Why become a member? ×

Which 2x12" cab.....?

mudmover

As with most interests, bass world is full of too many choices.....

So I have a GB Streamliner 600.....I'm looking for lightweight cab and have heard several 12"
cabs so I'm looking at a 2x12....

Here are the choices Ive identified........

GB NeoX 212, best price £700
Bergantino HD212, Best price £850
Barefaced S12 @ £650

All are 4ohm, rated 600W RMS with high sensitivity cones fitted.

My rig will used with 4pc covers band doing pubs/ clubs...Type of music is more rock driven.

What would you advise based on input above?

Being inexperienced another issue is the residual value....I'm a drummer of 20yrs who chopped and changed and finally ended up with a DW kit which is the finest -IMO. So just in case I decide to change which will hold its value best??

MM

I use a Barefaced S12T so will naturally suggest that, it is an astonishingly good cab. I've had three Barefaced cabs in my time and this is the best of a great bunch :)

Of the three I think the BF or Berg will hold its value best probably but I have no practical experience of the Berg or Genz Benz I'm afraid.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]That’s a good short list. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I played the S12T at the bass bash and it was excellent. I have 4 Bergantino AE cabs so I know the HD will be great and the GB cab gets a lot of praise. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You're going to have to play them in order to decide, but if I was buying from scratch right now I’d get the BF S12T. You can send it back if you find you don't like it. [/font][/color][/size]

I'm in the same boat with a new GB Streamliner 600 (ain't they grand?). I have looked extensively at 2x12's and have decided that it's gonna be the S12 early next year. If you look at the drivers used, it's far and away the best value, although I'm sure the others are great cabs too.

Still gonna have a go at buildin' me own first though.....

12's are a bit of a struggle as far as I am concerned...so I'd use 10', but not on that budget.

I would have said Berg's would hold their vlaue..but I think their price is inflated and maybe they haven't done so well in FS latetly..but then, it is a difficult time for selling.

As for cabs..you HAVE to try them.

Problem with trying cabs is that you can't really try them under gig conditions and volumes. I have a Genz NeoX212 and love it to bits, does everything I need it too ! Buy a used cab, let someone else toake the 'hit' and if you come to sell it you'll get your money back

There you go ... £450 you cant go wrong !

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161215-genz-benz-212t-neox-cab-2x12-600w-4ohm-with-wheels-l460/page__p__1464735__hl__genz__fromsearch__1#entry1464735

Edited by Adee

Its great to see such support for a UK manfactured product! Clearly Barefaced seems to be the players choice!

The Berg is really pricing itself out of the market, especially as it dosent have Neo drivers so Ive ruled that out.

Iam going to listen to a Neo 212 as everybody who owns one seems to Rave about it...At £700 all in its all great VFM.

For the the same spec BF S12 you are looking at £750 (and I'm not even sure if that includes the Neo supplement).

To S12 owners, what are the carry handles like...Practical?? They look flimsy.....

Will listen to the Neo X and make choice from there..

MM

You should definitely give them both a listen if you can, and choose with your ears.

But FYI the Barefaced Super 12 spec is not the same as the GB Neo 212. I believe the drivers in the Barefaced are superior 3012 based ones wheras the GB is a 2512 based driver - there's another thread on here about it...
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162366-diy-or-built-given-the-rising-cost-of-neo-drivers/

somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

I have an EBS Neo 2x12 which isn't on your list but might be worth considering. It's the best all-round cab I've ever owned, gives great result with modern Markbass and ancient Burman valve heads. Slight mid-scoop, if you like that sort of thing, can be EQ'd back if you don't. It's also very light (24kg) and easy to carry.

I bought mine second-hand on this forum, and it doesn't seem to have depreciated much since then. If you're anywhere near Ipswich you are welcome to come round and give it a go.

As 51m0n says, there's lots of good options, just find something you like the sound of.

As another very very happy S12T owner, the handles are fine... Why do you want big tonka toy handles on a 20 kg cab with wheels? Having a lightweight cab changes the way you think about moving/lifting stuff completely.. Every guitarist I play with goes green with envy as they're lugging their heavyweight heads and cabs around.. :-)

I don't think the Neox and S12 are directly comparable.. The S12 is smaller, lighter, more efficient and uses better drivers....

That's an illuminating link...
[quote name='mudmover' timestamp='1323856846' post='1467742']
Its great to see such support for a UK manfactured product! Clearly Barefaced seems to be the players choice!

The Berg is really pricing itself out of the market, especially as it dosent have Neo drivers so Ive ruled that out.

Iam going to listen to a Neo 212 as everybody who owns one seems to Rave about it...At £700 all in its all great VFM.

For the the same spec BF S12 you are looking at £750 (and I'm not even sure if that includes the Neo supplement).

To S12 owners, what are the carry handles like...Practical?? They look flimsy.....

Will listen to the Neo X and make choice from there..

MM
[/quote]

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1323865710' post='1467889']
You should definitely give them both a listen if you can, and choose with your ears.

But FYI the Barefaced Super 12 spec is not the same as the GB Neo 212. I believe the drivers in the Barefaced are superior 3012 based ones wheras the GB is a 2512 based driver - there's another thread on here about it...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162366-diy-or-built-given-the-rising-cost-of-neo-drivers/"]http://basschat.co.u...of-neo-drivers/[/url]

somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='mudmover' timestamp='1323965923' post='1469320']
Gotta a feel this might be out of my price range!!!

looks very classy all the same..

MM
[/quote]
Same sort of price range as a BF Super12 + Neo Surcharge + Cover or Berg + Cover.

Roqsolid covers come as standard with the EAD range.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1323963842' post='1469267']
+2 for the EAD Foundation212.
Awesome Cab.
[/quote]

+3 for an EAD.
They aren't cheap but 3 out of 4 cabs you're looking at in your original post cost about the same, as Mr Bunny says.

The EAD Cabs are incredibly well built, I seriously haven't seen anything else that comes close.
The sound reproduction is crystal clear and you can tailor it thanks to the custom crossover.
As soon as I've got room for one, and the cash I'll be a very proud owner of an EAD Cab (or two).
Can't recommend them enough.

Eude

Two things I'd add - if you're playing in a rock band, do you need a tweeter for your tone? Possibly not... And if you're playing in a rock band you need a cab that can make full use of your amp's 600W output. The S12 can, whilst some of the other cabs being discussed can't - despite their higher prices they use inferior woofers which can't move as much air. Doesn't matter if you're in a quieter band but it sounds like you're not!

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1323975438' post='1469477']
Two things I'd add - if you're playing in a rock band, do you need a tweeter for your tone? Possibly not... And if you're playing in a rock band you need a cab that can make full use of your amp's 600W output. The S12 can, whilst some of the other cabs being discussed can't - despite their higher prices they use inferior woofers which can't move as much air. Doesn't matter if you're in a quieter band but it sounds like you're not!
[/quote]
And suddenly you are not in a Rock Band and do need the tweeter. Let's junk the cab and buy something else.

OK so what is the total cost of the S12 delivered please? ( with and without tweeter)

Would it not be possible to play the S12 quietly in my house as well as practise/ gig sessions - The physical size is no problem for me as I have space in house and van to move around in?
Cheers
MM