Why become a member? ×

Just picked up a 74 P Bass

Old Horse Murphy

Here's my latest acquisition; a 74 P bass (body and pots are late 1973). I've been told it's all original apart from the pickguard screws. I think I may well get a black pickguard for it as I prefer the look. The white guard is actually the right colour on natural Fenders of this era though.

It's in superb condition (has the usual wear on the edges on the maple fingerboard) and weighs a very comfortable 8lbs 8oz too :) In fact, I'd go as far to say it's in wonderful condition overall and the body is a gorgeous colour.

I won't pretend for 1 minute that it's a keeper forever and ever, but it is certainly going to be hanging arounds for a while!

[attachment=92511:03.jpg][attachment=92512:11.jpg][attachment=92513:29.jpg][attachment=92514:35.jpg]

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Great looking bass - well done!!

Interesting about the pickguard

I have a 74ish p bass that has been refinished in pink and has a white guard much like yours - I always thought the guard may not be original but now I think that it may infact be original

I would keep the white guard on it

Thank you for all the kind comments :)

I think I'll keep the white pickguard for a while.

It was strung with D'Addario Chromes this morning and has just been gigged by me for the first time. Very comfortable, light and sounds wonderful :)

What a superb neck with gorgeous figuring too. I'm very happy.

• 2 weeks later...