Why become a member? ×

£300 to spend on backup bass - recommendations?

citymariner

I've got my MIA P Bass as my main and only bass!

The other night whilst gigging it suddenly dawned on me, "What if I dropped it, broke it, swallowed it, lost it in another dimension..." It was an important gig where I would be unable to find a replacement quickly.

I was going to buy a new watch (Stowa Flieger) but at £500+ notes I'll wait for the £ v Euro to be a bit better.

[u][b]Are there any gems out there that are good value for above money? [/b][/u]
[list]
[*]I want something different to a P-Bass I think as I already own one.
[*]I don't want fretless, I'd love one but not as a backup bass having not really played one before.
[*]I'm not impartial to trying more strings.
[*]I don't want any awkward uncomfortable shapes that look amazing but are an effort to hold let alone play!
[*]No need for a case as I have one
[*]Could be active or passive. My P is active with EMGs.
[/list]

So far I've considered:

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 5 String - Andertons have it for £282 (I have £25 cash back and £10 in loyalty to collect)
- I've heard they are really well made for the price.

If it's a back up bass - stick to what you know and feels familiar.

I've carried an Epiphone Thunderbird and an OLP 5 string Stingray as back up in the past but these are different beasts to my Fender Jazz. The Thunderbird was much longer than the Jazz, and I kept having to look down at my fretting hand. And also had to wear it lower (they only look good when low-slung).

And the 5 just confused matters as they take time to adjust to if you're used to 4 stringers.

Anything in the vast Squier VM range seems to be calling. And add the Matt Freeman model to that list maybe?

If it were my £300 I would go for a Westone Thunder IA or IIA and put the change towards my watch.

Or (shameless plug alert) buy my genuine 'loft find' Washburn Scavenger, :) which I have almost certainly decided to part with. It plays like a P-Bass, sounds like a P-Bass (weighs as much as a P-Bass) but doesn't look like one. You'd have even more change to put to your watch, then! Or spend a bit on pimping it - hotter pups and a P-Retro.

Is there that much of difference between 4 and 5 stringers?

Obviously I'll go in to a shop and try etc.

Got to admit in trying to keep things similar yet having something slightly different the VM range does seem to be calling.

My MIA is very similar to that Matt Freeman model although mine has a P/J pick up config and Kahler bridge - a little too similar!

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1323004164' post='1458111']
Is there that much of difference between 4 and 5 stringers?

Obviously I'll go in to a shop and try etc.

Got to admit in trying to keep things similar yet having something slightly different the VM range does seem to be calling.

My MIA is very similar to that Matt Freeman model although mine has a P/J pick up config and Kahler bridge - a little too similar!
[/quote]
A lot of people find it really difficult to make the transition from four to five+ strings, but IME it was very straightforward. If I were you I'd probably skulk around the BC classifieds for a while and see what five strings pop up second hand. I'd go for variety rather than something very similar to your main bass.

If it helps,, your suggestion for your backup is my main bass whilst I rebuild the Yamaha.

I love it to bits. Had it, I think, 6 years now and to me it's fantastic.

Actually, I might be talking b0077ocks.

Mine is a Jazz five string deluxe active, I think.

Whatever, they're the same money and worth £282 any day of the week.
It's why I struggle to see much more value in any bass.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (the original Made In Japan series).

In their hey-day these were £750 basses, well-designed and beautifully made. For the last 10 years they've sold second-hand for silly-little money.

If you can get an SB320 in decent condition for less than £250, especially if it has the P/J configuration, just do it. You will be impressed.

Regarding the 5 string option - I got myself a 5 string as a back up but found that the extra string and the closer string spacing took a while to get used to. Not ideal if you want a back up to grab mid-gig. Unless you use the B string as a thumb rest. And that defeats the object of having a fiver.

But that's just me. Some people can switch back and forth with no problems.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1323006062' post='1458145']
I think there's a lot of sense in having a similar bass to your main one. When my main bass was a US Precision, I bought a Mex Precision as backup. Dunno what they go for these days, but I still have mine, and really like it.
[/quote]

This would be my approach.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1323004164' post='1458111']

Got to admit in trying to keep things similar yet having something slightly different
[/quote]

In that case, you cant go far wrong with the G&L Tribute SB2.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=G%26L+SB2+tribute&_sacat=See-All-Categories"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=G%26L+SB2+tribute&_sacat=See-All-Categories[/url]

I honestly can't think of any better bass for this kind of money: [url="http://www.musicjunkie.co.uk/product/Yamaha-BB414X-Electric-Bass-Vintage-White"]http://www.musicjunkie.co.uk/product/Yamaha-BB414X-Electric-Bass-Vintage-White[/url]

P/J configuration for a bit more versatility, certainly better built than a Mexican P... I tried one in a shop and it impressed me.