er).
Use whatever you feel most able to express yourself.

But...
I do think that it helps to stick to one and not keep changing. I really value the consistency on a gig as I find new gear distracting.

Good luck

I have a a couple of 5s but I find myself happier on 4s. If I was playing in a Metal band and needed a low B I'd be looking at how much I needed the G string. A lot of Metal bands I've seen, where the bassist has a 5 string, I'd say 5% or less actually need the G string. Get a 4 and tune it down if you can.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1326228246' post='1494203']

I do think that it helps to stick to one and not keep changing. I really value the consistency on a gig as I find new gear distracting.

[/quote]

Agreed. I find it really hard for fingering to become automatic/unconcious if I change from one t'other.
I think you're setting yourself a real challenge to swop 4 to 5 mid-set.
I can't recall ever recall seeing someone do that. But, whoever watches the bass-player anyway? ;)

Tools for the trade, pick what`s right for what you need, then stick with it. I`ve never needed the lows that a five-string provides, so never really played one - aside from a mates for about 10 mins.

But if you prefer four strings, what about a hipshot extender? You could, by finding the right strings, tune the bass DGCF, then with the hipshot drop the D to a C if needed. It might make learning from tab a bit awkward, but I`ve done it, not too much of a task. Then you`ve got a fairly low four string bass.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1326228648' post='1494218']
Oh also... The string spacing is much narrower on the 5. And, finally, you can rock out better on a 4 :)
[/quote]

Unless, of course, you use something like an Ibanez BTB that has 19mm spacing. :)

I love playing a four string at gigs- though have to use an octave pedal really for songs that normally need a low Eb. However my 5er does the job so tend to use that mostly, just play the 4 to keep me keen and interested.

Dead easy to move from a 4 to a 5, you just have to have a few seconds thinking of hand positions etc - either at the end of the previous song or when the singers talking, you know what I mean.

4 for me. I've had 4's, 5's and 6's, and always move back to a 4. My current gigs only require the odd low D so i've no requirement for a 5.

Horses for courses really, dependant on so many factors as the other posts have said. Have you tried BEAD tuning on a 4?

Good luck in finding your 'bass-self'

G

I know some 4-tringers who get away with it by using an octave pedal, that [i]does[\i] tie you to one particular spot on the stage though.

Mine's a five and I'm very happy with it - it's right for me and what I do, but that might not be right for you.

I've played 5's exclusively for several years, but recently tried out a 4 and am loving it. For some reason, it just feels easier and slicker to navigate. My wife is adamant that I won't manage without a 5, but I'm seriously considering getting another 4 and just downtuning it.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1326227457' post='1494183']
I've always felt more physically comfortable on a 4, but that B comes in really handy on occasion. And it certainly will if I play in a metal band in the future.

[/quote]

It sounds like you have it stuck in your head that to play metal you need access to a B string. You might end up in a traditional thrash band that riffs away happily in E!
If you really do need access to the lower notes, just re-string you 4 as BEAD - or, do as we did in the 90s and just tune down! As long as you've got at least a 110 you'll be ok tuning down to B. It will be floppy and rattly but it can work very well for certain types of metal and can be very brutal.

I've had loads of 4's and 5's and have tried a variety of 6's in shops, I mostly play 5's for the range available and also the comfort, I find 4's tend to teel a bit small in my hand...I do take my EUB to gigs too which is a whole new feel and I do have a lovely '61 p-bass reissue which has a fat neck an dso doesn't feel overly wierd when I need to pull that out...

Whatever's comfortable for you is, in this case, the right answer methinks!

No two pair sof hands are the same, no-one has identical length arms etc etc yadda yadda, we're all built slightly differently. If we were all the same there'd be far fewer neck profiles on offer!

Edited by andydye

I have the same dilemma re 4 or 5 strings. I know that a 5 string can do everything that a 4 string can, and I need the B string for some stuff in the current band, and plying it all on 5 strings saves swapping instruments mid set etc etc. BUT I still love my 4 stringers.

Perhaps I need to get a better 5 stringg!!

I am very happy with 4's but its a very personal choice.

I play stuff that is in Eb and D too and its not a problem - never had anyone say after a gig that it needed a 5'r. I understand that there will be less hand movement on a 5 and for probably 2 songs out of 30 it really helped. It wasn't worth the discomfort though. For me its about playing an instrument that you feel a connection with and i never felt like any of the 5's i had were "proper" basses (Lakland and Fender). They felt/feel a bit freaky and look ugly with that big plank of a neck.

Each to their own.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1326296852' post='1495087']
It sounds like you have it stuck in your head that to play metal you need access to a B string. You might end up in a traditional thrash band that riffs away happily in E!
If you really do need access to the lower notes, just re-string you 4 as BEAD - or, do as we did in the 90s and just tune down! As long as you've got at least a 110 you'll be ok tuning down to B. It will be floppy and rattly but it can work very well for certain types of metal and can be very brutal.
[/quote]

Not so much just for metal, but it's handy in other genres as well. More and more modern rock/alternative bands are tuning lower, plus reggae, funk etc. I guess I've just got it in my head that I'll be limiting myself by sticking to 4's - but my favourite bass is a 4, so that's where the difficulty comes in with making a decision.

My band plays classic rock and punk covers so we're in EADG tuning for all of our songs and I use the G a lot, so BEAD isn't an option. But even with the band in standard I still find the B string really useful on perhaps 3 or 4 songs of our 2 hour set.

I've got Hipshots on more or less everything, and find the low D is as low as I need to go - can't recall ever needing those bottom notes a 5 would offer. I like a slim neck, too, so that rules virtually all 5s out (with the exception of a BB5000 or SR505).

Still YMMV.