Why become a member? ×

Your Bass Playing Quirks

Prime_BASS

Playing at the dusty end of the neck I have this annoying habit of tucking my little finger of my fretting hand under the fingerboard and only fretting with three fingers. I have to make an effort to stop myself doing it, and then when I'm not looking its gone again.

I have seen other players do it too but it annoys the hell out of me.

I hum whilst playing.

I never really noticed it until the first time I was recording bass in the control room of a studio - I wondered why the rest of the band were laughing at me.

I always thought my teeth were vibrating due to some odd frequencies coming from the amp...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1321557240' post='1440687']
I very cleverly play unconventional "surprise" notes, and sometimes play slightly off the beat too....... :)
[/quote]

Me too :) as a result of attending the Eric Morecambe school of bass.

How we laughed when I played a different song to the other three for a few bars...

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1321615124' post='1441159']
I hum whilst playing.
[/quote]

Yes, I do this too. Quite loudly hum the bass part I am playing and have to retreat from the mike to stop it coming over the pa. Casual viewing of any video footage reveals that, in addition I nod my head, lower my jaw and hollow out my cheeks, tap my feet and generally fidget. In fact I look a complete prat. But it is all done without realising.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1321610422' post='1441082']
Playing at the dusty end of the neck I have this annoying habit of tucking my little finger of my fretting hand under the fingerboard and only fretting with three fingers. I have to make an effort to stop myself doing it, and then when I'm not looking its gone again.

I have seen other players do it too but it annoys the hell out of me.
[/quote]

I tend to do that all the time no matter where on the fretboard. It also annoys me but have never been able to break myself of the habit.

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1321612356' post='1441116']
If the music is too loud on stage, it affects my balance, and i can be seen wandering/ falling off the side on a regular basis. I now where ear plugs :)
[/quote]

Ditto.....and I used to live in Birmingham, must be a connection.

My main quirk is using my little finger far too much on my fretting hand, or is that just crappy, lazy technique?

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1321621460' post='1441282']
Ditto.....and I used to live in Birmingham, must be a connection.

My main quirk is using my little finger far too much on my fretting hand, or is that just crappy, lazy technique?
[/quote]

It must be "in the water"...............

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1321559800' post='1440729']
According to all the photographic evidence, when I'm playing a root and octave, my middle finger sticks right up straight and it looks like I'm deliberately giving everyone the "finger"
[/quote]

me too! :)
And my oddest quirk is I play in my socks or if it's hot, barefeet.
T

Edited by LeftyBiskit

[quote name='JetKing' timestamp='1321632491' post='1441475']
I've also noticed I stand on one leg a lot.
[/quote]

Yep, me too. Also twist my other leg round the back of my standing leg.

Not my bass playing but when I get excited at a gig my backing/duet vocals get very shouty. Need to get a handle on that.

Edited by rOB