Why become a member? ×

Why Precision?

leftyhook

A simple question that I am sure has many answers/reasons, but if you had to put it into one sentence, what makes it the king of the basses for you?

I am sure that this has been asked (tried a search) but.......Squire Versus Fender....[i]that[/i] much difference?

I have never owned or even tried one (except in a shop playing a R/H upside down) so I want to know how I might be missing out!

As usual, some people like them and some don't.

However, contrary to popular opinion the Precision bass is not a one trick pony and that's why it's been used in countless gigs and countless sessions in countless styles over fifty years. They are highly reliable, don't damage easily, repair easily, and you can pick them up quite cheaply or pay a fortune for one.

Some Squiers are better than some Fenders, the Squier Classic Vibe is excellent, but many Fenders are better than most Squiers. Lakland, Sadowsky and others also make Precisions even if they don't call them such - they are pretty good too.

Try before you buy is good and buy second-hand is also good - but if you're a lefty that may be more difficult.

This is just my opinion, but here goes.

When I was looking to buy my first quality bass, I looked at a few different make and models. I tried the Squiers, the Ibanez, the Fender Mex and US. I found that to my ears there was a certain price point that sounded good.

The Fender Mex and US sounded them same. I could not tell the difference. Only the price tag differed.

The Squier and the Fender sounded very similar, but the Fender had more definition and refinement to its tone.

Then I played the Ibanez, it was lighter than Fender, thinner neck and sounded different. I liked the tone just as much as the Fender, the build looked just as good, and it was less than half the price of the Fender US.

So I think what I am trying to say is that yes Fender basses are good. But for what you pay for them, I do not believe they are any better than othe makes costing less.

As for my Ibanez, I've had it a year now. It plays as good if not better than when it was new, apart from extremely slight intonation adjustment has had no adjustment needed and does what I need of a bass right now. I love it and am so glad I chose it over a Fender.

But............ Fender were the first, they are [b][u]The[/u][/b] rock bass. Would I buy one if I had the money, hell yes.

I won't repeat what's been written already, but I love them.

You can customise and upgrade them easily (just swapping colours of the pickguard can give them a new lease of life). They stay in tune, you can drop them and they survive, they look good shiny and new, or old and battered.

But the main attraction for me is the tone that cuts though. They just have a punch that cuts through the mix. And they're the epitome of rock n' roll.

And when the end of the world comes, the last things to survive will be cockroaches and Fender Precisions.

For years I was a bit dismissive of them but one night I heard an excellent bassist play one through a Gallien Kruger amp at a local venue. He was playing a knackered old USA Precision with a deep, round, defined sound, a stupidly high action and a rusty screw for a strap button and it fitted in perfectly for what the band were doing - which was a blend of classic covers, blues and a bit of funk.
I liked what I heard so much that I swapped my Musicman SUB for a MIJ 57 reissue with a fellow basschatter and have never looked back. It's strangely versatile for a bass with just one pickup, one volume and one tone control.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1324214256' post='1471821']
A simple question that I am sure has many answers/reasons, but if you had to put it into one sentence, what makes it the king of the basses for you?

I am sure that this has been asked (tried a search) but.......Squire Versus Fender....[i]that[/i] much difference?

I have never owned or even tried one (except in a shop playing a R/H upside down) so I want to know how I might be missing out!
[/quote]
+1 on all the above but for me, I bought my Precision in the late eighties when there seemed to be the beginnings of a backlash against all singing, all dancing, multi pickup, multi laminates and multi active tone controls. The limitations of one pickup, one volume and one tone make the player work a bit harder to achieve the sound they want using their choice of strings and (most importantly), their technique. They're not a one trick pony - they've got as many tricks as the player has. Having a Precision has improved my playing although I must admit I ended up adding a Jazz pickup at the bridge when I was really into Jaco harmonics, but I use the P pickup alone 90% of the time.

I think the important point is to address this thread's title which should read: Precision -Why Not? The good old P certainly won't cover every base, but they are few and there are other basses for those moments. For me my Sandberg with its P p/up coupled with an MM is ideal as the MM is there for those moments when some additional bridge like midrange is needed. Of course YMMV.

I've never played another bass that can cut through so well, with such a deep bottom end.

Resisted them for years, but once I turned the corner, suddenly found what all other basses lack.

Solid, simple, but very versatile (soul, jazz, rock, funk...it's all been on a P)...that's why Precision for me.

I was just about to start a slightly different version of this as I feel a Fender P is probably a bit out of my budget. So I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread!

I was looking at Squiers and the Vintage V4 range as a starting point and was after a few comments - particularly on the Vintage basses as they seem to be similarly spec'd but that bit cheaper? There was a white V4 on evilbay getting no love at all that looked in decent condition (apart from a dodgy sticker) - my favourite hue for a P.

For info. I've c. £200 +/- to spend. What are the Squier MIJ basses like?

Cheers

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1324225371' post='1472025']
I was just about to start a slightly different version of this as I feel a Fender P is probably a bit out of my budget. So I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread!

I was looking at Squiers and the Vintage V4 range as a starting point and was after a few comments - particularly on the Vintage basses as they seem to be similarly spec'd but that bit cheaper? There was a white V4 on evilbay getting no love at all that looked in decent condition (apart from a dodgy sticker) - my favourite hue for a P.

Cheers
[/quote]The Vintage basses I've played at bass shows have felt very nice and the one time I played one where I could hear it properly was very satisfactory for the money, definitely a good place to start with potential for hardware upgrades. The vintage vibe Squiers are really good and ripe for hardware upgrading too (as other BCers have done). I'm sure the vintage modified Squiers are good too. You won't go too far wrong with any of these budget Ps.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1324225371' post='1472025']

Cheers
[/quote]

I'm waiting for the delivery of a Babicz bridge which will be going on my Squire VM Jazz. I am hoping it will add a little more distinction to the sound. It is a pretty decent bass that, as ezbass said, is worth buying with a view to upgrading bits (some say they feel the sound is fine with current pick-ups, I'm undecided until installation of the bridge) I've gone back to using my Wal live as the Squire is a bit muddy on the bottom E past the 5th fret.

I can definitely say that mine doesn't feel 'right' with me. I bought it because it was a left handed model in Sounds Live and thought it might grow on me. I will continue to use it as a back up bass, but it isn't 'love'!

The squier, mim, Mia issue can only be answered with the basses to hand and the opinion of the individual player, I've always found jap fenders suit my preference

As for why the P, it's comfortable to play, just hangs right, only volume and tone, so it's nice and simple but offers the spectrum of sounds , like picked punk to Motown

Also think they look subtle and timeless

The Precision is the bass for me, as its tone can be easily shaped to fit in with most styles. Many state it isn`t versatile - well that`s what eq on the amp is for, isn`t it? Twist a few knobs on the amp, and go from warm rounded Motown tones, to cutting punk sounds, to holding the low-end rock rumbling. The Precision as mentioned is hardwearing, sits in the mix well, looks good, and is easy to play. I`ve played many other basses, but the Precision is the best for me.

i agree with Lozz, but for me its mainly because im playing covers and most of those were recorded with a P bass, so although the P bass isnt always my perfect tone, it gets the job done and in the most authentic way i can manage.

For what its worth i dont want to cut through the mix, i want to sit in it and the P does that well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1324289323' post='1472483']
I also love it for its neck, I don't get on with narrow ones and the Precision's just works for me.
[/quote]

I forgot to mention i dont get on with P necks so any P bass i have either comes with or gets a Jazz neck. I can play them ok but i prefer the thinner necks.

Think of the Precision as the Porsche 911 of basses. The 911 is THE iconic sports car. yeah, there are loads of "better" faster, better handling, high-techer cars out there. But the 911 is THE enduring sports car. Get one, you can't go wrong and everyone will nod with approval when they hear you have one.

Fender Precision? In bass terms, it's the same thing. Can't go wrong and most everyone will nod with approval at your proper bass.

[quote name='TonyBones' timestamp='1324222428' post='1471971']
IMO [b]Leo did his homework and got it right first time simple as that[/b]. The only Basses I've ever played that felt like part of me.(if that makes any sense)
[/quote]

I'm a big fan, in fact my "go to" just now is a DiMarzio fuelled P... but I have to say Leo revised his design some years later and came up with the G&L L-1000. It's a killer bass which unfortunately not many people have tried. If they did they'd realise what he was originally trying to achieve with the humble P.

Guest gazzatriumph

I recently bought my 14 year old son a squire affinity bass i own a 2011 MIM fender P, the squire plays well and has a good sound its not as good as the MIM fender P but for the money I think its a good buy, as most people will tell you try before you buy.

Pretty much echoing all the stuff here. At the risk of veering off topic, no one's mention fretless yet: the Precision is the classic fretted bass, but fretless it seems a rarer animal... is the Jazz "the" fretless bass is the way that the P is "the" fretted bass?