Why become a member? ×

Who else likes cheap strings ?

Slipperydick

Anybody else like cheap strings ?

I'm on my 3rd set of these and I love em for the price. Zingy but not klanky and dont take too much breaking in. Also unlike a lot of cheapo's you can get them in different guages. You just have to ignore what it says on the individual packets - unless you use really strange tunings anyway.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-STRINGS-NEW-NICKEL-MEDIUM-045-100-/400027776172?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d238374ac"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-STRINGS-NEW-NICKEL-MEDIUM-045-100-/400027776172?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d238374ac[/url]

Edited by Slipperydick

Was desperate to re-try flats on my Precision as years ago I tried Rotosounds and hated them. Didnt want to spend a fortune buying strings I would hate so got these from ebay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370525992524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370525992524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]. They're actually pretty nice, may get another set for my Jazz, until I decide whether to get the Steve Harris sig set.l

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1321717224' post='1442358']
I doubt it...[b]had too many iffy experiences of late with name brands[/b] so I am more than picky over strings.

If they work for some people then that is their call....but I don't think I'd waste my time and a few quid to find out, tbh.
[/quote]

Thats why I tried em, usually used Roto's but lately they aint been all that good, Although i have tried cheapo strings a good few times in the past with varying results.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1321717947' post='1442368']
Thats why I tried em, usually used Roto's but lately they aint been all that good
[/quote]

I found a set of Rotos the other day which must date from the early 90s, it will be interesting to see if they are superior to recent Rotos which have, as you say, been suffering from QC (or other) issues and are frankly, crap.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1321721662' post='1442436']
Well I use Roto Rounds, which I think are quite reasonable anyway, especially as once they`re on, I try not to change them, preferring them once they`ve "died".
[/quote]

I like my strings a bit dead - Played in being the techical term lol - but Rotos seem to clank more & for longer than they used to, then suddenly be too dull. with not long in between

For me, it all depends on the bass: I went through allsorts of strings for my Fortress, and the Hartke's I got for £15 for three sets just suit it down to the ground. At the other extreme, the DRs on my FrankenPJ are the very best I've had. Didn't have enough cash for DRs for the Fenderbird, so that's got D'Addarios, and they're really good on that. Horses/courses.

I'd rather spend a little bit more on Status or Rotosound, they're pretty good strings and last OK.

Personally I buy DR's, though at the moment I'm using R.Cocco strings. I figure they cost more, but they're reliable and last a lot, lot longer. I can easily get 5 or 6 months out of a set, that's playing for probably 5 or 6 hours most days too.

Now that is cheap! And free postage to boot.

I'm sticking to some middle ground here. I've been using Roto Nickel rounds lately and they have performed fine for me. Instead of changing them after quite a few months playing I cleam them in Methalated spirits, which you can read up upon. It really works, so get the strings that work for you and clean them when you feel you need to.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1321742696' post='1442733']
I'm sticking to some middle ground here. I've been using Roto Nickel rounds lately and they have performed fine for me. Instead of changing them after quite a few months playing I cleam them in Methalated spirits, which you can read up upon. It really works, so get the strings that work for you and clean them when you feel you need to.
[/quote]

This, for me, is no longer a a given. IME, some new batches of strings I've faithfully bought, have not been good on the bass in the first instance and had no chance of cleaning up either.
My pet theory is that they is a downgrade in some metals used altho..as in other threads, this is denied by makers.
Hmmmm I am not so sure.

Anyway, I changed from a nigh-on 20 yr assocaition with one brand because of this.
I haven't used the same amount of strings from alternative makers to know if this across the board or not, tho..

I am now using Newtone as the last few sets have been excellent.

I've always wondered if manufacturers actually know what they're doing with strings designed for their own basses. I love Fender flats on my Fender (admittedly it's currently sporting Rotosound flats) and nothing gives me the bright zinginess from my 'Rays quite as well as EB Slinkys.

I've never seen a set of strings that come individually wrapped in those plastic wrappers that are any good. I'm sure they all come from the same factory and they've all been equally bad.

You can get some great strings for not a fortune (the new Fenders for example at around £13 a set are excellent) but I like Elixir, they easily last me a year of gigging and rehearsing in two bands. Although expensive the outlay is less often, as is the ball-ache of changing strings.

Seem to be a lot of people on here with a bit of a blinkered view. I dont like all cheap strings, but I like the ones in my first post, and one or two other cheap brands are Ok as well. Its down to personal taste I know, but comments like 'Strings in plastic wrappers are usually no good'..... aww c'mon.

I can remember when there wasnt so much choice, so I used Rotos or Fenders for years, even Picato were good at one time then Elites or Warwicks, I dont like Hartkes, or Slinkys. and Rotos dont seem so good anymore to me for some reason.

Not ALL cheap strings are crap, Same as not ALL expensive ones are great. But in the spirit of the forum, if I, or anyone else finds something thats good AND cheap, then I reckon Its kind of a duty to passs the info on.

I bought a set of these for novelty value really - been on my MM for about a month and have settled in now - not bad for less than a tenner...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alice-Multi-Coloured-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Strings-/110752299748?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item19c959fae4"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19c959fae4[/url]

[color=#FF8C00][size=2][i]just noticed that this is my 800th post..[/i][/size][/color]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1322345835' post='1449850']
Seem to be a lot of people on here with a bit of a blinkered view. I dont like all cheap strings, but I like the ones in my first post, and one or two other cheap brands are Ok as well. Its down to personal taste I know, but comments like 'Strings in plastic wrappers are usually no good'..... aww c'mon.

I can remember when there wasnt so much choice, so I used Rotos or Fenders for years, even Picato were good at one time then Elites or Warwicks, I dont like Hartkes, or Slinkys. and Rotos dont seem so good anymore to me for some reason.

Not ALL cheap strings are crap, Same as not ALL expensive ones are great. But in the spirit of the forum, if I, or anyone else finds something thats good AND cheap, then I reckon Its kind of a duty to passs the info on.
[/quote]

I must have tried half a dozen different 'brands' of dirt cheap strings in the past and they've all been rough and clanky before going dead pretty quickly. The fact that nearly all of them have been packaged internally like the ones you've shown is purely an observation. In the spirit of the forum, Im simply offering an opinion based on my experience. I never said 'all' cheap strings are crap, in fact I suggested some great strings that aren't exactly a fortune.

I have no issue with anyone recommending anything, but please don't ask a question and take the moral high ground when you get an answer.

Edited by danhkr

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1322759915' post='1455595']
I must have tried half a dozen different 'brands' of dirt cheap strings in the past and they've all been rough and clanky before going dead pretty quickly. The fact that nearly all of them have been packaged internally like the ones you've shown is purely an observation. In the spirit of the forum, Im simply offering an opinion based on my experience. I never said 'all' cheap strings are crap, in fact I suggested some great strings that aren't exactly a fortune.

I have no issue with anyone recommending anything, but please don't ask a question and take the moral high ground when you get an answer.
[/quote]

[color=#0000cd][i][b]"I've never seen a set of strings that come individually wrapped in those plastic wrappers that are any good. I'm sure [u]they all come from the same factory and they've all been equally bad[/u]". [/b][/i][/color]

Aaww C'mon.

I'm not the kind to take the moral highground. I just didnt like the way you appeared to rubbish what I said about these strings without actually trying them.