Why become a member? ×

Your Bass Playing Quirks

Prime_BASS

I would say a fair few of us have a quirk or trait that makes us [i]us, [/i]in regards to bass playing or being a bass player. I would guess mine is electrical tape across my pickup.

Ive heard of some doing this but you'd be surprised at how many people believe I do it for aesthetics.
The real reason is of course do to my rather heavy technique, It helps prevent blisters from hitting the magnets too much and helps prevent the pop when the strings hit the magnets.

Just interested really if anyone else has something strange or unique they have to do or do on a ocassion.

I dont think buying gear all the time constitutes, a high percentage of us are guilty of that.

I have a bass face allegedly.

One thing i know i do is if i am doing a bit of (tasteful :)) slap i lift my right heel off the floor a bit. It gives me a better angle and i feel more comfortable doing it but i don't think i have seen anyone with this rather camp affliction. And before anyone asks, yes, i am married...

Dya know...I do that too, so much so that the drummers GF comments on it a lot, never realise it meself until she mentioned it, oddly though I don't slap, I just do it to twist the bass a bit so I can see what my fingers are doing on the G string. I believe there are pics of me offending!

I have the bass a bit high so the angle of my plucking wrist is cocked quite acutely...
I don't pluck, btw. :)

Out of all the things people might comment on...this crops up the most.
They don't know how I do it..I don't know what they are talking about.

Beats some of the more banal questions though...

[sub][size=4]My slightly [i]adaptive[/i] technique...[/size][/sub]
[sub][size=4]The 3rd/4th fingers of my fretting hand work in different ways depending on where I am on the fretboard... Up the deep end, the 4th covers the octave and the 9th. Towards the dusty end it switches to one finger per fret, regardless.[/size][/sub]
[sub][size=4]My plucking hand tends to move, too. For the upper registers, it moves up to the base of the neck - I like the smoother sound. For the low end, it heads back towards the bridge to give the extra clarity I favour. It's not an absolute, but it does happen a lot...[/size][/sub]

on my right hand which does the plinky plinky thing i recently noticed i play with my little finger sticking out - i do tend to use my [b]a[/b] a lot as well as my [b]i[/b] and [b]m[/b] :)

edit - haha i dint spot the post above on my tiny little screen - not just me then - maybe we should start up a forum support thread :)

Edited by steve-bbb

On bass guitar I pick with my index and ring fingers instead of index and middle finger. Sometimes the middle finger comes into it, couldn't tell you where or why but it gets picked with sometimes. I have no idea how I ended up doing this, and it's not beneficial in any way. Probably just because I never had lessons.

This bad habit hasn't followed me on to the double bass, thankfully.

Yep, without realising it for years I constantly tap with my left foot and my weight is on my right leg.
I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for all this rock and roll malarky and was wondering why one knee was getting painful after a long evening.

I had to make a conscious effort but have now mastered two footed tapping - another skill for the aspiring player.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1321559800' post='1440729']
According to all the photographic evidence, when I'm playing a root and octave, my middle finger sticks right up straight and it looks like I'm deliberately giving everyone the "finger"
[/quote]

hah hah guilty of the very same thing :) :)