Why become a member? ×

Why Precision?

leftyhook

My 70's P is heavy (but I like that), big bodied (but I like that) fat C shaped neck profile (but I like that), strung with flats (yes, you guessed it). Turn on any music show eg. Jools and almost every band will be sporting a P (I guess they have image).

Be careful about spending a shed load on one though. In my experience, there are many cheaper P's (Squiers especially) that may provide the same thing for a lot less cash. Just play loads and buy the one that feels just right.

LC

Wow. Such passion from so many of you. I really wish I could walk into a left handed shop and spend all afternoon trying all the basses in there like many of you can!

When it all comes down, it's down to preference. Having said that, so many positive comments and thousands of recordings can't be wrong.

It seems that the Precision is an instrument without bells and whistles that may hide the true qualities of the player. Yes?!!

I look at my favourite bassist, [b]Pino[/b], and see he plays a Precision these days. Hmmm....food for thought, with a cherry on top!

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1324293046' post='1472543']
Think of the Precision as the Porsche 911 of basses. The 911 is THE iconic sports car. yeah, there are loads of "better" faster, better handling, high-techer cars out there. But the 911 is THE enduring sports car. Get one, you can't go wrong and everyone will nod with approval when they hear you have one.

Fender Precision? In bass terms, it's the same thing. Can't go wrong and most everyone will nod with approval at your proper bass.
[/quote]

being the owner of precisions and a 911, i can confirm that your analogy is spot on and well observed :)

I've always lent slightly more towards Jazz style basses as they offer me a bit more of a 'forward' sound in a band and mix situation, but I love P basses. To me they offer a fundamental low end unmatched by almost any other style of bass I've played. Chunky and big if strung with flats, and a piano-like clarity if you string them with rounds. They've featured on many of the best records of all time and are played by many of my favourite bass players of all time, notably James Jamerson, Pino Palladino, Carol Kaye and Chuck Rainey, as well as countless others.