Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Roscoe Beck IV in da house!

wateroftyne

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1325869236' post='1489163']
:huh: How does that work then! :D

Did they in fact design this bass specially for you do you think? ;)
[/quote]

It's a compromise to the lack of a blend pot. Apparently switching works better than a blend knob.. or something.

If they'd designed it for me it would have had blocks and a TV logo... not far off, though!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1325869236' post='1489163']
:huh: How does that work then! :D

Did they in fact design this bass specially for you do you think? ;)
[/quote]

A switch, one takes the bridge signal into the pu selector switch, pull up and it takes it through a resistor and into the switch..... just my guess

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325859306' post='1488898']
....clear plastic ramp still in it's packet (what are these for, anyway?).....
[/quote]

A finger ramp I presume? If so, it aids.... well, fingering and hence tone. Apparently. The idea is that you get less digging in of the fingers, as you aren't letting them get down between the strings as much, as the ramp stops how far they go. This is supposed to improve the tone - less attack that quickly decays. Turn the amp up to compensate and you get a note that appears to sustain more. [url="http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html"]Explained here[/url].

I have noticed it's easier to play my new bass with the ramp than without - but everyone's different.

If you're a user of pickup surrounds as thumb anchors, the ramp gives you a really huge choice of area to anchor said digit. I had one of these and the tonal choice from the passive electronics (yes passive) is huge, even before you start moving your hand around.

Right... back from rehearsal.

Amazing. Such a nice weight.. it balances perfectly.. the assymetric neck is SO comfortable. And the range of tones... it does classic Jazz, but the neck pickup solo'd is so big and focused. And then you switch it to series, and.. BAM! All passive, and incredible.

So far, i couldn't be happier. Really. :gas:

As for the ramp.. I'm a 'floater' so I don't really need it. I'll leave it in the packet.